Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » GDC SX-3000 “host & SM do not match” (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: GDC SX-3000 “host & SM do not match”
Taylor Goins
Film Handler

- posted 09-29-2017 02:01 AM      Profile for Taylor Goins   Email Taylor Goins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any ideas on what this means? Won’t let me do anything else besides “shut down” or “update to fix.” Also says to contact GDC.

I contacted GDC... hopefully they get back to me quickly.

|  IP: Logged

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 09-29-2017 02:38 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like a certificate issue.

If your machine is still reachable over the network, usually GDC can fix those errors remotely.

Matt Fields
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-29-2017 07:11 AM      Profile for Matt Fields   Email Matt Fields   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Had the machine been powered off for a long period of time or several years old? If the battery on the IMB died you may have lost the certificate and then the IMB will need to be replaced.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 09-29-2017 07:53 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Like the others said, battery dead and certificate gone. We get 2-3 calls a month reporting this error message, and that's always the cause of it.

Contact the vendor who sold you the SX-3000, who will arrange for its return to GDC and its replacement. If it's still within warranty, there won't be any charge (apart from shipping). If it isn't, you'll need to extend the warranty, and I'm afraid that you'll need to be prepared to write an unpleasant check.

Once you have the replacement, you may need the media block's public key certificate in order to have KDMs issued for it. Deluxe Technicolor should only need the serial number, but if you play encrypted DCPs from any of the smaller distributors, they will likely need the actual cert (.pem file) from you. To get it, write to cert[at]gdc-tech.com with the serial number of the new IMB, and their typical turnaround time is 12-24 hours.

Once you have the new IMB, I would strongly suggest that you include battery replacement as part of your planned maintenance routine. If your theater has a multiplex usage pattern (IMB powered up 10-12 hours a day, seven days a week), I'd suggest every two years, but if the IMB is powered up for significantly fewer hours than that a week, I'd suggest annually. GDC sells a battery replacement kit, available through your vendor.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 09-29-2017 03:14 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In one of those weird coincidences, I was asked to install a used SX-3000 into an NC900-A this morning, and check and verify proper working order of the projector and IMB in preparation for shipping it to a rental customer. The IMB had been on the shelf for about a month, I was told, and before then it was in regular use (though we don't know for how many hours a week).

Anyway, that one was toast, too, for the same reason. No SM light on the front panel, error connecting to Security Manager, wouldn't marry to the projector, goodbye and goodnight. That one will have to go back to GDC for a new battery and certificate, too.

The moral of the story is, I guess, that IMB certificate battery swapouts need to be included in every theater's planned maintenance routine.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 09-29-2017 04:46 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What an annoying PITA. Every 5-7 years wouldn't be so bad but every 2-3 years is excessive.

Harold Hallikainen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-29-2017 06:00 PM      Profile for Harold Hallikainen   Author's Homepage   Email Harold Hallikainen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another pain is that battery holders are not reliable with the extremely low currents running through them. It is often necessary to solder the battery in, ideally using a battery that has enough capacity to keep the system running for 10 years. Nonvolatile memory that would not require a battery is readily available, But DCI and FIPS require the private key to be erased on a tamper. That requires the battery.

Harold

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 09-29-2017 06:52 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wouldn't it be more service-friendly to install a battery that needs to be soldered in like that on a short set of leads back to the circuit board? Then when the battery needs changing you could just solder a bit of wire onto the new batteries, snip snip and splice the new battery onto the old wires. No worries about overheating a trace when trying to de-solder the old one that way. All it requires is two pieces of wire and a zip tie to keep the battery from rattling around.

Taylor Goins
Film Handler

- posted 09-29-2017 11:52 PM      Profile for Taylor Goins   Email Taylor Goins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, it was the battery. The new server will be here tomorrow. Thankfully it was under warranty. Don’t want to know how much a new one would cost outside warranty.

Am I able to replace the server or battery myself? Or best to have my tech do it? It’s a 4 hour trip for them, so the labor a travel is god awful.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 09-30-2017 05:07 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I put a sticker with the projected battery change date and cell types on every projector I deal with. Sounds ridicoulous with a 5 year estimate, but those 5 years are gone quickly. That said, the Sonys actually measure the cell voltage of the batteries and give a warning on the main GUI when they actually need to be swapped.
The time window to swap the batteries in most systems is pretty short, however, it may be a good idea to give the cell holder contacts a bit of rubbing/cleaning as well, as time permits.

Taylor - I think Mark Gulbrandsen left a couple of photos about the GDC battery change in the forum some threads down.

http://www.film-tech.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=16;t=003029#000005

You can also do a forum search for 'GDC battery'.

- Carsten

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 09-30-2017 07:46 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wasn't GDC able to put a new private key into your IMB, once the battery issue got sorted out remotely? Or did they stop doing that?

It's really great how we rely on such a volatile piece of technology, that needs to be constantly powered, like a miniature nuclear reactor, in order not to blow up on itself. All for the sake of "security".

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 09-30-2017 08:17 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why don't they put an energy harvesting module on that device?

It's a small chip, about the size of a dime that has an RF-to DC converter and some regulation/support circuitry. It converts the RF energy in our environment into useable electricity which can be used to run low-power circuits or trickle charge small batteries or super capacitors.

With all the stray RF that's floating around your average projection room, an energy harvester could keep a memory battery running almost indefinitely.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 09-30-2017 08:47 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
These devices should DEFINITELY have a battery changing battery holder too. That is, put in a good battery BEFORE you change the old one out.

I've seen variations on this idea too. USL on their CAT745 had such a battery slot. Barco has one alternate battery holders.

The problem with solder-in batteries is that okay...10-years later, who pays for the dead board? In our industry, 10-years is nothing. Even in DCinema, exhibitors are going to want much more than that out of this expensive stuff. Film projectors ran for decades. The other problem with a 7-10 year battery life is that the board that needs to be repaired may no longer be "serviceable" which effectively kills the projector/server. Heck, Barco won't even consider servicing a board out of warranty!

Harold Hallikainen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-30-2017 09:00 AM      Profile for Harold Hallikainen   Author's Homepage   Email Harold Hallikainen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have seen too many lost keys due to battery holders. The extremely low current, less than 10 uA, requires gold on gold contacts, but batteries and holders are nickle.

Harold

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 09-30-2017 10:33 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oxidation indeed becomes problematic with low-quality contacts, especially after 5 or even 10 years.

The question is if it's really impossible to build a secure design using NVRAM instead of DRAM or SRAM based designs? If Apple can put something in their phones that's stronger than the best tools NSA has at their disposal, it should be doable in a cinema server costing more than 10 times as much.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: