Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Barco Light Engine Boards

Author Topic: Barco Light Engine Boards
Marcial Feliciano Ramos
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-25-2017 03:58 PM      Profile for Marcial Feliciano Ramos   Email Marcial Feliciano Ramos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all,

Does Barco sells the boards of their light engines? (Red or Green Blue boards)

Thanks

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 10-26-2017 06:42 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
NO!

Barco is notorious for not parting out their equipment. They like to sell modules, not parts. Even parts where you can get their part number (e.g. the formatter board cables, where the "Z" part number is on them) are not available.

Over time, I've seen some bits and pieces of the "light engine" have discrete components available. At point, the light pipe was only part of the light engine but it as well as the lenses around it have become available as parts.

But the DMDs or the formatter boards, not a chance. If they were, I'd think there would be a couple places in the USA that would take on repairing them for things like stuck pixels or the odd formatter that winks out. As it is, the ONLY Barco repair facility is in Belgium.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-26-2017 10:50 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
NEC on the other hand does supply their formatter boards seperately. Perhaps in the future consider theirs if you replace your Bar-ko.

Mark

Steve Guttag

- posted 10-26-2017 11:24 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Shilling Mark?

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 10-26-2017 12:39 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Those boards are indeed not available directly from Barco. So, unfortunately, you'll need to buy an entire new light engine if one of them fails.

There are some shops that occasionally sell salvaged boards, I've also seen them hit Ebay on occasion. Obviously, those boards come without any warranty from Barco.

Steve Guttag

- posted 10-26-2017 01:48 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Remember too, the Barco warranty for PARTS is just 90-days anyway.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-26-2017 03:53 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Guttag
Shilling Mark?
Merely pointing out there are indeed better companies to deal with.

quote: Steve Guttag
Remember too, the Barco warranty for PARTS is just 90-days anyway.
With NEC it depends on where the parts from and if refurbished or new. Typically 1 year on replacement parts.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 10-26-2017 06:54 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
you don't need to buy a new engine. Barco will likely do a repair/exchange to your engine. You get a new/refurbished one and you return the faulty one for a 'small' price. The replacement engine comes with a warranty.

Steve Guttag

- posted 10-27-2017 07:28 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
Merely pointing out there are indeed better companies to deal with.
No Mark, that is shilling. He didn't ask about NEC (or any other brand). NEC isn't perfect either. They ALL have their high and low points. Barco definitely is weak on the granularity of their parts.

In the US, Barco has no RX program (I wish they did!!!!). You buy a new/refurbished light engine. You can then send yours back and for a (really) small fee they will evaluate it and tell you what it will cost to fix, repair it and send it back for you to then have a spare). That repair is only a 90-day warranty though. Barco is all about the extended warranty plan. Which works for singles/twins but gets progressively more prohibitive in the larger plexes.

Since Mark brought it up. NEC is similar on their prism repairs. You start by paying FULL PRICE for a new one and then some months later, when they fix yours, they deduct the difference between new and what your repair was so in the end you just pay for the repair but in the meantime you are out full price for months.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 10-27-2017 01:00 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Marco Giustini
you don't need to buy a new engine. Barco will likely do a repair/exchange to your engine. You get a new/refurbished one and you return the faulty one for a 'small' price. The replacement engine comes with a warranty.
They will, as long as they don't consider the machine EOL.

I'm not sure what the warranty on their repairs is in Europe, I think for spare parts it's one year.

Steve Guttag

- posted 10-27-2017 02:57 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Go to mybarco and check under support>warranty. You can download the pdf file. It is in the "What is Covered/How Long" section. Spare parts, repairs are lumped in with Software.

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 09-02-2019 10:57 AM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 674 days since the last post.

Parke Lie
Film Handler

- posted 09-02-2019 10:57 AM      Profile for Parke Lie   Email Parke Lie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi...Not noticable in the bright room with the F90 that was only showing bright colored car advertising slides. I was told earlier that day that the F90 would do full Rec. 709 at the full 13K lumens, but then Residential told me that Rec. 709 was only possible with between 8000 and 9000 lumens max. Even the Standard F-90 does very nice REDS, so I didn't questin Barco's Rec. 709 claim.
When pixelpeeping at the F-90 there was the fine flickering line ínterference'pattern I also saw at the TI prototype and the Optoma HLD 4K prototype.
The non pixel shifting version (WQXGA 2560x1600) will be available first, that is the F-90 version. But Tim Sinnaeve Barco Residential's MD told me he is considering a swap programme setting people up with the WQXA version (with Mediaroom/HT modifications) replacing these with the 4K version when available. Hmm, 4K was what September and WXQXGA without shifting would be what June, from memory.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 09-02-2019 12:39 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The F90 isn't a DCI projector, so I think this somehow hit both the wrong topic and the wrong sub-forum.

Allen Arin
Film Handler

- posted 09-05-2019 06:55 AM      Profile for Allen Arin   Email Allen Arin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A Simple NO !

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: