Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » DM8 Plus Software Download (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: DM8 Plus Software Download
Dan Judge
Film Handler

- posted 02-04-2018 07:11 AM      Profile for Dan Judge   Email Dan Judge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If anyone can point me in the direction or share a link for the 64bit version of the software for the DM8+ i would be very thankful.

For a while there has been an issue with our set up where the DM8 will start back up with the last input that was selected. IDEALLY, this would be set to input 5, which is our main AV system (we have the DCP on a different input).

Can anyone help?

|  IP: Logged

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 02-04-2018 08:28 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
PM sent to you

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 02-05-2018 08:03 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if Dave covered this in his PM, but if you're using a later version of Windows than 7, the software might not install properly, giving you a driver error (won't install unsigned drivers).

There is a workaround for this to force 8, 8.1 and 10 to install the driver anyways, but I can't remember how to do it.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 02-05-2018 08:33 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's a general procedure for modern windows variants, google for 'installing unsigned drivers'.

- Carsten

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 02-05-2018 10:40 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To continue on the driver rant
After every win10 major update the drivers for the PCA, The PSA and the D2 do not work are in fact deleteed
wish there was a way to make windows leave them alone or these manufactures get the drivers signed

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-05-2018 12:47 PM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gordon,

Have you or anyone else had the issue where if your PC goes into screen saver mode (where you have to log back in with your password) it will no longer "see" the D2 controller unless you restart with driver signature enforcement disabled? If so is there any known work around?

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 02-05-2018 02:11 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not had that problem yet
but as Leslie our IT guru keeps telling me "for what they charge for this gear they should provide signed drivers as it is not that expensive to do"

Mike Renlund
Film Handler

- posted 02-06-2018 11:43 AM      Profile for Mike Renlund   Email Mike Renlund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dolby has just released to www.dolbycustomer.com new 64-bit versions of some applications, now with signed USB drivers. The following software has been released:

Dolby Software Update
Dolby Media Block
Dolby CP750
Dolby DMA8Plus
Dolby NA10 Setup
Dolby DFC100

Enjoy.

Mike Renlund
Dolby

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 02-06-2018 05:43 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome!

Win10 still is very evil though. Who owns their computer? Why can't one declare that they just don't WANT the stupid updates?

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 02-07-2018 08:29 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At the risk of going off topic, IMHO, the improvements in 10 over 7 vastly outweigh the drawbacks, of which the involuntary updates (unless you have an enterprise license as distinct from a consumer version, which gives you a lot more flexibility as to when and how to update) is the biggest.

The idea is basically that consumers act as the guinea pigs for new bug fixes, and then when Microsoft is convinced that they work reliably on a critical mass of PCs in the field, then they release them to the (supposedly) more mission critical machines running enterprise versions. They did give us the update from 7 for free, and so I suppose they needed to fund that somehow. However, I do believe that they should have been a little more honest about their business model. Same goes for the targeted ads, etc. - though you can turn all of that stuff off, if you're prepared to educate yourself as to how to do so. With most Android and Apple equivalents, you can't.

Very good news that the Dolby apps for their older hardware (much of which is still in revenue earning service, because it was so well designed and made to start with) are now available for W10 without hacks or workarounds being needed.

Steve Guttag

- posted 02-07-2018 12:05 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll continue the Off topic briefly...just what are the "benefits" to Win10, as it pertains to working on cinema equipment?

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 02-07-2018 12:55 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What were the benefits of Vista , Win 7, or Win8 over XP?
Mostly it's about support, MS doesn't update the "obsolete" ones and there have been some pretty major security bugs "fixed" over the years.
I will probably hold on to 7 way too long. I do work with some 10 systems and have almost figured out how to do the common things but some "features" still plain annoy me. Not getting as steaming homicidal mad as if I'm forced to try and use a Mac, but not very happy.

Steve Guttag

- posted 02-07-2018 02:41 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Vista? None. 8? None unless you were on the touchy-feely computers (hence both should have been skipped). 7 brought about compatibility with programs that XP didn't run. That is what got me to Win7 is when XP wasn't a supported OS or because my XP was a 32 bit OS and the program required 64 bit.

Conversely, Microsoft is forcing an OS update that software developers don't seem to be requiring yet. I have no plans to switch to Win10, especially until they realize who owns the computer. You don't get to invade my computer unless I say you can (updates). On Win7, I do allow my laptop to find out about updates but they are not allowed to download, let alone install until I say they can. If I'm in the field, I don't need the laptop, at the direction of Microsoft, to take me off line until it is done doing its thing or to consume bandwidth while I'm trying to get a theatre on line. It's MY computer, not Microsoft's.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 02-07-2018 03:32 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed with everything that Steve said above.

There actually is a 64-bit version of WinXP, but it was poorly supported by hardware manufacturers and never became a mainstream product.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 02-07-2018 07:21 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can disable the windows update service for WIN10 in Administration/Services. Pro (not just Enterprise ) versions allow you to postpone feature upgrades through a GUI setting.
Not that this makes me switching to WIN10, I'll be staying on 7 as long as possible, just as I did with XP.

- Carsten

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: