Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » RealD XL and XLD Manuals

Author Topic: RealD XL and XLD Manuals
Peter Bua-ay
Film Handler

- posted 08-27-2017 01:02 AM      Profile for Peter Bua-ay   Email Peter Bua-ay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi All,

Anyone can share link for Reald MAnuals? Cant find any at their website. They'll gonna replace our MI remaining orders with RealD product.

Thanks

|  IP: Logged

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 08-27-2017 10:03 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I assume you have the MI "XL Clone" adapters? These were never (as far as I know) sold in North America due to patent issues.
I have these manuals somewhere but I'm not keen on scanning them. They come with the product and there's no great need to preview them.
Both the XL and XL-W (what is an XL-D?) mount on the same base, this has a height and tilt system to get the optical alignment correct. That sits on a rail assembly that allows it to be slid in and out of the image beam, this is a manual operation unless you get a motorized slider (Real-D does not make these as far as I know).
That rail assembly attaches to the projector mount: there are specific mounts for each brand and model of projector and/or pedestal.
So you get three boxes for each system: the optical assembly, the leveling base/rail unit, and the projector mount.
The XL-W is really large and heavy, the XL is not small but is much easier to handle. The XL handles down to around 1.6 throw ratio (I think) but vignettes below there, so the XL-W is needed... I don't know the limit of the XL-W.
Tips:
- With Barco projectors at least, set the rail height so the scissor jack is up at least halfway with the optical alignment correct... if the rails are too high (scissor very low) you need to remove the mount to get the front off the projector for service.
- if you use the 3D connector cable (rather than the GPIO connector cable) you don't need the XL power supply, it powers from the projector. The optical unit takes very little power as there's no blower and the polarizers are passive.
- Alignment adjustment is tricky but follow the instructions exactly and it goes OK.
- Unlike a Z-Screen or the MI wheel or Wave systems, 2D focus is badly affected by the XL even when it's adjusted as perfectly as is possible. So please don't leave the thing in for 2D shows. A Z-Screen left in for a 2D program gives low brightness and incorrect colors... but at least the focus isn't ruined.

Peter Bua-ay
Film Handler

- posted 08-28-2017 12:29 AM      Profile for Peter Bua-ay   Email Peter Bua-ay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Dave.

XL-D is their new product (as per RealD) that supports our dual projection set up.

I can set up any MI 3D system from the oldest model up to their newest one (Horizon 1.1). Im just looking for RealD 3D system manuals just to look at it if I can get any information as MI was already bought by them but never supports their product nor continue to fabricate them. Their website doesn't provide any supporting documents.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: