Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » The Heads are "Cut Off"

Author Topic: The Heads are "Cut Off"
Dave Bird
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-15-2017 06:56 PM      Profile for Dave Bird   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Bird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wondering if anyone knows the technical term the Director uses for scenes shot where the tops of heads aren't all visible. We occasionally have people convinced we aren't projecting properly and I'm just wondering if there's a term for that.

|  IP: Logged

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-15-2017 07:50 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Dave Bird
We occasionally have people convinced we aren't projecting
properly and I'm just wondering if there's a term for that.

Yes- - "stupid people"

. . but seriously, it's been many years since film school but
I think it's sometimes called an ECU or ETS.

("Extreme Close-Up" or "Extreme Tight-Shot" )I've heard both
used, but I think the first one is more common here in the USA.

It might be called something different in other countries.

(But stupid people are pretty much the same everywhere! [Razz] )

Dave Bird
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-15-2017 08:09 PM      Profile for Dave Bird   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Bird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Jim! We play our 'Scope films at the very top of our (drive-in) screen as a way of allowing people to see better over the cars and because we're not "filling the screen" people think we're up to something. I don't think they realize how little we actually do anymore. Once or twice I haven't even unlocked the (upstairs) booth door..... That said, I'm not all that sure why Directors cut off heads, I just know they do.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-15-2017 08:13 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
In almost every shot the "eyeline" should be between 1/4 to 1/3 of the way down the image. If you were to take a 1.85 or 2.40 rectangle and draw these two lines on it and then watch a professionally shot movie (not some amateur thing), you will see rarely does the actor's eyes go higher or lower.

It's called proper composition.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 07-17-2017 02:05 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Dave Bird
Wondering if anyone knows the technical term the Director uses for scenes shot where the tops of heads aren't all visible. We occasionally have people convinced we aren't projecting properly and I'm just wondering if there's a term for that.
I think the right word you're looking for is "incompetence".

Well, just "kidding".

But I think there are very few legitimate reasons to cut off heads during a normal shot. Only for extreme close-ups and dramatic reasons it makes sense.

Bad cinematography should be punishable. Everyone guilty should be punished to watch their own creations all over again. [Wink]

Jarod Reddig
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-17-2017 03:24 AM      Profile for Jarod Reddig   Email Jarod Reddig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well put Brad.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 07-17-2017 06:12 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rule of Thirds?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rule_of_thirds

The rule of thirds is a "rule of thumb" or guideline which applies to the process of composing visual images such as designs, films, paintings, and photographs.[1] The guideline proposes that an image should be imagined as divided into nine equal parts by two equally spaced horizontal lines and two equally spaced vertical lines, and that important compositional elements should be placed along these lines or their intersections.[2] Proponents of the technique claim that aligning a subject with these points creates more tension, energy and interest in the composition than simply centering the subject.[citation needed]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Headroom_(photographic_framing)

One rule of thumb taken from classic portrait painting techniques,[2] called the "rule of thirds",[3][4] suggests that the subject's eyes, as a center of interest, are ideally positioned one-third of the way down from the top of the frame.[5][unreliable source?]

Mike Schulz
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-17-2017 07:07 PM      Profile for Mike Schulz   Email Mike Schulz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jim Cassedy
("Extreme Close-Up" or "Extreme Tight-Shot" )I've heard both
used, but I think the first one is more common here in the USA.

Canadians also use Extreme Close-Up

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 07-17-2017 08:43 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Warner Bros Haircut
[URL=https://books.google.com/books?id=RB4eqdcgPbsC&pg=PA190&lpg=PA190&dq=Warner+Bros+Haircut&source=bl&ots=w2PpJI4TB4&sig=WUZH5jTgmFYulATD8SjNvYol2UY&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiZ1p7k2ZHVAhUJbiYKHex1AaoQ6AEIUTAM#v=onepage&q=Warner%20Bros%20Haircut&f=fals e]Movie Speak[/URL]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: