Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Barco vs NEC

Author Topic: Barco vs NEC
Armand Daiguillon
Film Handler

- posted 01-17-2018 02:30 PM      Profile for Armand Daiguillon   Email Armand Daiguillon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any opinions on a Barco DP2k-6E vs NEC NC900C ?

These seem to be the smallest dci compliant projectors that are "the full package" (built in server etc)
I'm leaning toward the Barco because its cheaper....anybody have experience with these ?

Thanks !!

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-17-2018 05:00 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The NC-900 had a few issues when it came out but NEC appears to have mopped those up pretty well. I installed about 35 of them in the beginning for hold out theaters that didn't have lots of money to spend. I had issues with approximately 5 of them over the three year warranty. The lamps were the biggest issue, and those are way more reliable than they were in the beginning, I see many lamps that now make warranty hours. You will see light levels fall off quicker than with Xenon, so it has to be utilized within it's limitations. Many went way out of bounds with them.
Can't speak for Barco because I went all NEC on 334 screens. I have had zero failures of NC-1200 and NC-2000 except the white circuit breaker that everyone insists is the the power switch. But none of those $70 German breakers have failed in quite some time now either.

Mark

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 01-17-2018 05:05 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm, I deal with both, I like both. With a small advantage towards the DP2K-6E IF it comes with the Barco ICMP server - simply because that server is very capable, and it integrates nicely, projector and server both administrated through communicator. I heard that in some overseas market, the Barco is offered with other IMS at a lower price. Don't know if that is true, and if, why.

The NEC has a real dowser. When I learned that the DP2K-6E only offers electronic blanking and no dowser, I was a bit disappointed, I would have paid a higher price for a real dowser. However, the signal switching and macro execution of the Barco is fast and clean, so, in reality I don't really miss the dowser. Yes, there is always a bit of residual light on screen during blanking, but, you get what you pay for...

I think that the Barco is bit easier to perform maintenance and repairs on. The NEC is no fun to disassemble. If that's important, the Barco is quite a bit less noisier than the NEC. It also offers a bit more light, however, there is the NC1000. But I don't know how the NC1000 is priced. If you are only offered the NEC with the 'old' IMS1000, then stay away from it, that one has a horrible failure rate.

The NEC is the only S2K machine with a 4-6.4:1 lens throw option, if that is relevant.

- Carsten

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 01-18-2018 04:29 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
have NEC fixed the lens positioning issue with the 900? It used to be an issue as the picture would not go back to the same place twice!
I am not too experienced with the 6E but I believe the NEC lacks a "feedback" on the lamp while the Barco features the CLO as usual. While changing power on HPM lamps may not be what you want (colours will drift), NOT having that option is not great either.

Sascha F. Roll
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-18-2018 07:56 AM      Profile for Sascha F. Roll   Email Sascha F. Roll   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For a start I wouldn‘t „want“ to use any of the two as they both have shitty contrast and super shitty Black Levels, worse than any 3000€ home cinema video projector.

Back to the question: which one would I take? Barco every single time. No Dowser, yes that sucks. Just compare the stability of Lens Zoom, Shift and Focus between the NEC and the Barco.. Barco wins every time.

As Carsten has pointed out: order the 6E with the ICMP and you get a VERY powerful Integrated Server.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-18-2018 04:11 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Carsten Kurz
The NEC is no fun to disassemble.
That might be an understatement! I've had to pull a few NC-900 lens mounts out to fix NEC's shorted wire mistake, and that's a 4 hour job! The power supply end of things isn't too bad to work on and replacing the lower lamp ballast is about a two hour or less job. Oh, and don't drop any screws down inside the thing. They are all non magnetic, so your magnetic grabber isn't going to work. Turn the projector over and shake it out! But overall they have been pretty reliable...

And never ever buy one with the NEC IMS. Its a real turd of a server. Spend the extra money and get one of the GDC IMB servers. You will live happily ever after.

Mark

Stephan Shelley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-18-2018 04:47 PM      Profile for Stephan Shelley   Email Stephan Shelley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Should be mentioned that the 900C is no longer being made and has been replaced by the NEC 1000. No support for the legacy boards so HDSDI is no longer an option. Have to use an IMB or IMS.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 01-18-2018 06:07 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
Oh, and don't drop any screws down inside the thing.
Funny you mention that. While changing a lower ballast on one I did indeed drop one screw down. I merely wrapped sticky tape to the end of my long screwdriver, and pulled the screw out. There is normally more than one way to skin a cat!

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 01-18-2018 06:25 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I dislike the lack of a dowser on the DP2K-6E. I've always thought the dowser was part of some of the DCI specifications, but I must have imagined things.

The DP2K-6E uses a color filter in DCI mode, which eats up an enormous amount of light. Actually, meeting specs at a 20ft screen can be a challenge.

The biggest advantage of the DP2K-6E compared to the 900C is most definitely the noise. While you could easily operate the Barco inside the room for a temporary, film-festival-style setup, I'd not do so with the NEC.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-19-2018 11:24 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Guttag
I merely wrapped sticky tape to the end of my long screwdriver
Damit Steve! You gave away the secret... Just the image in my mind of two people turning one over to shake out a screw is a hilarious picture in itself.

Mark

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 01-19-2018 10:16 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You need to be able to see and/or reach the screw for that to work. I wish they would use magnetic stainless screws if they insist on stainless...
I can guarantee that there are quite a few projectors with lost screws rattling around somewhere down there. I've unpacked new ones and had screws fall out when we had to tip them sideways to get through narrow doors - so it's not just service techs dropping them.
All DCI projectors use light-sucking yellow notch filters to get DCI colors - not sure about Sony but the others do. Yes they dim the image. No, don't remove them... maybe if you use a 900C or 6E at a drive-in where nobody really cares about color and correcting to DCI means losing a huge amount of light because of the rancid screen paint color...
I would take the Barco over the NEC but, as I've said before, we tend to like what we're familiar with. Probably Mark would be a Barco evangelist if he had chosen Barco years ago instead of NEC. I've worked with Barco, Christie, and NEC. Mostly Barco so that's what I'm most familiar with and recommend.
The 6E is no great joy to work on, no projector designed to be as compact as possible will be (ahh, if they were only all like a CP2000SB with lots of room to get at the guts!) but the Christie CP2000M/CP2210 is arguable worse and the NC900C/1000C is just diabolical.
Satan and his vilest demons, filled with hellspawned raging hate for us pure-hearted godly service techs, must have designed the NEC NC1100L.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-20-2018 02:17 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Totally agree on the NC-1100, the NC-900 was the practice step to getting there. I'd never sell one of those to anyone.
[Eek!]

Mark

Armand Daiguillon
Film Handler

- posted 01-20-2018 03:30 PM      Profile for Armand Daiguillon   Email Armand Daiguillon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you all for the info, looks like I will be going with the Barco.

I appreciate all the input and general info.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: