Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Adding HDMI Input to my QSC DCP300 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Adding HDMI Input to my QSC DCP300
Gary DiVito
Film Handler

- posted 11-02-2017 05:30 PM      Profile for Gary DiVito   Email Gary DiVito   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anybody done this . I have looked but can't find where this has been done.QSC has announced the DCI10H SEE LINK

Could I connect the DCI To my DCP 300 with this? The DCP has Cobranet and Lan connectivity.

https://www.qsc.com/cinema/products/processing/qsc-processors/q-sys/network-io-peripherals/dciodcio-h/

|  IP: Logged

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 11-04-2017 04:27 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the DCIO-H is for QSYS systems, not for Cobranet unfortunately.

Gary DiVito
Film Handler

- posted 11-04-2017 04:09 PM      Profile for Gary DiVito   Email Gary DiVito   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Marco,
I didn't think inputing the HDMI audio only out of my Oppo UHD205 into my DCP300 would be a challenge. Has anybody done this? Via cobranet I can input 16 channels of digital or via the AES3 digital input. It seems though finding a HDMI multi channel interface is a problem. Any ideas? Thanks

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 11-04-2017 04:33 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's the ARVUS HDMI->AES/EBU converter. But, honestly, I would use the 7.1 analog out of the Oppo to enter the DCP 300.
Are you sure the Cobranet can be used at all to feed multichannel audio into the main processing chain on the DCP 300?

- Carsten

Gary DiVito
Film Handler

- posted 11-04-2017 05:49 PM      Profile for Gary DiVito   Email Gary DiVito   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Carsten,
Yes , the 300 has a primary and secondary cobranet connection on the back next to the USB ports.
The Arvus H2 UDMA would work, but they ask a high price. Though I would like to have a digital signal.
Just trying to see what options if any are out there.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 11-04-2017 06:31 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If your Oppo has 7.1 analogue output, then go for it and don't look back!

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-04-2017 10:19 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you have your analog inputs available on the DCP300, then use them with the Oppo outputs. If you need them for something else, the cheaper way to use Cobranet in would be to use a Whirlwind analog to Cobranet adapter. Just so you know, Cobranet is a networked audio system such that you can have nearly an unlimited amount of sources. One choses the input using the source's ID(s). You choose the ID in the audio configuration. If you have DCP200/300s in your complex, they can all send/receive audio to each other too...if you create a Cobranet network. It is possible to have it run on the normal LAN but not advisable. The primary secondary jacks are just that. The secondary is there for redundancy.

I suppose the ARVUS box can be used if you don't use more than 8-channels of DCInema audio. We normally do with the ADA stuff plus 7.1. I would tend to reservee 16-channels for DCP so you are covered for any PCM format that comes out too.

Gary DiVito
Film Handler

- posted 11-26-2017 09:02 PM      Profile for Gary DiVito   Email Gary DiVito   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I will be using the USL HSW602 switchbox from my OPPO 205 to the DCP300 Digial input. I have purchased an Odessy RJ adaptor Board which will allow me to use the RJ45 out on the 602 to the RJ45 in on the 300. Although the cable will be 100 ohm vs 110 ohm I don’t think it will be a problem.
I will stil have the use of the OPPO’s analog 8 outputs if I want. The other questions I have will the DCP300 downsamle the signal from the OPPO 192khz.The 602 is a pass through according to its manual.

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 11-26-2017 10:14 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Gary DiVito
I will be using the USL HSW602 switchbox
FYI, this product has been discontinued. It proved too quirky for prime time.

Gary DiVito
Film Handler

- posted 11-26-2017 10:28 PM      Profile for Gary DiVito   Email Gary DiVito   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sam
I talked to the engineer at QSC that developed the unit he said it would work in my application. Did you own one? Anyone out there who can Back this statement up.

Thanks

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 11-26-2017 10:36 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was developed by USL and was withdrawn from the market. I sold perhaps 6 and all were returned for credit. A rare miss for USL. QSC of course bought USL.

Gary DiVito
Film Handler

- posted 11-26-2017 11:15 PM      Profile for Gary DiVito   Email Gary DiVito   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sam was the problem with the audio? or Video ? I am using it to convert HDMI to AES output.

Thanks

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 11-26-2017 11:47 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was balky. It would not switch at the same speed reliably and hang up and sit there. Not ideal when one is trying to run a multi source show. It was a nice idea.

If you already have one give it a try. If you don't, walk away is my advice.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-27-2017 07:28 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It also couldn't simultaneously output to both outputs from the same source. That is, you couldn't have "preview" and "program" output the same thing.

As Sam noted, not everything from everyone is a home-run.

So, is your goal to use Digital 1 for DCPs and Digital 2 for Blu-ray (HDMI) sources? It sort of limits you to 5.1 +ADA for DCPs unless you use an external D/A converter for the ADA stuff, in which you are covered on 7.1 DCP.

Unfortunately, Cobranet has fallen out of favor in the A/V world, which drives such technologies (cinema is too small). So, what you are trying to do just isn't done. Sure, for some serious $$$ you can convert the audio a couple of times. Say HDMI to AES and then from AES to Dante and from Dante to Cobranet but to what end? For a limited time, you could even use a QSYS core as an AES to Cobranet Bridge and if you wait until February, you can use the QSYS core with a DCIO to get the HDMI, then an I/O frame with a Cobranet module to make a bridge...but there is the cost factor and the absurdity of using QSYS to keep a DCP viable rather than just jumping feet first into QSYS.

What are you using the analog inputs for? If nothing, then hook the Oppo straight up there and be done with it. That Oppo has some of the best D/A converters on the market so the analog will be great.

If you need more analog inputs THEN CobraNet can be used via the Whirlwind analog to Cobranet adapters.

http://whirlwindusa.com/catalog/digital-audio-networking/io-modules/ci8m

It isn't cheap but with that sort of device, you have essentially unlimited inputs by merely making each device a unique ID (in reality you'll run out of presets on the DCP300).

The problem with CobraNet is that while it was once king and it is rock solid, its heyday was just prior to HDMI becoming pervasive. Dante has essentially replaced it in the A/V world any everyone builds to that platform, not Cobranet.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 11-27-2017 07:40 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gary - what DCI server and projector do you use?

- Carsten

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: