Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » DCP Sound Trailers (JBL, Dolby etc.) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: DCP Sound Trailers (JBL, Dolby etc.)
Kieran Hall
Film Handler

- posted 12-01-2017 08:30 PM      Profile for Kieran Hall   Author's Homepage   Email Kieran Hall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since the 35mm days, we've always been big fans of showing sound trailers before our films (we still have a cupboard of DTS, Dolby and SDDS trailers that get pretty regular outings, though sadly they're getting pretty old and are starting to wear) as our setup is probably one of the best in the area, despite us being 'just' a student-run cinema going up against the multiplexes. We even had our Dolby Mancini trailer scanned a while back after the SR-D track failed on it after many, many showings (it's a bit of a favourite!).

We've carried this over to digital (though they're technically DLP or Christie DCinema trailers more often than not) and we're now looking for a bit of variety. I've seen JBL's tornado one on YouTube -- does anybody know if they issued DCPs of it? It could be quite fun before the right film, but JBL seem to know nothing about it.

Also, I've heard that Dolby made a DCP of Perspectives. If anybody still has this please could you very kindly send us a copy? Dolby says they're not distributing older trailers in the UK any more (I guess since they're pushing Atmos).

Thanks,
Kieran

|  IP: Logged

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 12-04-2017 08:42 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It appears that Dolby promotional material, including their snipe DCPs, is now handled through assetcenter.dolby.com. If you registered there, you might be able to download the DCP snipes you want, if they are available in DCP form.

That having been said, I filled out the online registration form in October (I needed copies of the 3-D "Please return your glasses" snipes to put on the server of a new installation), and never heard anything back from them. Must chase.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-04-2017 02:11 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I found a site called Demolandia that has a lot of the old Dolby trailers available for download. Here's a direct link to the Dolby materials, which you could download and make DCPs of. Unfortunately they don't have Perspective" though.

Demolandia site

There are a lot of other things on there too. A lot of home-video related junk. But you can get the beloved Dolby Train, which is very cool. Unfortunately not in the Scope format though.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 12-04-2017 03:15 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Dolby Return Glasses DCP is still available on the normal Dolby Deliverables on Demand (Dolby Customer).

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 12-05-2017 08:17 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting: it's back now. When I looked in October, all the test, promotional and snipe DCP entries that I could find on dolbycustomer.com had notes under each entry instructing you to register on assetcenter.dolby.com in order to download them. Given that I've been trying to do that for a month and a half now without any response to my registration request, I'm guessing that the launch of the asset center site must have been abandoned midway through the project, and this stuff is now going back onto dolbycustmer.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 12-05-2017 09:27 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The web site The Digital Theater has a lot of sound format trailers, even a couple in Atmos. The files are not DCP though. They're usually MKV or MP4. The ones with standard 5.1 or 7.1 audio often have both lossy and lossless audio formats.

The same site has a large collection of movie trailers with 5.1 or 7.1 audio.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-05-2017 01:55 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I went over to the Dolby site to see if there was anything new available there....turned out my password had expired, so I went through all the rigamarole to reset my password, and then was dumped at a screen saying my account had been suspended due to inactivity and I need to contact customer service to have it reinstated. And given that they never respond to inquiries there, that's probably a hopeless case.

So...screw it.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 12-06-2017 07:39 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wanted a Dolby snipe for a customer whose RAID had crapped out, and my portable drive with such stuff on it had also gone dead, so I lost what I had collected. Stupid not to have a backup, yes.
So I looked on the tech site, was informed that content had moved to the content site which needs a new authorization. I applied for access and got it about a month later. All I see there is Atmos, I will download a few but I don't know the names vs content. The customer wants the 7.1 "bouncing balls that whispers "all around you"", anyone know the Dolby name for that? I assume there is a 7.1/Atmos version available?

Steve Guttag

- posted 12-06-2017 07:46 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is called "Spheres" and it IS available on the normal Dolby Customer site if you have access. Use the same links as you would do download manuals of the various products but near the top of the list, you'll see the link to the DCP content.

Mike Renlund
Film Handler

- posted 12-06-2017 11:15 AM      Profile for Mike Renlund   Email Mike Renlund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everyone,

A couple of quick notes. I checked on Leo's issue signing up for the Dolby Asset Center. Think we found the problem and you should be getting some help there soon.

Dolby Asset Center is the site for getting all of the marketing style trailers. We removed those from the DolbyCustomer.com site, but kept the engineering/test clips. Log into the Dolby Asset Center and search for "sphere" or "trailer".

As for passwords to DolbyCustomer.com expiring. If you go two years without logging in, the system will expire your password. If you want back in, then we want you back in. Mike, send us an email at CinemaSupport@dolby.com saying that your login to www.DolbyCustomer.com has expired and we'll get you reactivated.

Hope this helps.

Steve Guttag

- posted 12-06-2017 11:48 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah ha. I see that the directory is still on Dolby Customer for the various trailers and you can open that directory but you cannot download anything. It would have been nice to have a link in there directing one to the new site.

Annli Com
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-07-2017 01:00 AM      Profile for Annli Com   Author's Homepage   Email Annli Com   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Try Any File From Dolby asset center after showing following error .

-

Kind Regards
Shibupaul

Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-11-2017 07:32 PM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Kieran Hall
(we still have a cupboard of DTS, Dolby and SDDS trailers that get pretty regular outings, though sadly they're getting pretty old and are starting to wear)
In my student cinema days we had analog dolby and showed some old dolby stereo snipe. That was a year in after we upgraded from mono. [Big Grin]

At my current place we just upgraded all screens to 7.1 (and one with Atmos) and play that "bouncing balls one" [Big Grin] for the 7.1 and Atmos Unfold in the atmos auditorium. The features that don't get a snipe are 5.1 only mixes.

Mike Renlund
Film Handler

- posted 12-12-2017 02:22 PM      Profile for Mike Renlund   Email Mike Renlund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Annli/Shibupaul,

I checked that file and could download it.

I talked to the team that runs the site and they say that there have been some issues when using a browser that are set for "do not track".

The Dolby Asset Center site gives out security tokens. These tokens are then read by the content storage server which is what provides you the file(s), but it looks like these tokens are being blocked. Changing the browser settings is the only thing we can think of to allow you to download the files.

Mike at Dolby

Steve Guttag

- posted 12-13-2017 06:13 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike, Noting that I applied for the Asset Center site and, like others, still no access (haven't processed it).

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: