Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Christie CP2210 - Dolby DSS220

Author Topic: Christie CP2210 - Dolby DSS220
Hai Dinh
Film Handler

- posted 01-02-2018 02:24 AM      Profile for Hai Dinh   Email Hai Dinh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everyone,
I used 3 Chritie CP2210 with Dolby DSS220.
I've just had a problem with CAT 745 and a dealer in my country (Vietnam) quote me 1000 usd for it to be repaired.
He also recommend me that because after March 2018, Dolby will not support CAT 745 anymore so he suggest me change both DSS220 and CAT 745 - about 10 000 usd total.

However, as I know that my Dolby DSS220 still work in good condition. So can I change only CAT 745 by another which still be supported.

Or, in general do you have any suggestion for me in this case.

Many thanks for your hep,
Hai

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 01-02-2018 06:29 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd get the CAT745 fixed. It is not that problematic, as a rule. Dolby has not stated that they won't support it beyond June 30, 2018. Only that they will support it and the DSS line until AT LEAST June 30, 2018. And even for items that Dolby ceases support, there have been other means. I've had DSP100s repaired, for instance (not many because they too were reliable).

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 01-02-2018 09:26 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm confused. You write that your home country is Vietnam, yet your location in your user info is given as Leicester, UK.

I'm not going to give actual figures, per the convention on this board, but I've had cat745s that have lost their certificate fixed by Dolby here in the United States, for much, much less than $1,000. I don't know if Dolby will accept them directly from end users or if you'd have to go through a dealer, but there are plenty of Dolby dealers in the UK (Future Projections, Sound Associates, Bell Theatre Services, to name but three) you could ask for a quote from.

I can't see any reason why you couldn't ship your unit directly to Dolby in the US for reprogramming, if that works out to be a cost effective option: even after the cost of "no rush" shipping, you'd probably still be ahead on a quote of $1k. There would be some HMRC paperwork you'd need to do as part of the process, to ensure that you aren't charged import duty on the full value of the IMB when it's shipped back to you, though.

If you are in Vietnam I can't offer any advice, except again, that it might be worth exploring the possibility of shipping it directly to a Dolby facility overseas yourself. It may be that there is only one Dolby cinema products dealer there, who is charging that much either because they can, or because export and import formalities really hike the price.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 01-02-2018 12:53 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Leo - I only read 'repair', so, maybe there is more than just a reserialization?

- Carsten

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 01-04-2018 10:49 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Point taken: I had jumped to the conclusion that he had a dead battery and evaporated certificate on his hands, because that's the only thing I've ever experienced going wrong with a cat745 to the extent of disabling it totally. The other issue with them (which has been discussed extensively here in the past) is that their secure clocks tend to run very fast when they're powered down and maintained by the battery, but that won't prevent the IMB from working (unless combined with a KDM window problem).

But you're right: that doesn't necessarily mean that Hai's unit has the same fault.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: