Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Security camera system for the screens

Author Topic: Security camera system for the screens
Gunnar Asgeirsson
Film Handler

- posted 05-29-2017 07:54 AM      Profile for Gunnar Asgeirsson   Author's Homepage   Email Gunnar Asgeirsson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, i was wondering.
And hopefully this is not off topic.
But what security cam system are you using on the screen at your cinema. There are old b&w cameras now on the screens and i can look at them from b&w monitor in on in my office in the projection booth but i would like to install new ip system so i could get it in color and log me into the cameras from home or from smartphone or something like that.

There is a lot of stuff available but maybe someone here could recommend some system that have been working well to remotely monitor the screens.

|  IP: Logged

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 05-29-2017 08:27 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been using ZoneMinder with compatible IP cams, primarily Axis cameras for a while now. It actually beats a lot of those commercial, integrated solutions out there, both on price and performance. The downside is you need some IT knowledge to make it work according to your wishes.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 05-29-2017 03:40 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you already have black and white cameras, you should be able to simply replace those with HD color cameras, using the same cables and power supplies. Then you just need to upgrade your DVR and connect it to the internet. If you're looking for a IP camera, it's a pretty straight forward installation. It just needs to be within range of your wifi, or run a network cable to the nearest switch. Then you open ports on your router.

I have 4 DVRs between my theatre and drive-in which I can access from anywhere, and 1 (soon to be 2) IP camera which I can also access from anywhere.

Most of our equipment comes from Super Circuits, but you can find systems at most electronics stores or big box retailer.

Mattias Mattsson
Film Handler

- posted 05-29-2017 03:57 PM      Profile for Mattias Mattsson   Email Mattias Mattsson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have installed a lot of (non-wireless) Axis cameras in the M10-series: https://www.axis.com/products/axis-m10-series

The current, most basic, wired model is M1025.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 05-30-2017 01:34 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our stage managers always had cameras on the stage so they could see the action from they position off-stage in the wings. Someone accidentally discovered that the old B&W cameras that we were using which used vidicon tube pickups, were quite sensitive to infrared light, i.e., they could "see" in the dark if the stage was lit with infrared. We quickly hung infrared lights around the stage. When the show called for a black-out cue for props and actors to be positioned, the image on the SM's monitor could still see everything that was going on...a big help for the SM.

You might want to consider if the "night vision" capability of your setup would be more beneficial than a camera that only sees normal light; or at least consider a cam that has very good low-light sensitivity. I assume you'll want to see what's going on in the theatre when the movie is running and it is relatively dark. "Night vision" capability might be a way to go, or it might just be a matter of getting cameras that will work in a very low light situation.

I always thought the best place to put a camera to watch patron activity would be above the screen facing them rather than in the projection booth. You want to see what the schmuckers are doing head-on so you can see the glow of their cellphones rather than only being able to see the back of their pin heads.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 05-30-2017 04:55 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most modern CCD or CMOS based IP cams will also work with IR light, but you also need an IR source. Try to point an IR remote into it and see how you can see the little IR LED light up once you push a button.

There are many models with built-in IR light sources, which can be automatically switched on, depending on light level.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: