Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Subtitle position

Author Topic: Subtitle position
Sergey Morozov
Film Handler

- posted 11-11-2017 08:22 AM      Profile for Sergey Morozov   Email Sergey Morozov   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello!

Is there any way to move subtitle text little bit upper?
I use Barco series 2 projector and GDC SX3000 server. Any settings?

|  IP: Logged

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 11-11-2017 12:47 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am not familiar with the GDC but the answer is usually no. Subtitles are (should) placed within the 'safe area' of the image. If your subs are too low you are probably cropping the picture excessively. Select a test pattern on your Barco to confirm that theory.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 11-11-2017 01:26 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The other thing that can affect that is using the wrong PCF file. Scope must be played in the scope PCF, it will have "239" in the filename. The projector generates subtitles in the safe area for the format of the PCF file.
If the flat image is masked down vertically to fill an off-format screen you can lose the bottom of the subtitles. Either shift up and remask... probably cutting heads off.. or shrink the image and remask to fill top-bottom with the full 1080 pixel height - and have a pillarboxed image if you don't have movable masking or can't readjust it. I don't know if there's an official safe image height where heads shouldn't be cut off if masked outside that limit.

Gunnar Asgeirsson
Film Handler

- posted 11-12-2017 11:32 AM      Profile for Gunnar Asgeirsson   Author's Homepage   Email Gunnar Asgeirsson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it in to low position in every film?
It can happens that the DCP it self (or the Subtitle VF) are made that way that it is displayed to high or low.
Because the DCP or the subtitle VF can contain wrong info about where to place them.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 11-13-2017 02:43 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
indeed it could depend on the DCP. Subtitles are referenced on the bottom of the frame. You should never place the subs too low, that's why you should keep them in the safe area. That's why I suggested playing a test DCP to check where you are in terms of picture positioning. Once you are happy that your projector is properly installed, then you can report the issue back to the mastering facility so the position can be amended.

Sergey Morozov
Film Handler

- posted 11-13-2017 03:00 PM      Profile for Sergey Morozov   Email Sergey Morozov   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Big thanks for you replies!

Actually, it's about curved screen. If we move the picture up, then the projection does not cover left&right bottom corners. If we make covering corners, then bottom line of subtitles is cutted about half on centre point.

We have to play with test a little bit and find optimal desision for it anyway.

BR,
Sergey

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 11-13-2017 03:18 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always found it inacceptable that subtitle height is not adjustable by the installer.

The only system that allows this ( even on a per-feature setting) are the Doremi servers when their server-side subtitle renderer is configured instead of the projector side default. This engine also offers other interesting options.

- Carsten

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: