Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Christie ACT failed

Author Topic: Christie ACT failed
Andrew Freeman
Film Handler

- posted 08-08-2017 06:36 PM      Profile for Andrew Freeman   Email Andrew Freeman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey everyone,

Long time reader, first time poster. We had a tree fall cause a power outage at one of our theaters, and after everything came back to life, our ACT seems to have stayed dead. I've noticed that while there are no status lights, and the Cue, Error and Ready lights are blank as well, the LED's on the buttons themselves and the green light indicating the Ethernet cable is working and connected both light up when the ACT is plugged in. Please let me know your guys thoughts and thank you much.

|  IP: Logged

Arnold Chase
Film Handler

- posted 08-08-2017 09:48 PM      Profile for Arnold Chase   Email Arnold Chase   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Given that this happened after a tree hit the power lines, (and I assume that your facility has three-phase power), there's a good chance that the tree caused some nastiness between the primary phases. Since this can create nasty power spikes, the first thing I would suggest would be for you do a reset: hold the #1 and #5 down for five seconds - you should see the CUE /READY / ERROR lights flash. You can also check the 5 volt and 12 volt power rails on the back of the ACT, where there are terminals internally connected at the input area. If one or more of the power rails are missing, hopefully there will be blown fuses inside which will solve your problem. Please note, however, that these outputs are apparently isolated from the internal electronics, so if they check good then you will still need to open the unit and check for other blown fuses inside.
One other thought is because the ACT does not have an internal backup battery, if power is lost it will revert to a startup condition.

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-18-2017 02:26 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a very common failure with the ACT. I probably replace one unit every other month due to this. They usually fail at power up. An unusual power event is likely to cause an issue, but I've had units fail even when connected to a UPS. Christie will replace the ACT if under warranty. Are you able to log into the web GUI?

Arnold, that's some interesting information. In all my years servicing these and reporting this type of failure to Christie (which has happened more times than I can count), never once have they suggested any type of troubleshooting that could be done to recover the unit in the field. I will have to try this button 1 and 5 reset next time. Does that restore factory settings, including IP address? I would guess that the fuse is good since the buttons light up, it's just the Ready light that doesn't come on (and the unit doesn't respond to any commands and you can't log into it, but it does seem to have power).

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: