Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Projector Auto Alignment

Author Topic: Projector Auto Alignment
Andrew Carr
Film Handler

- posted 06-12-2017 01:19 PM      Profile for Andrew Carr   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew Carr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello, I wanted to ask here how many of you are using auto projection alignment systems for your theaters?
What systems do you use/recommend? We're currently looking at options to deploy in our theaters.
Most of our installs use dual projector, 3D Christie projection and their AutoCal systems are pretty costly...

|  IP: Logged

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 06-12-2017 05:10 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Which systems actually do exist besides Christe Duo? IMAX and Sony DS use them, but they are fully proprietary anyway...

- Carsten

Andrew Carr
Film Handler

- posted 06-15-2017 11:21 AM      Profile for Andrew Carr   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew Carr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I'e been looking at ScalableDisplay, Vioso, Qalif and a couple of others.
Most of the solutions out there are software based systems that run on PC based servers so I'm not sure what folks would used with Series 2 setups.

Harold Hallikainen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-15-2017 11:44 AM      Profile for Harold Hallikainen   Author's Homepage   Email Harold Hallikainen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder about the need for "automatic projector alignment." Such a system assumes that the sensing equipment is more stable than the projector, which may or may not be the case. I think projection systems (including sound) are pretty stable, but they eventually drift or fail, so the trick is to catch the drift or failure without having to visit the site and make measurements. That's the idea behind the LSS-100P (latest manual at http://ftp.uslinc.com/ftp/Products/LSS-100P/Software/Firmware/beta/LSS-100P_UserManual_160817.pdf ). A test show is run causing a measurement script to run that captures screen luminance and chromaticity and SPL on each speaker (or array for surround arrays). Data can be viewed directly on the LSS using a web browser. It can also be posted to a central database for further analysis.

There are, of course, similar systems out there with different feature sets. I'm just most familiar with this one since I designed it.

Harold

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 06-15-2017 05:21 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Andrew Carr
Well I'e been looking at ScalableDisplay, Vioso, Qalif and a couple of others.
But none of them work on DCI machines, so...?

auto projection alignment systems
Maybe I misunderstood your question, assuming you were after an automatic dual projection geometry alignment system like Christie Duo...? If you are after automatic calibration cinema/DCI systems, I don't think any systems are available. These systems are calibrated or QC checked in certain intervals. That's it. I don't think Christies AutoCal works with their DCI systems - it's for a different market/application. And, just like Harold, I question the need for an automatic calibration in the cinema.

If you are looking for automated QC in a DCI/cinema environment, USLs LSS-100P, as quoted by Harold, may indeed be the best you can get.

- Carsten

Tammo Buhren
Film Handler

- posted 06-16-2017 03:47 AM      Profile for Tammo Buhren   Author's Homepage   Email Tammo Buhren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Qalif is exactly what you need. It does a fully automated alignment of your projectors including Dual-Projector, Colors, Focus etc.
Have a look at the website of Harkness.
Harkness Qalif

It uses Test-Pattern-DCPs coming with the product.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 06-16-2017 06:20 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Tammo, missed this.

- Carsten

Harold Hallikainen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-16-2017 02:44 PM      Profile for Harold Hallikainen   Author's Homepage   Email Harold Hallikainen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for posting that info! That's more detail than I had previously seen. Is any pricing info available?

Thanks!

Harold

Andrew Carr
Film Handler

- posted 06-23-2017 10:28 AM      Profile for Andrew Carr   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew Carr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the info! We are looking at getting a demo unit from Qalif for evaluation. I'll report back once we've had a chance to play with it.

Mattias Mattsson
Film Handler

- posted 03-15-2018 10:15 PM      Profile for Mattias Mattsson   Email Mattias Mattsson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We are looking at getting a demo unit from Qalif for evaluation. I'll report back once we've had a chance to play with it.
Really interested to hear about this. Did you have the chance to test it?

Andrew Carr
Film Handler

- posted 03-26-2018 10:31 AM      Profile for Andrew Carr   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew Carr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not yet, it's on the to-do list!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: