Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Planar PT1545 Monitors

Author Topic: Planar PT1545 Monitors
Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-26-2017 02:33 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just an update on the direction I went with these. Repairing the CCFL circuit can be done, but is basically a waste of time as the semiconductors are only available out of China and a bit pricy. So I have been converting them to LED back light. Taking the LCD panel apart on these is fairly easy to do and I have done about a dozen of these now, and have my repair time down to about an hour not counting time for the silicone to cure that I use to glue the LED strips into the metal reflectors. Locating the back light switching voltage was also a bit tricky. The LED lighting needs to shut off with loss of video just like the CCFL does. If anything the LED back light is a tad bit brighter and has better contrast then the CCFL does.

-

|  IP: Logged

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 07-26-2017 09:29 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Although elegant, why "must" the LEDs shut off on video loss?

Buck Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-26-2017 09:38 PM      Profile for Buck Wilson   Email Buck Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent! Start a return/service program!

John Roddy
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-26-2017 10:41 PM      Profile for John Roddy   Author's Homepage   Email John Roddy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's the power draw of the display with LEDs compared to CCFL? I'm wondering if it's possible to just junk the power board and replace it with a 12V/5V external brick. That would open up some interesting possibilities for power delivery…

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 07-27-2017 08:20 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Dave Macaulay
To save power and hours on the LEDs I presume.

It's pretty normal for a monitor to go into standby mode after the input signal is lost.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-27-2017 11:01 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Dave Macaulay

Because if one loses the video feed as in shutting down the server, the LED's stay on but the actual screen power still shuts off, and then the screen goes bright white. It would do the same thing if the CCFL lamps did not shut off.

quote: John Roddy
What's the power draw of the display with LEDs compared to CCFL?
LED = .9 amp. CCFL = 1.15 amps. So the LED's draw just a tad bit less power. I could also include a potentiometer to be able to adjust the LED brightness. But it is just about right the way it is.

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: