Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » DCP projectors and dead/stuck pixels

Author Topic: DCP projectors and dead/stuck pixels
Paul Gordon
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-31-2017 05:33 AM      Profile for Paul Gordon   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Gordon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone noticed that this is becoming more of a problem as these DCP projectors age? Nothing worse then a stuck pink pixel on screen and repair cost is not cheap! Anyone else see this as increasing problem?

|  IP: Logged

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 07-31-2017 06:36 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All DLP projectors are, unfortunately, prone to dead or stuck pixels. Dead "sub" pixels usually are less of a problem than stuck pixels though. Most people will have a hard time seeing one of them.

A pink pixel would be something rather special, it would require exactly the same "sub" pixel being stuck on both the RED and BLUE DMD (and a properly converged machine).

Obviously, the chance of encountering a stuck pixel adds up over the age of those machines, so yes, it is becoming more of a problem, although less than I actually expected.

The only way to repair a stuck pixel is to replace the DMD, in most cases this comes down to a light-engine swap.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-31-2017 11:19 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With 2K equipments I've only had two with stuck pixels. Another two of the very first 4K projectors also had stuck pixel issues. I swapped those 4K engines out very early on. On the 2K front one was self inflicted due to demolition work being done right next to the projector. The shock from the demolition killed a large number of pixels, close to 60 that I could count. I replaced that light engine because we got a killer deal on a new one that cost less then repairing the bad engine. On another projector I have one stuck blue pixel which is not quite as detrimental because the eye is not as sensitive to that color blue. No one has ever complained about it, so it has stayed and no other pixels have failed. Keep in mind this is out of 334 DLP I installed. So overall that's a dam good record. I had a bug get into an NC-900 engine and make a sorta mess that caused a yellow splotch in the upper left corner, but that has actually cleared up on it's own.

Mark

Paul Gordon
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-31-2017 02:32 PM      Profile for Paul Gordon   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Gordon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been seeing it a lot lately. The Hot Docs Cinema in Toronto which installed their projector in 2014 has a dead pixel, The Canadian Film Institute had a stuck pink pixel after only a few years with the new projector. They shelled out like $30,000 to replace the light engine. Several Cineplex screens have blow pixels in Ottawa.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-31-2017 10:06 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What brand of projector? Going to the movies around my area which encompases mostly Barco and Christie, I just never ever see it. 30K for a light engine, had to be a 4K engine.

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: