Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » NEC NC2000C Randomly Shutting Down

Author Topic: NEC NC2000C Randomly Shutting Down
Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 01-23-2018 07:38 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We are randomly having an issue on two different projectors where the projector will randomly shut down. Unfortunately this isn't leaving any footprint on the projector logs that I can find.

Power Supply, Operation and Error logs are attached from when both auditoriums shut down around 8:15 Saturday night.
 -
 -
 -

-
 -
 -

All of our projectors are wired with the projector side split from the lamp house. The projector side goes into a UPS.

Any feedback about where to look for the issue would be appreciated.

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 01-24-2018 07:46 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not quite sure what you are showing us in the logs. I'd suspect the UPS, myself. The UPS you are using, are the batteries over 3-years old? UPS batteries should be changed every 3-5 years.

What type of UPS (double-conversion or line interactive)? NEC projectors are notorious for not tolerating ANY blips in the power. I use double-conversion UPSes on them since there is a zero transfer time on switching to UPS power (it is always UPS power). Note, Christie's can be fussy too but NECs are the most fussy.

I'm guessing that there is nothing else plugged into that UPS that might log as well? That is, if you had an automation that logged the power event, you would know that the UPS didn't maintain power.

You could experiment and yank the power cord on those UPSes and observe how those projectors respond too.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 01-24-2018 08:00 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Seconded. Had a support call describing the exact same symptoms on a 3240 last month. After looking at the logs and exhausting all the other possibilities I could think of, we took the card cage power supply off the UPS (I didn't personally: this was a remote site I was helping by phone, email and Teamviewer) and the problems went away.

Turned out that the UPS was a 7-year old Tripp-Lite. The theatre owner was pleasantly surprised when I revealed to her that a $50 battery replacement was likely all she needed, rather than an entirely new UPS unit. I guess that did the trick, because we haven't heard anything from her since.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-24-2018 12:19 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We had a similar issue, but luckily didn't happen during a show -- we had turned the projector completely off due to a scheduled power outage in town, and when I went to turn it back on, it wouldn't start at all. Turned out the culprit was the batteries in the UPS not having enough poop to regenerate after the power was restored. New batteries fixed it. We actually got 7 years out of those batteries.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 01-25-2018 08:05 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Guttag
I'm not quite sure what you are showing us in the logs.
Primarily it was to show when the shutdown event happened in case there was something I was missing that might indicate a problem.

I had a feeling the UPS might be the problem. I just wanted feedback in case there were other things to look for.

Stefan Vogels
Film Handler

- posted 01-26-2018 10:31 AM      Profile for Stefan Vogels   Email Stefan Vogels   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is a setting in the DCC to alter the behaviour of the projector when it fails to strike the lamp.

It can either be set to cool down the lamp or put the projector to standby. It might be worthwhile to check, if indeed the projector goes to standby in your case.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 01-26-2018 03:26 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stefan, each time this has happened it was mid-show when the lamp was already running.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: