Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » DMX Fixtures and Accessories - JNIOR

Author Topic: DMX Fixtures and Accessories - JNIOR
Bruce Cloutier
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-19-2017 04:35 PM      Profile for Bruce Cloutier   Author's Homepage   Email Bruce Cloutier   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
INTEG is developing versions of the JNIOR that can support DMX512. It's not a big deal but we have gotten a little interested in it. In the meantime I wanted to make it known that if you have a Model 410, and many of you do, you can control a full DMX512 universe. You just need to make an adapter and update to the JANOS v1.6.2 OS which hasn't been officially released but is available for the asking.

Anyway, I've written the following paper that describes how to do it.

AppNote JNIOR DMX512 Implementation

I'm interested in comments (sly or otherwise). We are likely going to need to do some pro bono application work for those interested in using DMX fixtures with the JNIOR. We'd like to get into some of that sooner than later.

|  IP: Logged

Bruce Cloutier
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-17-2017 04:39 PM      Profile for Bruce Cloutier   Author's Homepage   Email Bruce Cloutier   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well the very first 412DMX JNIOR prototype is coming together. I personally assemble these things by hand and test them. More or less the 412DMX is a JNIOR 412 (12 relay outputs) with a DMX512 port replacing the AUX RS-232 port.

There are a couple of other differences. I am playing around with a built-in 20-second UPS to ride through those pesky 4 or 5 second power outages. You know, to help those who don't actually install a separate UPS. That happens. That might be rolled back through the line if it works as advertised.

Also there is change in the Flash memory. Not only is there more storage capacity but it is an order of magnitude faster. That'll help applications that are database or metric monitoring based. Maybe we might actually include documentation on each JNIOR. The DCP includes Registry documentation now. This new Flash approach may also be rolled back through the line.

Anyway, I am not a big fan of Twitter but I have been tweeting images of the 412DMX with hashtag #412DMX. It's proof that prototypes are hand built and soldered using a toaster oven! Check it out if you are otherwise bored. @integpg

By the way, those of you who like to yank power to reboot... Well, you'll have to be a little patient with these 412DMX units. You'll be able to force a reboot with a paperclip thru a hole. Also, you might not know that with current Series 4 a 0.100" jumper can be used through the hole between the LAN connector and the RS-232 COM port to reboot (uh... a screwdriver short can get the job done).

Also, Kevin and I have started experimenting with a forum of our own. We hope to let you directly tap the technical expertise at INTEG (basically the two of us). You can join and help us get something started: http://jnior.com. Uh, that is if you are not shy about being the first to jump in.

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: