Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Sony SRX515P

Author Topic: Sony SRX515P
Vincent Carton
Film Handler

- posted 01-23-2018 12:25 PM      Profile for Vincent Carton         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello,

is anyone has experience with the Sony SRX515-P? Reliabilty, stability of calibration in time, maintenance, etc? I'm searching for a 4k projector for color grading .

Thank you,

Vincent

|  IP: Logged

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 01-23-2018 05:31 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Then the 515 is probably not your best choice. We operate one in our cinema since about 5 years, and I know many people also using them daily in cinemas.

It's an excellent machine, very pleasing to look at the picture, great contrast, deep black levels, after five years of experience I would buy it again without much thinking.

BUT - they do need more maintenance than the typical DLP machine to keep picture stable, more frequent recalibration, cleaning, etc.

Another major issue when using them for grading work is that the only realtime signal input is HDMI 1.4a (up to 12 bit), but without 4k capability. That is, other than compiling a 4k DCP, there is no other way to input 4k signals into it, e.g. from an editing or grading workstation.

There are two 4k capable input boards available (quad DVI/quad HD-SDI), but they cost a fortune. Something in the 10.000€ range is the last quote I heard.

https://www.sony.co.uk/pro/product/digital-cinema-other-accessories/qmcb-sdi/overview/

In europe and some other parts of the world, there is a stripped down model available, the 510p, which offers only 4 lamp slots instead of 6, but is otherwise identical. The rebate on this model is considerable, given that all is missing is two lamps and their power supplies. The difference in price will make up for the cost of the quad HD-SDI board.

- Carsten

Vincent Carton
Film Handler

- posted 01-28-2018 02:06 PM      Profile for Vincent Carton         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

thanks for your answer. Yes the picture is better than dlp projectors. But i'm much confident with them, as i heard some issues with sonys(calibration issues ). I'm a bit confused with the coming of HDR in cinema(eclair color) as they use sony sxr510p-515p. What is the best choice to make for the future... I heard they may qualify barco laser phosphor

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 01-28-2018 03:05 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Eclair Color is planned to be available for the HC Barco LP machines as well. However, I guess they will cost twice as much as a Sony 510/515.
Honestly I don't know what the current Eclair Color grading suites use - maybe a HDR display, maybe a Sony with the Quad-SDI input board and frequent recalibration?
I guess grading suites do calibrate more often anyway. Sony has dedicated calibration equipment to be used with their projectors, which adds to the cost.

- Carsten

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: