Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » dolby cp650 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: dolby cp650
Kannan Prabhu G
Film Handler

- posted 01-16-2018 05:03 AM      Profile for Kannan Prabhu G   Author's Homepage   Email Kannan Prabhu G   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hi

sir i want dolby cp650 windos 7 OS any expaly

|  IP: Logged

Stephan Shelley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-18-2018 02:22 PM      Profile for Stephan Shelley   Email Stephan Shelley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you talking about the setup software. It is available from Dolby support. One thing is you will need a serial port on the setup computer to use it. The Ethernet port can not be used for setup on a CP650.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-19-2018 11:26 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The best use I have found for them so far...

-

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 01-19-2018 11:46 AM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, please! Something like 40,000 cinemas did not agree with you. It is getting on in years like so many things and people too.

Now to be fair, I did the same picture with an SDDS reader years ago while we were moving AA11's so I do get it.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 01-19-2018 11:53 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark--so, if you don't like CP650s, what is your sound equipment preference for a venue that requires modern 35mm playback capability? By "modern," I mean support of analog sound formats, SRD, and DTS?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-19-2018 02:28 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
There is nothing wrong with a CP650 Mark. You are just trolling again for no reason other than to troll.

My only beefs with the CP650 are:
*Inability to play format 43 (but in fairness by the time the CP650 was released, basically nobody had a need to play 70mm mag tracks)

*Digital audio input is a joke...aka "RoboSound"...which can be overcome by simply using an external D>A converter with digital cinema.

Other than that it's a pretty damn good processor. The A and SR noise reduction is quite good too.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 01-19-2018 02:43 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would use a CP65/DA20 combo and a more recent digital processor, either cascaded or with a switch.

- Carsten

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 01-19-2018 03:30 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad,

As Odd as it may sound, an Optical preamp, Suitable 363 chassis, an MPU-1 and Q-SYS and you've pretty much lost the need for the CP65 or CP200. The Q-SYS will do format 43 (just set up the crossovers/summers and "snapshots." You could probably do away with the optical preamp and just use the Q-SYS mic in and, if need be, a loading resistor. Use up to three Dolby 363s for SR or A NR and again, setting up snap shots, you can have noise reduction on legacy formats. Certainly, the easy button is using a suitable cinema processor to decode "film" things.

The CP650 also lacked SR NR for 70mm (at least I don't think you could apply SR to 6-channels) and by the end of mag 70mm, it was all SR and mostly format 43 (that I ran).

I don't agree on using a D/A converter for DCinema. You've degraded the audio with your converter and then took another hit converting it right back and also gave up 2-channels of DCP (MOST movies are Surround 7.1 now and that costs near zero to implement). CP650s are just a film processor for me now. The few sites that have CP650s running DCinema were relatively early conversions for us, before we knew of Robosound and they all retained film so the CP650 made sense.

We just INSTALLED a CP650, in fact, to run film at one of the museums downtown. They have DCinema too but the CP650 JUST handles film.

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-19-2018 08:34 PM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know what robosound is but what’s the cause? Did Dolby ever address it?

Harold Hallikainen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-19-2018 08:44 PM      Profile for Harold Hallikainen   Author's Homepage   Email Harold Hallikainen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe the issue was that the AES/EBU receiver for one pair provided clock for the other pairs. Any clock skew between pairs resulted in misclocked data on the remaining pairs. I THINK the clock was derived from pair 1 and used to drive the other pairs. As such, left/right should not have this effect, but the other channels, including center, would. USL made an SRC-100 (no longer in production) to resync the pairs. This seems to have resolved the issues.

Harold

Stephan Shelley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-19-2018 10:47 PM      Profile for Stephan Shelley   Email Stephan Shelley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dolby has beta software that may help. You can get it from Dolby Support. It works in some cases. If you do use the beta software you will get a pop when switching in and out of a digital format.

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 02-04-2019 06:51 AM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 380 days since the last post.

Kannan Prabhu G
Film Handler

- posted 02-04-2019 06:51 AM      Profile for Kannan Prabhu G   Author's Homepage   Email Kannan Prabhu G   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DOLBY CP650 SOFTWARE CORRUPT HOW TO FKASH

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 02-04-2019 11:35 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Guttag
We just INSTALLED a CP650, in fact, to run film at one of the museums downtown. They have DCinema too but the CP650 JUST handles film.
We are always on the lookout to acquire used ones to refurb and resell and/or install. We install about 2-3 a year ourselves, in precisely this configuration.

The Datasat AP20 with the analog 35mm optical preamp card is another option, if it's still in production. If it's fully loaded with 16 AES input and output channels it's an option I personally like, because it's extremely flexible as far as channel routing and automation goes. If a replacement audio processor is needed, with film, D-Cinema and alternative content processing capability in a single box, but without the scale of investment needed to go full Q-Sys, it's certainly an option to consider.

Anyone considering the AP20 should keep a spare power supply on site, though - after about two years they are at very high risk of sudden failure.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 02-04-2019 04:03 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Only if you keep them on mains supply 24/7. I also heard ATI took care of it on more recent units.

- Carsten

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: