Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Video problems after DSV-J2 Upgrade

Author Topic: Video problems after DSV-J2 Upgrade
Robert Sand
Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2018 11:25 AM      Profile for Robert Sand   Email Robert Sand   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have much experience with Doremi, but I've been working on an old DSV-J2 at work and is slowly figuring things out. It was running SW 0.5.4-2 and FW 20.01v when I started working on it, everything was working pretty good. When we got a movie transit box from Unique Digital, I wanted a user interface for FTP ingestion to make it easy for the non-Linux personnel that love their mouse at work.

I upgraded it to 2.6.4 as suggested by doremi-techno-legacy-portal (probably not the best upgrade path), FW 21.01n, the hotfix and optionals. Sound (AES) works great, but I can't seem to get video output.

It has a Dolphin 1.0 board (2 BNCs, not encapsulated). According to the legacy-portal I should be running FW 20.4n, but I can't find that version. /proc/dolphin0 looks good.

Could this be because of wrong firmware or am I missing something else here? Any suggestions are very much appreciated!

Thanks

|  IP: Logged

Adrian Avram
Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2018 12:06 PM      Profile for Adrian Avram   Email Adrian Avram   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,
According to my informations, your board can have fw 21.04n
Not sure if a KDM is needed.
I can provide you this version of firmware.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 02-12-2018 02:31 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From 0.5 to 2.6.4 in one go?

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 02-12-2018 08:31 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've only seen the DSV-J2 with the older media block card... Dolphin B or something? - with 4 BNC connectors. I don't think these can play encrypted DCPs? Do you have a projector with D-Cinema boards (TI cinema board for S1 or Enigma for S2)?
I don't know what versions will work in the DSV... sw v2.8.16 is rather optimized for the newer motherboards and isn't entirely functional with the old Intel boards. v2.6.4 is the last version released before 2.8.16.
Software is not sensitive to upgrade path as far as I know, the entire package is updated and no intermediate steps are required. Downgrades are no problem.
But... audio/video is handled by the media block, and fw v21.04n is the current version for the Dolphin DCI 1.0. Maybe they had a non-DCI version used in the DSV? I haven't seen any problems with 21.04N so far on DCP2000s but we have very very few v1.0 boards in use. Doremi stuck with 21.04h for a LONG time, I don't know what "n" did... probably SMPTE package support. You can call Dolby cinema support in the usa or email cinemasupport@dolby.com - there are some Doremi guys there that have been doing it for as long as there's been Doremi and they will probably help you out. Doremitechno is kinda not updated since Dolby took over.
You can get a log package and submit it at http://loganalyzer.dolbycustomer.com - this claims to support the DSV - the result will tell you what versions are current.

Robert Sand
Film Handler

- posted 02-13-2018 06:59 AM      Profile for Robert Sand   Email Robert Sand   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adrian,
Thank you, I've sent you a PM.

Marco,
Yes 0.5 to 2.6.4 in one go... Don't think that is the problem though.

Dave,
Yes, Dolphin B seems to be what is normally in a DSV, but this one doesn't have that. I don't know if it is DCI or non-DCI, but probably some special non-DCI. I do believe that it can't play encrypted DCPs.

No special projector, we just convert SDI to HDMI. Video is just static noise. Loganalyzer says I should upgrade to 2.8.16, but I'm not so sure about that...

I'll try to contact Dolby cinema support. Thank you very much!

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 02-13-2018 08:50 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You have a Dolphin 1.0 non-epoxy, that one can play public encrypted content as long as it is a standard board that is not blacklisted.
The blacklisted ones have link encryption and watermarking disabled even for encrypted content. But I guess you are not interested in playing encrypted content anyway? And you don't want link encryption because of the HD-SDI->HDMI conversion.

What does the GUI say about the installed media block?

This is probably very old, you may also think about replacing the battery on the Dolphin board, though I don't know in how far this impacts playout of unencrypted content, but it is certainly not a bad idea to put in a new battery. Nevertheless, follow Doremis battery change instructions.

The snow you see may be caused by the link encryption that now kicks in with the new software, so the HD-SDI->HDMI conversion does no longer work. This is no problem for audio.

You may (as root) try # echo -n 0> /doremi/etc/cinelink

That disables link encryption. Maybe the update you performed had re-enabled link encryption for HD-SDI.

- Carsten

Robert Sand
Film Handler

- posted 02-13-2018 09:36 AM      Profile for Robert Sand   Email Robert Sand   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Carsten,

>You have a Dolphin 1.0 non-epoxy, that one can play public >encrypted content as long as it is a standard board that is not >blacklisted.

Ah, good to know! Can't see any reason it would be blacklisted.

>The blacklisted ones have link encryption and watermarking >disabled even for encrypted content. But I guess you are not >interested in playing encrypted content anyway? And you don't >want link encryption because of the HD-SDI->HDMI conversion.

Exactly, as of right now we don't need to be able to play encrypted content. It's something we might look in to in the future, but for now unencrypted is all we need.

>What does the GUI say about the installed media block?

* Everything under Projector is Unknown
* Media Decoder says Video watermark Thomson 1.11, Audio watermark Thomson 3.13. Before the update there was no watermarking at all.
* SM is N/A and nothing in the listbox.

>This is probably very old, you may also think about replacing >the battery on the Dolphin board, though I don't know in how far >this impacts playout of unencrypted content, but it is certainly >not a bad idea to put in a new battery. Nevertheless, follow >Doremis battery change instructions.

I will absolutely do this. A message pops up on boot saying that the battery was not replaced in time. Does that mean the battery is flat or simply that it needs to be replaced before that happens? I don't really know when the system was serviced since we got the hardware around a year ago.

>The snow you see may be caused by the link encryption that now >kicks in with the new software, so the HD-SDI->HDMI conversion >does no longer work. This is no problem for audio.

>You may (as root) try # echo -n 0> /doremi/etc/cinelink

/doremi/etc/cinelink did not exist before running this, and echo:ing 0 to create it did sadly not fix the issue.

Thanks for your input

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 02-13-2018 10:00 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think no SM is okay for this board, as it carries no Security Manager.
The battery warning is purely software/timer based, but given the initial software was 0.5, it his highly likely that it is actually depleted.

You need to contact Dolby/Doremi with the serial number of this Dolphincard/DSV-J2, they may be able to tell you wether the issue is fixable. It may be that this card needs reserialization.

Blacklisted cards were common for post production houses, so that they were able to play their encrypted content without Cinelink encryption and watermarking. They were blacklisted to prevent KDMs for commercially encrypted content to be created for them, or, if they were part of a digital IMAX xenon installation.

- Carsten

Robert Sand
Film Handler

- posted 02-14-2018 03:27 PM      Profile for Robert Sand   Email Robert Sand   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks again for all help guys! I sent a mail to Dolby and they responded very quickly. They sent me FW 20.4n and after flashing that everything is working again. [thumbsup]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: