Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Doremi DCP 2000 to NEC NC1600 not marrying.

Author Topic: Doremi DCP 2000 to NEC NC1600 not marrying.
Kyle McKinnon
Film Handler

- posted 08-25-2017 03:31 PM      Profile for Kyle McKinnon   Email Kyle McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

I am hoping someone can help me work through a marrying issue I am having between the Doremi DCP 2000 and the NEC NC1600. Will these devices work together?

|  IP: Logged

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 08-25-2017 05:15 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 1600 is a Series 1 machine, isn't it?

There is no "marrying" to be done, as such: assuming that both machines have the current software versions, the media block (Dolphin) in the DCP2000 is OK, and the Gore board in the projector is OK, you should be all set.

One reason for a failure to connect might be if the TLS certificate in the projector has got stuck, and the recovery procedure needs to be run. This is not uncommon with Series 1 machines, and TI publishes a recovery patch and instruction sheet for doing this.

Another might be if the media block battery has run down and its certificate has been lost (possible if the DCP2000 has been in storage and powered down for some time), in which case I'm afraid that the media block will need to be returned to Dolby for reprogramming.

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-25-2017 09:02 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Kyle McKinnon
Doremi DCP 2000 and the NEC NC1600. Will these devices work together?

No Problem!
-
One of the places I regularly work at has had an NEC-1600c and
a Doremi DCP-2000 in use for quite some time. I was there just
yesterday. (and yes, Leo, the 1600 is a Series One projector)

> Is this an existing system that stopped working,
or a system you are trying to set up?
> What kind of error messages are you getting?
> Can you play unencrypted DCP content OK?
If so, than it's most likely a problem with the Dolphin card
in the Doremi.

The system I described above was moved from another location
and had been in storage for some time. When we first tried to
put it back in service, we found that the battery on the Dolphin
card had run down (one of the things Leo mentioned) and so we
had to send the entire board to Dolby to swap it for a new one.
I don't remember what that cost, but it's not free.

If it's a newly installed system, make sure you've got the inputs
on the NEC configured correctly to accept the dual-link SDI signals.
(I ran into this problem too when the system above was put in)

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 08-26-2017 08:32 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The usual issue with S1 projectors and SDI servers is an incompatible TI interface card in the projector. Servers with DCI compliant software require Cinelink TLS link encryption and early versions of the TI card can't do that. Check the card version using DCC or the TI control program. Some unencapsulated boards (the new ones have a black encapsulation block covering the board, older ones you can see the components) will do TLS but you may have to do a certificate recovery process.
If they are incompatible, the interface card can be replaced but it isn't cheap.
Once a server has had the DCI versions installed, it can not be reverted to a previous version and no manufacturer supplies pre-DCI servers... this is prohibited after they get DCI certification on a server model. You may find used servers with old software.

Kyle McKinnon
Film Handler

- posted 08-26-2017 09:35 AM      Profile for Kyle McKinnon   Email Kyle McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for the responses. I will pass this information along to our projectionist.

Cheers!
Kyle

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 08-26-2017 10:07 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Dolby DSS100/DSP100 can freely move in/out of DCI version. That is, you can move to 4.7.3.3 and above (DCI compliant) and move back to older versions (non-DCI). However, on the DSS200's CAT862, you are correct, once you go to 4.4.x, you are forever on DCI complaint versions.

However, the only thing lost on DCI compliant versions is Cinelink 2 DH. Cinelink 1 is still available and can work with older TI interface boards.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: