Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Wizard of Oz 4k

Author Topic: Wizard of Oz 4k
Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 05-22-2017 02:36 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone else shown the Wizard of Oz 4k? We're only 2k, but something is bothering me enough to mention.

The sepia Kansas scenes have flicker. That has to have been added for the digital version, right? Were the DVD/BluRays like this, too? I certainly don't remember if they were.

The flicker is bad enough that I load other content just to be sure it wasn't our lamp.

The color Oz content seems to be fine.

|  IP: Logged

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 05-22-2017 03:20 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't seen it on screen, but there are TWO 4K versions - one from 2009 and one from 2017.

WIZARD-OF-OZ_FTR_F_EN-XX_US-G_51_4K_XM_20090914_MPI
WizardofOz_FTR_F_EN-XX_OV_51_4K_WR_20170302_DTB_IOP_OV

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 05-22-2017 05:21 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
FWIW, they both came on the hard drive, along with, god help us, a 2k 3D version.
I loaded the latter WR (wide release?) version.
Maybe if I get bored I'll ingest the other and see if they both flicker.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 05-23-2017 10:20 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WR is the ISDCF studio code for Warner Bros.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 05-23-2017 01:52 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And not being intimately familiar with Wizard of Oz lore, I noticed a hair in the gate at the end when Dorothy returns to Kansas. They couldn't be bothered to take that out for a digital restore, or would that set off a "Hans shot first" rage among the purists?

Getting back to the flicker, there is also a lot of flicker when Good Witch Glinda arrives in her magic bubble. I imagine this is just an artifact of early 3 Strip Special Effects.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: