Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » DSP100 can not be able to ingest content why?

Author Topic: DSP100 can not be able to ingest content why?
Jordi Aguila
Film Handler

- posted 05-25-2017 11:43 AM      Profile for Jordi Aguila   Email Jordi Aguila   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello,

we have sended to a theater with Dolby DSP100 server Atmos 4K and atmos 2K DCPs and both are impossible to ingest. When they connect the disk to the server, on the screen appears the CPLs of the disk but with red cross and they can not be able to ingest them. This DCP was ingested in Doremi, GDC, Sony and Dolby DSS200.

They have another DCPs with Atmos content and they have no problems to ingest and play them.

Anyone have an idea what is going on? One technician say to me that could be because the server is not up to date and it dosen't accept the encrypted subtitles.

I'm sending a new Interop copy to see if this server have any problem with the SMPTE DCPs made by our DCP authory soft or the encryption of the subtitles.

Thank you.

|  IP: Logged

Stephan Shelley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-25-2017 01:02 PM      Profile for Stephan Shelley   Email Stephan Shelley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First what version of software are you running.

While the DSS/DSP 100 will play back 4K content in 2K only and will play back Atmos files but only in 5.1 or 7.1 if you have it setup for it. It can not play Atmos content in Atmos or 4K content in 4K.

Older software may not recognize the Atmos. 4.7.7.3 is the most current for the DSS/DSP100. You may have to pay a fee to get the upgrade key.

Mike Renlund
Film Handler

- posted 05-25-2017 01:47 PM      Profile for Mike Renlund   Email Mike Renlund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DSP100 will not play 25FPS content (or High Frame Rate). What frame rate is the content you are trying to play?

Our support team is also available if you want us to look at logs. CinemaSupport@dolby.com

Mike Renlund
Dolby

Greg Routenburg
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-26-2017 11:35 AM      Profile for Greg Routenburg   Email Greg Routenburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In my experience with the DSP100s, if you have a Red X beside the content listing, that usually indicates that a component of the DCP is either missing or unreadable. If it's the wrong frame rate, you usually get a little square red icon that looks sort of like a film strip to indicate that it's the wrong frame rate. If the firmware is really old though, it might appear differently. I've never worked on anything older than software ver 4.3.5. I've had the frame rate problem with a lot of film festival content arriving from Europe being shipped at 25fps. I've also seen this when you have content transferred from a TV source at 23.975fps. Most post houses consider that the same as 24fps but it throws the DSP100 for a loop. Again though, it's a different icon that I've seen when that happens.

Jordi Aguila
Film Handler

- posted 05-31-2017 03:31 AM      Profile for Jordi Aguila   Email Jordi Aguila   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The DCP is a 4K Atmos and 5.1 encrypted with subtitles DCP at 24fps.

We've delivered to the cinema another DCP Atmos/5.1 encrypted but in 2K and it didn't work too.

At the end we had sended a 2K encrypted interop 5.1 DCP and it works.

We're trying to extract the report log to see what could be the problem, but we're having problems to contact with the projectionist.

The possible theories are:
- Problems to accept encoding SHA256 for the encryption in our DCP.
- The server have an old firmware and don't accept encrypted SMPTE subtitles.
- They had any trouble with the space in the server (to purgue orfan assets or KDMs, etc...) and for this it was not be able to ingest our DCP Atmos/5.1.

We will see.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 05-31-2017 06:33 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd think that any DSS/DSP100 would need to be on 4.7 to deal with encrypted subtitles and even then, it may be dicey. Dolby worked on encrypted SMPTE subtitles quite a bit for 4.8.10.4 for the DSS200. I don't know if they have brought out a corresponding 4.7.x version for the DSS/DSP100 series. I believe Atmos is a non-starter for the DSS100/DSP100 though it should be able to play the conventional 5.1/7.1 tracks.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 06-01-2017 07:13 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's the reason why distributors have not switched to single inventory for ATMOS features. If it is ATMOS, it needs to be SMPTE. If it is SMPTE, it needs to be compliant to all other SMPTE aspects, like MXF wrapped subs. There is a reason why most content is still distributed in interop format worldwide...

The very minimum you should try to achieve is to get the actual software version that is running on the server. And be familiar with these numbers, so you know when they tell you wrong. There are places where the people being 'responsible' to operate the equipment don't know more than to switch it on, ingest DCPs, build playlists, and start them. You can not expect any site being more capable to do this nowadays. Finding out the software version or to extract logs is already far fetching.

- Carsten

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: