Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Barco dp2k-10s going "haywire" - projection all garbled (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Barco dp2k-10s going "haywire" - projection all garbled
Marlon Martins
Film Handler

- posted 06-07-2017 05:32 AM      Profile for Marlon Martins   Email Marlon Martins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

the projector was working fine, after a few hours of use, image started to get red stripes. turning on/off works again, after 1 hour, the problem happens again.

temperatures are ok, ventilation ok, we re-seated all the boards, works again, 2 hours later, same problem. manager does not show any problems, everything works as should (besides "broken" projection). happens with any video, any screen format, does not seems a "consistent" problem.

any guesses on the source of the problem? or what board is most likely to be the root cause?

thanks in advance [Wink]

|  IP: Logged

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 06-07-2017 06:37 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It looks like red is ok and green or blue is weird.
Try "uncorrected" test patterns, if they are good then possibly the media block has gone crazy.
If patterns are bad... ICP, or the Blue or Green formatter, maybe the backplane?
I would then swap the red and the screwy color's formatter data cables and see where the problem is - ICP or formatter.
Possibly a connection issue though, since reseating did help a while. Clean the card connectors gently with isopropyl and reseat a few times in a row. I haven't had probs with the internal cables but if you do reseat them be careful of the connectors, they have tiny locking tabs that must be released.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 06-07-2017 07:10 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Which server is actually in this 10s? ICMP/Alchemy, or other brand (Doremi/Dolby)?

- Carsten

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 06-07-2017 04:48 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
there was a software update for the ICMP which was covering colour flashes - you may want to make sure you are running the latest version.
And what Dave said: using proper antistatic measures you can clean the connectors and see if that helps.

Run test patterns when the picture goes wrong - including calibration RGBW - and see what happens.
You may also need to reseat the formatter cables - or swap them to see if the issue follow the formatter or the cards.

I vote for an engine issue. [Smile]

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 06-07-2017 09:53 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of my co-workers recently had a DP-2000 with a similar symptom (in this case uniform white vertical stripes). The light engine was FUBAR.

Marlon Martins
Film Handler

- posted 06-07-2017 11:55 PM      Profile for Marlon Martins   Email Marlon Martins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thanks again guys, great tips here.

the server is a IMS-1000.

i will be back with the results... [Wink]

Adrian Avram
Film Handler

- posted 06-08-2017 02:05 AM      Profile for Adrian Avram   Email Adrian Avram   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,
Looking at the symptom, my bet is on the IMS 1000, providing the test patterns are displayed fine.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 06-08-2017 02:44 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Dave Macaulay
It looks like red is ok and green or blue is weird.
I might be mistaken, but to me it looks more like red is all messed up and green and blue are OK. You can clearly see the garbled up pattern being more intense in the darker parts of the image.

If it's a problem that only occurs after a few hours, I would say you first try to recreate it and then run those test patterns, or else you will likely not establish anything about the source of the problem.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 06-08-2017 06:18 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes it does look like a red issue. Brain fart.
But this doesn't look like a server problem to me. Image corruption like that is probably ICP or formatter - or connection issues.
You need to look at test patterns. Pure colors R G B WH BK should tell a tale. If you can pause a playback showing the corruption and check patterns that look good, then cancel the pattern and see a still corrupt image... that points at the IMS. Patterns are mostly generated or stored/displayed by the ICP.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 06-08-2017 09:05 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was asking for the specific server, because, since it is an IMS1000, there is a separate TI ICP. If it was an Alchemy/ICMP, then all electronics before the formatters are on it, no separate ICP.

- Carsten

Marlon Martins
Film Handler

- posted 06-10-2017 07:22 AM      Profile for Marlon Martins   Email Marlon Martins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ICP was changed to test... everything worked fine again... FOR A DAY! then garbled screen again...

the technicians will come today for to do a "tear-down" to find the possible cause. [Frown]

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 06-10-2017 11:01 AM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it possible that you have a problem with overheating? Is your projection room air conditioned and ventilated?

Marlon Martins
Film Handler

- posted 06-10-2017 01:03 PM      Profile for Marlon Martins   Email Marlon Martins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
by the temperature readings, everything is ok (FPGA at 55ºc, DMD at 28ºC, IC's and LPS 35ºC, etc...) Also, is winter here, is damn cold. Room has AC at full-power 24/7. the exhaust air is directed outside the room.

the only thing weird is the lamp temperature reading. its 96ºC most of the time, even with projector cold for a hour (even without the lamp being turned on prior). i warned them about that, most likely a sensor problem, and not actually the lamp at 96ºC.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 06-11-2017 05:23 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
there is probably not much that your tech can do. If re-seating cables and clean contacts/connectors does not help, you'll have to replace parts.
Do the test pattern thing to find out what part is experiencing problems or you'll drag this issue on and on forever.

In the end your options are limited: backplane or formatter (engine) as the ICP has already been replaced. This is assuming the issue is showing up with test patterns too.

Marlon Martins
Film Handler

- posted 06-11-2017 02:11 PM      Profile for Marlon Martins   Email Marlon Martins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thanks guys for all the help. the technicians basically disassembled the whole thing and after a full day working fine, it showed the error again.

the owner then decided to get a barco dp2k-19b as we need a more powerful projector to replace this one. (as i was already recommending a while ago) they want to buy quickly, so i need your help once again:

what server to get with the new projector, the alchemy that come with it by default, or a IMS2000? the main need is "stability and longevity", cause a working projector is "the main need". [Wink]

thanks again [Wink]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: