Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Disney's Coco Without Olaf's Frozen Adventure (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Disney's Coco Without Olaf's Frozen Adventure
Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 12-04-2017 06:20 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Starting Friday December 8 Disney is removing Olaf's Frozen Adventure from Coco. Deluxe will be sending out new Version File CPLs which will begin "Coco-noOlaf".

To the best of my knowledge this is going to require created new titles to be created on LMS systems in order to map the new CPL while still using the CPLs with Olaf.

It may also require new titles on POS systems to map to those new LMS titles. At least if you want to get everything done before Thursday night. Otherwise you would have to wait until after you're off screen Thursday night to un-map Coco-wOlaf.

I'm using the Hollywood Software (Cinedigm) TCC software. Perhaps other management software has easier methods for handling this.

|  IP: Logged

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 12-05-2017 12:23 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In Germany, Olaf and Coco are separate CPLs. Instead of removing Olaf, Disney now produced an extra title slide to be played before both to announce Olaf is a leading short, and that Coco follows.

- Carsten

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-05-2017 01:09 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wish they'd have done that here, it would have prevented a lot of confusion!

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 12-05-2017 01:51 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's the reasoning behind taking the short off of the movie after a certain date? Just to create a sense of urgency so people must see it before X if they don't want to miss that part?

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-05-2017 01:56 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our booker told me they are going to play the Olaf thing on the Disney Channel starting this Sunday.

Daniel Schulz
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-05-2017 04:08 PM      Profile for Daniel Schulz   Author's Homepage   Email Daniel Schulz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Frank Cox
What's the reasoning behind taking the short off of the movie after a certain date? Just to create a sense of urgency so people must see it before X if they don't want to miss that part?
Disney claims this was the plan all along, but I've heard anecdotally it's because so many cinemas have been complaining. The short runs 20 minutes, and so a lot of people expecting to see Coco are coming out of the auditorium to complain that the wrong movie is showing!

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 12-05-2017 04:17 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Daniel, I can confirm this was the plan all along. Before Coco even opened were were told the short would only play for the first 2 weeks or so.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 12-05-2017 05:15 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So has Disney issued a revised Credit Offset time sheet or is everyone just going to have to use math?

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 12-05-2017 05:24 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't received a new ingest letter, but the new credit offset is 1:36:57.

The new CPLs were delivered via download. When you get the email with the new keys their will be a download link for the Supplemental Package. Download this, unzip the folder to a USB and then ingest.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-05-2017 06:13 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Disney sent out a letter about it, encouraging cinemas to schedule an extra Coco show per day due to the new shorter run time. So I could see where the rumor would start that they were getting complaints about it.

But, I can also confirm that dropping Olaf was the plan all along...our booker told me about it the Monday before Coco opened.

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-06-2017 12:16 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
oh ugh was that Olaf short painful - I wanted to repeatedly bang my head on a wall after seeing that.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 12-09-2017 07:08 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pixar manages, for once, to release a movie that's on-par with what they did until about 2010 and then Disney screws up the release by replacing the legendary short with a blatant 20 minute commercial.

Disney really suffers from Frozen-overload, signs of mental permafrost are setting in. Disney, please: Let it go, LET IT GOOOO...

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-10-2017 12:56 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you saw the lines at the Frozen attraction and the "meet'n'greet" for Elsa and Anna at Disney World, you would understand why they keep hangin' on.

(The attraction IS pretty good, too.)

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 12-10-2017 03:53 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, yes, I've seen the revamped Maelstrom attraction in Epcot and the animatronics and the integration with the projections and screens are pretty awesome. Les awesome is the queue... Then again, it's still kind of newish and everything new at Disney seems to attract multi-hour queues.

And I'm pretty much aware about the endless queues for those meet and greets with Elsa (& Friends). Still, what a waste of your day at a Disney park. [Wink]

But then there also is...

Frozen Live at the Hyperion (DCA Anaheim)
Frozen Sing Along (DHS Orlando and DLP Paris)
Mickey and the Magician f.t. Frozen (WDS Paris)*
Illuminations f.t. Frozen (DLP Paris)
Frozen Holiday Wish Castle Lightning (MK Orlando)

Ah... and they're building a brand new Frozen land over in Tokyo.

So, the permafrost isn't just a local incident, it's global. I understand that Disney likes to exploit their multi-billion dollar franchises, but they seem to fall into common the trap of over-milking it, not just with Frozen.

I prefer Disney the OLD "Apple way"... Create desire for something, don't show the back of your tongue and when you deliver, deliver something nobody else does. Don't over-indulge people in it, or they're either getting spoiled or fed up with it.

* Probably the best LIVE version yet of Let it GOOOOOOOO....

Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-10-2017 12:43 PM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
If you saw the lines at the Frozen attraction and the "meet'n'greet" for Elsa and Anna at Disney World, you would understand why they keep hangin' on.
Part of the reason for the long lines at Frozenstrom (which is a pretty good attraction and an improvement on Maelstrom) is that the ride has incredibly low capacity. Maelstrom used to get 45 minute long lines and that was without an insanely popular IP attached to it.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: