Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Barco DP2K-P Yellow patch on screen..

Author Topic: Barco DP2K-P Yellow patch on screen..
Harcharan Singh
Film Handler

- posted 12-12-2017 06:37 AM      Profile for Harcharan Singh   Author's Homepage   Email Harcharan Singh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,
We have purchased an used BARCO 2K-P projector in very good conditon.
After installation there is a yellow patch coming on the top right of the screen.
The Projector has been cleaned and installed by Barco Engineers.
After checking they are of opinion that it is Light Engine problem which I think is not correct has I have personally checked the projector when we bought it.
So please help.

-

Harcharan

|  IP: Logged

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 12-12-2017 11:29 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We had the same problem on one of our 23B 4k projectors. The yellow covered about half going diagonally across the screen. After pulling and replacing the light engine the problem was gone. We could see what looked like a smudge of dust on the prism when looking through the opening. You can sort of see the prism reflecting on the mirror. Only thing we could determine from the outside looking in.

Harcharan Singh
Film Handler

- posted 12-12-2017 12:02 PM      Profile for Harcharan Singh   Author's Homepage   Email Harcharan Singh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi
Thanks for your reply.
The Barco Engineers who came did take out
the lighy assembly and reinstalled it but same result.
Any idea how it can be cleaned from inside if there
is any dust ?
Can this be due to bulb issue?

Alan Gouger
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-12-2017 12:16 PM      Profile for Alan Gouger   Author's Homepage   Email Alan Gouger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have your tech remove the light pipe and check the big optic entering the light processor. From the picture odds are it is shattered. If that is the case you would have to replace the light engine.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 12-12-2017 02:40 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In our case it was a light engine swap so I do not know what the final outcome to the problem was. We just sent the unit back to Barco. Not sure it would be something you could easily clean in the field. If it was, the Barco engineers would do it for you I would think. May be something that can only be done in a clean room environment. It sounds to me like the only way to fix it would be light engine replacement or see if it can be sent in to Barco and repaired and sent back. That would leave you down a screen if you are already operational.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 12-12-2017 04:13 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When you say "Barco engineers" you mean from Barco or authorised by Barco?

In any case, disable the SCC in the communicator, chances are you are seeing a bad correction file. Another possibility is the cold mirror misaligned - that wouldn't give you yellow but darker though. Removing and reinstalling the engine is not going to help [Smile]

Harcharan Singh
Film Handler

- posted 12-12-2017 09:47 PM      Profile for Harcharan Singh   Author's Homepage   Email Harcharan Singh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi
Checked SCC file. But came issue.
Disabled all luts in the projector but same results.
Harcharan

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 12-13-2017 06:18 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I suspect either dirt in the DMD area or in the optics feeding the DMDs. Try looking at the three primaries and look for the same area of the discoloration.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-13-2017 09:44 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's definitely a light engine issue. A bad integrator might cause it too. I had this happen on an NC-900 and it turned out to be some crud on one of the prism faces. I was able to slide lens cleaner paper through that area of the light engine and remove most of it so it's not noticeable on normal movies.

Mark

Harcharan Singh
Film Handler

- posted 03-05-2018 04:19 AM      Profile for Harcharan Singh   Author's Homepage   Email Harcharan Singh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,
Just wanted to let you know that I am bypassing Enigma Board through the latest firmware of Barco.
The Enigma Board battery has died down.
Do you think this patch can be due to bypassing of enigma board.
Internal white patches also show yellow patch.
Please let me know.
Thanks
Harcharan

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 03-05-2018 07:47 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No. All the Enigma board does is to decrypt the image data coming from a DCP server. It doesn't affect the color properties of the image at all.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 03-05-2018 04:23 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To me this looks like a misaligned or damaged prism. Besides this yellow patch, I also see a large reddish spot and I don't think it's something else reflecting on the screen.

Like Steve already mentioned, try looking at some clean primaries and if you see discoloration in all three of them, you at least know it is a common problem and not related to one of the DMDs.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 03-06-2018 06:03 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am confident this can still be fixed, however, you need to find a tech who is really knowledgeable about disassembling and cleaning the full lightpath.
Imagine you shell out the money for a new lightengine, and then find out the problem is still there, e.g. around the integrator rod.

- Carsten

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 03-06-2018 03:31 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Barco engines come with the integrator.
There is also a small chance that the cold mirror may be misaligned or damaged. Ok, should not be yellow but it could be tested before swapping the engine.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: