Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » New trick - ICMP and DCP-O-Matic clip

Author Topic: New trick - ICMP and DCP-O-Matic clip
Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 06-25-2017 09:21 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The clip is some type of 1080x1920 HDTV packaged as an unencrypted DCP with DCP-O-Matic.
The DCP 1920x1080 video is not centred, it has the 128x1080 unused pixels all at the right of the active pixels in a full-chip projected image.
The trick is that the ICMP somehow saves the video in that 128x1080 pixel block from whatever played immediately previous. Not a still frame, a short loop (~1/2 sec?) of the previous video is repeated in that strip of image as long as the new clip is playing. On a cold boot it shows video noise in that strip.
Odd and interesting. We will add a lens shift and screen file to centre the image we want on screen - and not show the weird looping zombie video - but it's a PITA.

|  IP: Logged

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 06-26-2017 01:46 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Could be the issue Barco mentions in InfoT 1239, it certainly is not a DCP-o-matic issue, but caused by the strange format/active pixel area.

---
Image displayed by the ICMP is not as expected. For example:
• Garbage data outside the active area: Random data or data from previous displays
• Wrong re-sizing of 2K and 4K images • Etc.
---

Which is solved by using auto PCF files.

- Carsten

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 06-26-2017 03:49 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like a pretty standard bug, where they forget to clear some buffer before playback. At least now you know how big the buffer is. [Wink]

But really, such kind of rather trivial bugs should've been detected during standard unit testing.

It would be interesting to know what model of ICMP and software revision you're having this issue with.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 06-28-2017 03:55 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Makes one curious on which container used to put this file in, for I use 16:9 in DCP-o-Matic when creating DCP content, save in my ICMP and get great results on playback using the 2D Flat macro.

Mike Babb
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-05-2017 04:06 AM      Profile for Mike Babb   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Babb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had an issue recently where I was using an ICMP with defined source size/aspect and for 1080 images the image was kicked left or right, I forget which, and for 858 images it was kicked down or up. In the PCF file all looked correct. The only way to solve it was to put it back to DCDM XYZ AUTO with no definition of source size.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: