Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Current Best Satellite Receiver

Author Topic: Current Best Satellite Receiver
Paul Shuttleworth
Film Handler

- posted 12-06-2017 07:06 AM      Profile for Paul Shuttleworth   Email Paul Shuttleworth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi guys,

A technie for UK projectionists.

What Satellite receivers do you use for screening live broadcast and what is the best Make Model?

|  IP: Logged

Tony MacNeil
Film Handler

- posted 12-06-2017 08:47 AM      Profile for Tony MacNeil   Email Tony MacNeil   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I’ve got both a LANsat system as well as an Icecrypt unit that I use for satellite broadcasts, both of which are fantastic.

I’ve used various Icecrypt models and never had a problem with any of them. Very easy to use as well. Most of them have a recording function too if you plan on doing any encores, with the required permissions obviously.

The LANsat is a terrific piece of kit too, although may be prohibitively expensive. It also functions as a storage library for trailers, DCPs etc. With LANsat there’s the option for them to manage the broadcasts for you if you wish, although again it’s an incredibly simple system to use so isn’t really all that necessary. This also has a recording function for the very same reason as above.

Jonathan Emery
Film Handler

- posted 02-08-2018 04:43 AM      Profile for Jonathan Emery   Email Jonathan Emery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have the Icecrypt STC6000HDPVR but recently have been suffering from brief audio dropouts during live broadcasts. Speaking to the helpline during last night's ROH broadcast the agent said that the Icecrypt's are prone to this because of the poor Dolby decoder. There must have been changes to the way they broadcast in the last year as I have been using two of these since 2014 without the problem.

Are there any other receivers that can be recommended as Lansat would be difficult for us to implement due to the way we operate. All the models recommended by the distributors are old and difficult to get hold of. Also Icecrypt have ceased trading now due to the owner retiring and being unable to sell on the business so I understand.

Would appreciate any help. Thankfully we have not received any complaints to date about the audio from audience members, these dropouts can be between 3 and 6 per broadcast. Also happens on recordings which it never used to.

Jonathan.

Paul Willmott
Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2018 09:47 AM      Profile for Paul Willmott   Email Paul Willmott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We use a Lansat as well with a Humax and Icecrypt for backup. We used to suffer from occasional audio drop-outs and I always thought it was down to the cheap Chinese dolby decoder we used. This was confirmed when we upgraded our cinema processor to a Dolby CP750. This unit seems to handle the audio from any of the satellite receivers without any problems. I also think the Lansat has a better picture than our other receivers (but these are over 5 years old, so that's no surprise). I have brought my VU+ Solo2 in from home and connected that up and both video and audio are excellent. I'm not sure I would want to rely on as our main receiver though!
Paul

Jonathan Emery
Film Handler

- posted 02-14-2018 03:00 AM      Profile for Jonathan Emery   Email Jonathan Emery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Paul for your interesting information. I have just come across the new Lansat Live which may just be what we want. Worth a look anyway.

Peter Tootill
Film Handler

- posted 02-23-2018 03:46 AM      Profile for Peter Tootill   Email Peter Tootill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lansat is too expensive for us at the moment - we're a very small volunteer run multi-use set up in the UK.

We currently use an Icecrypt device (S6600) successfully but, now that they have ceased trading, is Humax the only viable alternative if/when the Icecrypt fails??

Steve Moore
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-23-2018 04:24 AM      Profile for Steve Moore   Email Steve Moore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We used to use both Humax Foxsat and the Icecrypt STC6000 for both seemed to work well. The foxsat suffered a lot with audio sync and generally needed the HDMI pulling out and plugging back in to re-sync. The Icecrypyt was much better with sync, but if there was a glitch in transmission the Ice seems to take longer to pick up picture again. Both suffered with dropping the digital audio link when coupled with a CP-750 via SPDIF, so I also fed analogue audio into the non sync to switch to, in the event that a show suffered with a lot of audio drop out.

Also worth noting that the Humax also suffered at numerous sites I know of, for a couple of different problems for a couple shows last year. One problem was that the picture juddered for the entire show everywhere that used it and there was another show where there was no audio, which was apparently due to some new codecs that were being used, according to the technical support lines.

Since we moved to LANsat across our sites, last year, the audio and video problems and glitches have stopped, and as someone above mentioned the picture quality is far better than the domestic/prosumer units.

Jonathan Emery
Film Handler

- posted 03-04-2018 01:43 PM      Profile for Jonathan Emery   Email Jonathan Emery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Peter Tootill, have you seen the new Lansat Live on the Lansat site which is not as deep as the original and can have films and trailers downloaded over the net. The basic 1tb model is £1,495.00 plus vat and delivery and you can install it yourself.

Max Hayman
Film Handler

- posted 03-13-2018 05:29 PM      Profile for Max Hayman   Email Max Hayman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We installed a LANsat at our venue last year however we have been waiting 9 months for our University to open the ports...

We have a Humax and spare box of a brand I've never heard of.

Also the fact we have to build a satellite tower from truss every live showing as we cannot install a permanent dish at the moment. All fun!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: