Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Worried About Bulb Dying

Author Topic: Worried About Bulb Dying
Bradley J Sime
Film Handler

- posted 02-15-2018 09:29 PM      Profile for Bradley J Sime   Author's Homepage   Email Bradley J Sime       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a CDXL 18-SD lamp running in a Christie 2210 that is currently at 1761 hours. I've ordered another lamp, but it's in transit. Should I be freaking out? I am freaking out.

My temperatures are all okay - Lamp exhaust is 50c, integrator is 56c

The manual for the 2210 says I should change the lamp at 1500 hrs, the warranty is for 1750, and the Christie site for the lamp says 2100...so, should I be freaking out?

|  IP: Logged

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 02-15-2018 09:46 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Will freaking out change anything? Just go on, it is not likely that this bulb burst while the new one is in transit. I suggest for the future you always have a replacement on site. Do you ignite that bulb multiple times a day, or only once?

- Carsten

Bradley J Sime
Film Handler

- posted 02-15-2018 09:49 PM      Profile for Bradley J Sime   Author's Homepage   Email Bradley J Sime       Edit/Delete Post 
No, we basically ignite it once a day. I have a few old bulbs lying around that have 1750 on them, as well.
Yeah, I usually have another one here, but it's been a crazy month and it slipped my mind.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 02-15-2018 11:30 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't freak out. I once had a bulb that I thought had a 1500-hour warranty, that turned out to have a 1000-hour. I didn't realize it until the thing was at 1450 hours. I was sort of freaking out especially when I went to change it, but we were fine.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 02-16-2018 06:35 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't freak out. Christie/Ushio lamps don't explode that often at all and many go way over warranty. Now if you were running other brands...well...

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 02-16-2018 07:19 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It has an estimated average life expectancy of 2100 hours and you get a "100%" warranty of 1750 hours. So, there's nothing to freak out about.

It's good that you're a bit worried though, it keeps you on the edge on those things and avoids possible mayhem if you continue to let it slip. [Wink]

As others pointed out, just keep the amount of ignites to a minimum and everything should just turn out fine. Take the usual precautions when changing it. Try not to freak out, a good quality bulb slightly over its warranty isn't much more dangerous than one slightly under.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: