Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Removing Stuck CRU Drive From DSS200?

Author Topic: Removing Stuck CRU Drive From DSS200?
Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-20-2017 09:25 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've got a hard drive stuck in the CRU bay of a DSS 200.
(Never had this happen before!)
When I push on the spring-loaded plastic thingy on the front of the
drive that usually flips out and and releases the drive, nothing happens.
There is still some "springiness' when I push it in, but it won't pop out
and release the drive.

Any Ideas?

|  IP: Logged

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 11-20-2017 09:35 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've had this happen once or twice and so far I've managed to get it out by pushing the plastic lever back really hard and pushing a small screwdriver down into the gap between the lever and the drive casing on the left side. By applying pressure on the screwdriver to move the lever to the right the lever will pop out again.

It's always quite terrifying when it happens, though -- I've never quite known what I would do if it didn't pop out that way.

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-20-2017 10:10 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Frank.
I was able to pop the lever open by prying firmly
with a plastic spudger and a wooden coffee stirrer.

It's definitely something wrong with the locking
mechanism on the drive. I'll put a note on it
when it I send it back to Deluxe/Technicolor.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 11-22-2017 02:55 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Case gets tweaked, too many labels, or one of the mounting screws is out just a bit to allow jam.

When I feel a CRU unit is sluggish going into the bay, I never close the lever.

I just make sure that the unit is seated in the bay making contact with the connection jack in the back of the bay .. you see the blue light on.

The pinch of the unit will hold it into place in the bay.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 11-22-2017 10:20 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The screws frequently work loose - both the two on the side that hold the top panel of the cartridge in place, and the four on the bottom that fasten the drive to the chassis. I've frequently received drives with loose and missing screws. Wouldn't surprise me if a loose one catches on the side of a bay and causes problems.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: