Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Fox Movie Ingest

Author Topic: Fox Movie Ingest
Millard Vowell
Film Handler

- posted 12-13-2017 07:20 PM      Profile for Millard Vowell   Email Millard Vowell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Recently ingested Fox movie Murder On The Orient Express. Ingested the 5.1 package and then the 7.1 partial package with the 7.1 key. Added the 7.1 to the SPL. During quality check descriptive audio was noted on our rear surround speakers. Had to turn these surround speakers off to eliminate the descriptive audio. Has anyone else encountered this problem? If so, how do I eliminate the movie descriptive audio without having to turn off my rear surround speakers?

|  IP: Logged

Harold Hallikainen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-13-2017 11:02 PM      Profile for Harold Hallikainen   Author's Homepage   Email Harold Hallikainen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do other 7.1 movies work properly? Is this a SMPTE package instead of interop? Have you run 7.1 SMPTE packages before? I think SMPTE packages are currently using configuration 4 ("wild track format") with the track order the same as it is for Interop. Ideally the server/IMB does 1:1 routing under these conditions. However, a lot of sound processors are only 8 channels, but Lrs and Rrs are on tracks 11 and 12. So, somewhere these have to be moved to AES/EBU channels 7 and 8 for these sound processors. If they are not moved there and, instead, tracks 7 and 8 are sent to that input of the sound processor (pair 4), you'll get HI on Lrs (from AES/EBU 7) and VI on Rrs (from AES/EBU 8).

So, the trick is figuring out where the routing is getting messed up. If the server was sending 11/12 to 7/8 for Interop but does not for SMPTE, that's probably the problem. You should be able to set appropriate routing in the server.

Good luck!

Harold

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 12-14-2017 12:50 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It has been my experience to avoid doing any audio routing in the server. They let you down too much. Doremi's feature "broke" when SMPTE titles came out. For 7.1 sites, we always hardware audio and let the server just route channel for channel. It is the only safe way.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 12-14-2017 05:30 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Millard - what type of server and sound processor do you use? There are many installations with this issue. Usually older installations, or the installer didn't set up the system/wiring/routing properly. Keep in mind, ADA regulations will be enforced shortly. If you can not correct the issue for yourself, I suggest you get a tech onsite that fixes it, as you can't avoid playing 7.1 + HI/VI in the future. More and more distributors put HI/VI tracks into their general 5.1 and 7.1 packages instead of supplying them as separate CPLs.

https://www.qsc.com/resource-files/whitepapers/q_wp_cin_accessibilityrequirement.pdf

- Carsten

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 12-14-2017 10:32 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've had this with Doremi servers where the rear surround channels were routed to 7/8 in the server's advanced audio settings. SMPTE packages apparently override this setting and you get HI/VI out of the rears.
The fix is to rewire the AES cable to swap channels and set the Doremi channel assignment map to "Disabled".
Odyssey has adapters that do this if you don't enjoy wiring DB25 connectors. If you use RJ45 AES cables I suggest you get the Odyssey card, you will need both cables connected (1-8 and 9-16).
I don't know if other servers have the channel swap feature or if it works with SMPTE DCPs...

And - this belongs in the digital forum.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 12-14-2017 12:04 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And (sigh) it should be renamed 'Disney Movie Ingest' ...

- Carsten

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: