Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » BARCO LINK DECRYPTOR MODULE (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: BARCO LINK DECRYPTOR MODULE
Fred Schoenfeld
Film Handler

- posted 09-19-2017 10:00 AM      Profile for Fred Schoenfeld   Author's Homepage   Email Fred Schoenfeld   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone have a 'fix' for a link decryptor module that has full logs and/or a dead internal battery, other than the trash can? Our dealer has quoted me a price of almost $2,000 for a replacement! Why didn't Barco mount the battery on the mother board instead of inside a sealed module? Up until this point, I rated the Barco as the best digital projector on the market, however they have fallen off the list for such a poor design of a product has a short useful life, costs so much to replace AND is not repairable even at the factory!!

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 09-19-2017 10:08 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All Enigma boards have the battery sealed in them and are non replaceable (Barco Christie and NEC).
As long as the machine is powered every couple of months for a day there is no issue with them

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 09-19-2017 10:42 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Enigma board is not made by Barco, but by TI. Logs filling up and/or the battery dying is not a Barco-specific problem: we sell replacements for the other projector makes, too. I'm afraid that both of these faults are a bit like contracting rabies: once you start to experience symptoms, you're dead. You need to catch it before then. The battery is non replaceable (I could be wrong, but I think it's a supercap rather than a conventional battery), but, as Mark says, powering the board up frequently enough to prevent it from discharging totally is the solution.

This is a DCI-mandated security thing: I'm sure that neither Barco, Christie, nor NEC would have designed it this way if they'd had the choice; not least because the reaction of end users such as yourself is to blame the projector manufacturer when the certificate is lost and you're looking at a $2k bill to replace the board.

As for the logs, update to software version 1.8 before they fill up. There is a script that you can run from Dolby DSS servers that will download and clear out the logs under 1.6 or 1.7 (and possibly on other servers as well, but I don't know of any that have this feature), but once you've updated to 1.8, you don't need to worry about that problem again. So unless there's a known bad interaction between 1.8 and other components in your projector, I can't see why you would not want to do that.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 09-19-2017 06:29 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Note, you can update to Enigma 1.8 even after you get the logs-full issue and that can free up the Enigma to gets its logs downloaded.

I don't know of any server manufacturer that has a script like Dolby's that will just go out and say, "give me 8192 logs (all of them) in order to flush the thing. The script works on ALL version of Enigma modules BUT the suddenly full Enigma is an internal Enigma issue with how it was constructed (16 banks of 512 logs) and how the earlier versions of the software handled them (would corrupt an entire bank if there was a single corruption in the bank). Enigma 1.8 put an end to that by allowing just the corrupted entry to be jumped over.

Where you can fault Barco is that they REFUSE to service a "bricked" Enigma rather than fixing/reloading the certificate. NEC, has always told me that they will indeed service an Enigma that bricks (repair exchange, you don't necessarily get yours back, you pay the price of a new one and then they credit back the difference once they determine what it cost to fix your old one.

I fault TI on this and the ICP that since they are the same identical parts in all three projector bands that one could not have a facility that could repair any/all of them rather than forcing the end user to succumb to the whims of any projector company. I think refusing to repair such expensive modules when often the problem is software related (ICP too...anyone not have one crash on a mere software update?).

Fred Schoenfeld
Film Handler

- posted 10-18-2017 05:46 PM      Profile for Fred Schoenfeld   Author's Homepage   Email Fred Schoenfeld   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
from Steve:
quote: Steve Guttag
'Note, you can update to Enigma 1.8 even after you get the logs-full issue and that can free up the Enigma to gets its logs downloaded."
Thanks for that! Please point me to the correct site for the 1.8 update. Also, I would be willing to pay someone who has the knowledge and time to 'reset' my two modules that are non-operative at this time. Thanks to all fellow techs!

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 10-18-2017 07:47 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry to put a dampener on things, but Steve did write that updating the software on a full Enigma can unlock it, not will. I've tried it on an Enigma in an NEC, with no luck.

To obtain the update, go to barco.com, then click on "MyBarco login" towards the top right of the window, and then "register here." Once you're registered, you can download all the updates, patches and manuals for your model of projector. If you register your model of projector in your dashboard on the site, you can configure it to email you automatically whenever updates or Info-Ts (service bulletins) are published.

Unlike NEC, I believe that Barco will let you register on their support site as an end user, and don't necessarily require you to have done a tech's training course first. No guarantees, though. If your projector is under warranty, it could be that attempting the Enigma update yourself may invalidate it - if that's the case, I'd strongly suggest that you check with Barco first (or the vendor who sold you the projector, if that was an official Barco dealer).

The Enigma updating process is pretty simple (though you'll need to download and install Barco Communicator first), but I'd strongly suggest that you ensure that the projector's card cage is powered through a UPS before trying it. The potential exists to FUBAR (at least, BAR without returning them to Barco) your ICP and CCB if the power goes out during an update process, essentially bricking your projector until it receives attention from a service tech.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 10-18-2017 08:13 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The enigma update process through DC Update Companion in Barco Communicator is specific to that board. A power failure during updating may (will?) ruin your enigma but will not affect the ICP or other components. The end result is the same - no shows - but the damage not so dire.

After updating one that's showing "logs full" to v1.8.24, if that revives it and it works afterward, you should do whatever is required in your server to empty the logs. I don't think the update empties it. With a Dolby DSS you can either wait for it to download 500+ after every show (this can delay tight scheduling) or run the script overnight.

However - a dead battery means lost decryption keys and you're buying a new one (or closing). I'm pretty sure Barco does not offer any revival service for discharged Enigma LD modules, although this must be possible.

The day you receive a new one, install it and test it. They must be charged periodically while on the shelf and we've had some arrive already dead. You should then leave the projector on for 48 hours to ensure the "new" one is fully charged up.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 10-18-2017 08:22 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fred - are you sure these two enigmas have been sitting in a projector during the last years and have been powered regularly? Then chances are high you can recover them with enigma firmware 1.8. As a matter of fact, enigma 1.8 came out three years ago to fix that dreadful log memory corruption issue for all projector manufacturers. Normally, it should be part of Barcos regular software updates, I'm wondering what your service company has been doing for you during the last 3 years...

- Carsten

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 10-18-2017 09:40 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Carsten Kurz
Normally, it should be part of Barcos regular software updates...
Enigma updates are not included in the main projector software/firmware update packages: you have to download and install them as a separate procedure. In the update wizard launched from Communicator, there is a pulldown menu to select projector or touch panel package, ICP, Enigma or ICMP (and possibly one or two other things that I can't remember), before you select the file.

Under "Maintenance Type C" (annual) for Series 2 Barcos, the service manual (for example, Barco part #R5905011, page 26) states "Check for the latest version of Barco and TI software" and "Upgrade the projector software with the latest version." OK, the Enigma card is made by TI, so theoretically this is flagging up that this should be checked and updated annually, but it isn't stated explicitly. So a service tech who prints out that list and then works through the items at an annual service visit might well check for an update for the main projector package, and just install that. In the last few months I've serviced Barcos in which I've found the main software to be a much more recent version than that of the ICP and (in the case of projectors that have them) Enigma card. I've also serviced Series 1 Barcos on which I've found the final version of the main package, but the TI board is still on 11.something.

quote: Dave Macaulay
A power failure during updating may (will?) ruin your enigma but will not affect the ICP or other components. The end result is the same - no shows - but the damage not so dire.
In theory, but I'd be worried that there is some sort of registry or other thing on the ICP and/or CCB that needs to be told that something else in the projector has had new software, or else wackiness will ensue. I really don't like doing any software or firmware flash updates on a machine that doesn't have a uninterruptible and surge protected power supply. Admittedly, your odds of getting unlucky are very long, but still.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 10-20-2017 10:49 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A Barco doesn't know what Enigma version is running until you power it up and the main software asks everything what it is. You can swap Enigma boards (regardless of installed version) freely with no issues except having to do the Dallas key dance.
We don't have many Barcos on a UPS, clients don't like paying the 208V or 240V UPS prices although we encourage it for B and C projectors. Input/Enigma cards are a rarity on the smaller (S&E) models (no provision for a UPS for electronics) as that leaves you with only SDI input.

Fred Schoenfeld
Film Handler

- posted 10-25-2017 08:06 PM      Profile for Fred Schoenfeld   Author's Homepage   Email Fred Schoenfeld   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks to all for the valuable information. Another question regarding these boards: Does anyone have the pin-outs on either the mother board (Barco) or the link decryptor module to supply power to keep the internal battery alive? I do not want to take my working projector out of service just to charge (and possibly recover) my 2 old modules! Any help will be appreciated! Barco sells an external charger for about $500, which is crazy!!

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-25-2017 08:17 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Usually it's the Dallas Clock on these boards that eventually has it's internal battery die. They contain the battery, a clock and memory to store the certificate. Christie and I presume NEC also used them on all the series 1 board. They are standard keepers in all the electronics industry. I have GPS clocks with them and some other digital scopes. But in those cases they are field replaceable and generally only contain the memory for the customer settings. In this picture of this TI Processor board from a Christie, you can see the Dallas Clock top center. Even this is probably an off the shelf part, but whats saved in it may be proprietary.

-

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 10-26-2017 06:44 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fred - if your Enigmas had their battery depleted, you can not revive them by charging. The only way to know if they still work is by installing them into a projector. If you don't want to do this now, it may be a good idea to apply charging power to them until you find the time. The USL charger has a better price than the Barco. When talking about pricing, keep in mind these chargers are not targeted towards the individual cinema operator, but towards integrators and service techs. Not many cinemas store unused enigmas.

http://ftp.usl-inc.com/ftp/Products/EP-100/Documents/Manual/EP-100_manual_140206.pdf

- Carsten

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 10-26-2017 06:50 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fred,

The USL (QSC) EP-100 is no more, unfortunately. You needed HDSDI board as well. The EP100 would power the HDSDI board and by extension, power the Enigma. I liked it because you also got the Enigma status LEDs so you KNEW that the Enigma was not showing a failure/loss of certificate/tamper...etc.

If all you want to do is keep it charged, you can do so with the itty bitty two conductor connector in the corner of the board. A 5-volt regulated supply to that connector should keep the board charged. That connector does NOT light up the LEDs so you have no idea if you are charging a dead board or not. Charging via that connector takes 48-72 hours to complete for a 6 month storage. What some people do is let them charge perpetually until needed. This is particularly true if you have several on a charging rack (the current draw is so low that one wall-wart type power cube can typically handle 5 or so boards (I have not measured the draw but that is how Barco does it with their absurdly priced "kit."

Fred Schoenfeld
Film Handler

- posted 10-31-2017 09:49 PM      Profile for Fred Schoenfeld   Author's Homepage   Email Fred Schoenfeld   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve,
Thanks for that great information! I do have a spare HDSDI board with the Decryptor board installed. I was able to apply 12 VDC to the two corner pins on this board which powered up the LEDs (on the HDSDI board) as well as the LEDs on the decryptor board.
Question now is: there are 4 LEDs on the link decryptor board: a green LED next to 3 red LEDs. What do the 3 red LEDs signify?
Thanks for you input! Power has been on for only a few minutes. I will leave it powered up for 3 to 4 days to see if there is any change to these LEDs.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: