Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » CP2000M won't boot

Author Topic: CP2000M won't boot
Derek Martin
Film Handler

- posted 12-26-2017 11:43 AM      Profile for Derek Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Derek Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our CP2000M won't boot after being powered off. Controller shows Christie logo, and green, yellow, and red lights are all on. Waiting on tech support to call, any suggestions in the meantime are welcome!

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 12-26-2017 06:29 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Quite probably the PCM module. Do you have an RS232 cable connected to it? If so, remove it and then power cycle.

Alexandre Pereira
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-26-2017 06:34 PM      Profile for Alexandre Pereira   Author's Homepage   Email Alexandre Pereira   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have the CP2000-SB and have had similar problems. The lesson I have learned is to NOT turn off the projector except when absolutely required. The projector stays on with the bulb off after hours at the Kingsway Theatre.

Things to try:
1. Switch all power off from the breaker. Wait a few minutes and then try to restart.
2. Check to see if the network connections are in place. Reconnecting the LAN cables can help.

If that does not work...

Reseat internal boards - not familiar with that process on the CP2000-M but someone here should know.

Steve Guttag

- posted 12-26-2017 08:13 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have one CP2000-SB in server. It is an absolute tank. The problems from it are VERY rare. Thus far, a bad LVPS that would drop out the card cage periodically. I believe it is powered down daily.

The bad PCM thing...I've had that happen too many times on the CP2000-M/ZX.

Alexandre Pereira
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-26-2017 08:48 PM      Profile for Alexandre Pereira   Author's Homepage   Email Alexandre Pereira   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The CP2000-SB is great - my biggest problem has been vibrations whacking the boards loose. The Kingsway Theatre is from 1939 and the slab is very thin in the booth. People walking up the stairs - sound from the surrounds - trucks passing by can cause the boards to come loose and this can create an issue. Specifically red/greenish vertical lines appear intermitten on the left and right approximately 1/4 from the edge of the screen.
Reseating the boards mitigates the issue. Or just whacking the top of the projector - not hard of course - light taps.
I have used compressed air to clean the connections - is contact cleaner advisable?...Any way to further secure the boards?

Matthew Heuer
Film Handler

- posted 12-26-2017 09:48 PM      Profile for Matthew Heuer   Email Matthew Heuer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I second Steve's thought that it is the PCM card. Indications include just as you described plus if you look at the card cage there will be no led activity lights for cpu or anything else on the PCM card. As far as I know there is no cure except PCM replacement. We have had a couple CP200ZXs that have had that happen. Going forward Christie has a log cleaner program that is supposed to prevent the board from "getting stuck" on boot if you run it before a full power off. Also (and this is just observational) I have never seen one stick if fully powered off from standby. I have only seen it happen if the projector looses power while fully on like a power failure and the UPS runs down before the projector is placed in standby, or someone trying to reboot the projector without putting the projector in standby first.

Derek Martin
Film Handler

- posted 12-27-2017 04:40 PM      Profile for Derek Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Derek Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for the help. Looks like we need a new pcm card as suggested.

Derek Martin
Film Handler

- posted 01-04-2018 07:17 AM      Profile for Derek Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Derek Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have replaced the PCM card and can login to the projector again, there was more though, now we are getting an error on the formatter board, so waiting on parts again.

Steve Guttag

- posted 01-04-2018 08:03 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would reapply the software (3.1) and TI 15.1

Note, If you didn't have a backup to reapply, you likely lost your channel configurations (the TI boards will still have your Screen files and MCGD but the channels will not be configured to call them).

Generally, whenever one changes something in a card cage (anybody's projector) it is advisable to re-run the software package to ensure everything is on the same revision.

Scott Christopher
Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2018 01:17 AM      Profile for Scott Christopher   Email Scott Christopher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know how different they are from the 2210's internally but we had a boot loop that turned out to be the 24v PSU mounted behind the rear panel.

FYI it's 24v 2A and exactly the same specs and pinout as a POS printer. I know this 'cause I repaired a faulty christie PSU and tested it on a ticket printer.

Derek Martin
Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2018 10:05 AM      Profile for Derek Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Derek Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the further suggestions! We have a new board on the way and I'm looking into getting the software done in the meantime - can it be done remotely? Also wondering if there is any potential harm in trying the projector reset or T1 reset options from the gui?

Also, there are 2 question marks after "DLP Version" on the projector Information screen in the gui, wondering if that's the formatting board? 14.02.50??

Steve Guttag

- posted 01-05-2018 01:15 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With Christie, you have update it to "know" about the TI version. There is a separate file for this. It will be in the TI package. Find the folder for PCM (if you had a CP2000S series you'd use the file in the TPC folder). Once you have finished whatever updating you are doing, use the appropriate file from the respective folder to update your system so it "knows" about the TI stuff too.

TI 14.0.48 was a good/pre-DCI version and if you get a TI board that can't hand CinelinkII it is the version you have to go back to in order to fix that problem before you jump back to something more modern. TI 15.1.52 is the final version of the TI software and is pretty stable (I haven't had any issues with it). 14.2.50 was the first of the DCI compliants but will have more trouble with captions than 15.1 will. 15.1 has those fixes in it.

As I said before, the first thing I would do after changing a module is re-run the software for that module to put it on the same version you were on. This is true for ALL projectors, regardless of brand or model.

And, as always, having a back up file of your settings can be key to getting everything to work right. You could have the PCM module calling for a non-existent Screen file and you'll get errors over that.

Derek Martin
Film Handler

- posted 01-09-2018 11:35 AM      Profile for Derek Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Derek Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks again for the input! Installing the new formatter board fixed the issue. Now we need to get macros from the dcp2000 working again, that should be much simpler and won't keep us off screen.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: