Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » 3D effect gone/ model: dp2k - 12c

Author Topic: 3D effect gone/ model: dp2k - 12c
James Chan
Film Handler

- posted 12-29-2017 12:32 PM      Profile for James Chan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello,

i'm a very inexperienced cinema worker - i usually just click play and everything works fine. but for some times now the 3D effect is just gone. the image is blurry even with the glasses on.

at first changing channel between "3D scope" and "3D flat" worked fine ,the 3d effect eventualy came back, after changing few times. but that shit doenst work anymore

sometimes it works just fine witouth any issues (i nowadays leave the lamp on so that 3d isseu wont occur)

i called tech support a few times now and since the error isnt easy to reproduce they also dont know the problem here either.

sorry for my bad english. im not from the usa
if your need any further information - please write it down

James

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-29-2017 01:09 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You need to tell us what kind of projector and server you're using (brand, model number of each) and especially what kind of 3-D. (RealD, Dolby, MasterImage, etc.)

If you post up that information you might get some answers.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 12-29-2017 01:48 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you have 3D with a polarizer attachment (Real-D, MasterImage, some others) then either the projector is not supplying the right sync signal, the sync cable is loose or defective, or the adapter has failed.
Systems with active glasses have more failures possible - the glasses could be bad or whatever transmits the sync signal (usually an infrared emitter in the auditorium) could have failed.
Dolby 3D can lose sync for the filter wheel. Also the mechanism to insert it could fail - but then you would notice the image NOT getting super dim when it inserts.
More info would be good, projector and 3D system basically.

James Chan
Film Handler

- posted 12-29-2017 01:48 PM      Profile for James Chan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hey mmike!

thanks for the reply. ill try the best i can:

the server is from Dolby model dss200. the projector is from barco model dp2k-12c. it uses Dolby 3D

hope that helps. if you need further information you have to tell me how to get it or how to look it up

im a total noob that somehow manages a small cinema

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-29-2017 02:37 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The "image is blurry even with the glasses on" is a red flag. Is the 2D image sharp?

Is the 3D image really "blurry" (out of focus) or are you just seeing the two images on top of each other? (In other words -- the images are still sharp, just looks blurry cause you're looking at 2 slightly overlapped images)

On your Dolby 3D controller, are the lights green, or are they red or amber?

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 12-29-2017 02:38 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
James,

The information below presumes you have the authority to make changes. If you don't have the authority or experience, then please ask a qualified technician to investigate the problem.

Check your Barco firmware and make sure you are on the latest (2.5.57). There are have been updates to the Dolby 3D mechanism in the Barco projector.

Regardless, in Communicator (Barco's software that runs on their touchpanel or your computer), you should be able to monitor the 3D filter mechanism. It is under Configuration>3D>Integrated Filter Wheel.

There are status "LEDs" in that section that will let one see what the wheel is doing (is it inserted, spinning, synced...etc).

If, for some reason the mechanism had a problem it won't try to reinsert/spin so you may have to select a non-3D format and reinsert (note, you can from the Configuration>3D section select No3D and then reselect the 3D file for your Dolby 3D setting (which may or may NOT be "Dolby3D")

Note, since the 3D Integrated Filter Wheel is a Configuration screen (one can change the dark time, wheel sync...etc.) it is user-level protected (don't bother asking me for a password either). You don't need to select No3D and then reselect your 3D mode, however. Again, you can always select a 2D preset and then reselect the 3D one to also have the projector try the 3D wheel again.

I suspect that either the microswitches that monitor the wheel's position may be getting "noisy" or the software should be updated. It can also be UV damage to the mechanism. There is an update kit to help shield it.

Then again, you have a DP2K-12C so you top out at 2.2KW (and are probably at 2KW) so it shouldn't be too bad. I'm amazed you have enough light to begin with Dolby 3D is only about 8% efficient.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 12-30-2017 11:42 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If leaving the lamp on reduces the instances of 3-D not inserting and syncing properly, I'm inclined to suspect something mechanical, related to heat cycling. If the OP does not have any "under the hood" experience with Barcos, and if a software update doesn't make the problem go away, then, IMHO, he needs a service callout.

Mike Moreno
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-30-2017 02:16 PM      Profile for Mike Moreno   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Moreno   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi.
I had the same problem with Dolby 3D systems.
If you have warranty recomend call your tech support instalator and they have to replace it complete becase as far as i know there are no spare parts.
The problem is that the spinnig speed of the dolby system decreases.

Stephan Shelley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-30-2017 03:40 PM      Profile for Stephan Shelley   Email Stephan Shelley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Couple of things come to mind. One has already been mentioned with the wheel not inserting. I have had issues that Steve has already mentioned with the position micro switches going bad. Had a similar issue with the dowser on a NEC 2000c with micro switches as well. I have also heard of the insertion motor failing as well. The connectors on the wheel assembly board also deteriorate with age due to the UV exposure.

The other possible issue is addressed in an info T about the ribbon cable going to the spin motor going bad. It will cause a loss of sync. You should be able to tell which issue is happening insertion problem or spin motor sync issue by whether you get the drop in light level when the wheel inserts. Barco has a kit with an upgraded ribbon cable and a heat shield to add.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 12-31-2017 04:09 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What has been said with some extra hints
- leaving the lamp on is unlikely to prevent the issue and it's burning the lamp unnecessarily. It's likely a mechanical issue so leaving the wheel engaged will help, hence do not switch to 2D - for the time being of course!!
- the wheel is probably throwing errors when it fails to sync/ engage. Did your service engineer look into the logs?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: