Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Dolby DSP100 rebooted during ingest

Author Topic: Dolby DSP100 rebooted during ingest
Peter Foyster
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-07-2018 09:22 PM      Profile for Peter Foyster   Email Peter Foyster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I make up a short, 5 second, tab to add to each trailer I screen. It shows the dates that the feature is screening and the classification.

I made up about 8 of these, each one in a scope and flat version, as I sometimes don't know the format of the trailer beforehand.

I selected all of the tabs from the USB stick, using the control key to bypass content that I did not want to ingest.

It started to ingest and then came up with a message that the Show Player needed to reboot. When it came back up I noticed that all but two of the tabs showed as failed. The Show Store did not need a reboot.

I then selected two at a time and ingested them successfully. They all played back fine.

Is this typical behaviour of the DSP 100 software, where it does not like having too many items selected at once? Each one generally takes about 3 seconds to ingest. Perhaps the poor thing just got confused!

|  IP: Logged

Alexandre Pereira
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-07-2018 10:07 PM      Profile for Alexandre Pereira   Author's Homepage   Email Alexandre Pereira   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did it reboot the system or did it just log out and restart the show player?

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 03-07-2018 10:37 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Might be worth pulling a log from your DSS100 and uploading it to Dolby log analyzer - you don't need to register or jump through any hoops in order to use this online tool.

It could be that the ingestion and the spontaneous DSP reboot are not related, and that the two events happening simultaneously are coincidental.

Peter Foyster
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-07-2018 10:45 PM      Profile for Peter Foyster   Email Peter Foyster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it just restarted the Show Player so not really a reboot per se.

I will check the logs but I am fairly confident that the restart is related to the ingest. It has never happened before and I have never tried to load so many items at once before.

I just thought it might be a bug like the one that prevents scrolling occasionally.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 03-08-2018 04:19 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I assume it said something like "there has been an unexpected error and the ShowManager needs to be restarted".
Try the ingest again, it can happen and may be unrelated to the ingest.
What software version are you running?

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 03-08-2018 08:01 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unless Peter has updated since this thread, an ancient one.

My comment was based on the fact that the DSP is effectively just a media block in a 3RU box. The server is usually only interacting with the media block during playback or KDM ingestion. Therefore, assuming that no playback was taking place at the time of the incident, and that the DCPs Peter was ingesting were not encrypted, I can't think of an obvious reason why a problem ingesting would cause the DSP to crash.

I've just looked at my file of DSS software and release notes, and can't find any release notes covering pre-4.7. Therefore, if there were any bug fixes related to DSP100 crashes in 4.4 through 4.6, I don't have the documentation listing them. There is nothing in the 4.7 fixes and improvements that looks relevant. There's a ton of entries relating to the 862 and the 745, but nothing for the DSP100.

A clean reinstall of the DSP100 software (checking the "nuke absolutely everything and start over" box in the bottom right of the media block software update app) might help, too, but he'd need a copy of the Show Player installer for his current version, plus a KDM.

Peter Foyster
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-08-2018 08:55 AM      Profile for Peter Foyster   Email Peter Foyster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A clean install is the plan once the outdoor cinema season ends in April. I even purchased another of the WD gold 1TB hard drives and a cru enclosure so that I can backup all the content I need to retain. The drive has been formatted to Linux EXT3.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-08-2018 09:50 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And it IS running off a UPS?????

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 03-08-2018 12:06 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Peter - what software, and in which (exact) version are you using to create these tabs? I guess it's no big deal, if it stays a rare glitch, but in case that USB stick has been used often, maybe buy a new one.

- Carsten

Alexandre Pereira
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-08-2018 04:32 PM      Profile for Alexandre Pereira   Author's Homepage   Email Alexandre Pereira   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have had this restart of the Show Player both on my DSS100 and DSS200 happen a few times. Never caused a problem - we just relogin the Show Player user. I would get a new USB stick just to be safe.
On a side note - does the latest update from Dolby for the DSS100 allow for 30fps and 25fps playback?

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 03-08-2018 06:19 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No - it appears that the DSS100/DSP100 will only ever support 24fps for j2k DCPs.

- Carsten

Peter Foyster
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-08-2018 07:37 PM      Profile for Peter Foyster   Email Peter Foyster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is running off a UPS.

I am using DCP-o-Matic V 2.9.27. I will be upgrading to the version recommended by Carsten in a previous post.

My gut feeling is that trying to ingest multiple small files (around 40mb each) caused the issue. I vaguely recall a similar thing happening a couple of years ago when I selected several DCPs to ingest together rather than doing them one at a time.

I was able to ingest all the same files that failed, two at a time and they all tested fine.

I think you would have needed to be there at the time it happened to figure what might have caused the restart. I would hazard a guess that the system definitely does not like doing multiple 3 second ingests!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: