Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Sony DSR 2000P recorder error.

Author Topic: Sony DSR 2000P recorder error.
Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 05-21-2017 05:26 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wasn't sure where to post this, since it's not related to the cinema, but this forum does say and all matters video.

This is a large, and heavy, DVCAM edit recorder, I think the P just indicates that it's the PAL version.

It was working on Friday. I moved it to my place, using a trolley with very good smooth-running wheels, and was very careful to avoid any shocks when lifting it on and off trains. Unpacked it yesterday, after reading the manual, connected to a monitor and powered it up. Set input selector to SG and get bars and tone on the monitor. Can also get EE picture on monitor if I connect a video source.

Insert a large DVCAM tape, it goes in ok, but no tape movement function, other than preroll, will work, the first thing I tried was just to fast forward. Tried another tape with the same result, ERROR 02- followed by three other digits, which varied. Tried a small cleaning tape, which was recognised as such, but then error when it tried to run the tape.

Went shopping and tried again about an hour later and now it won't take a tape in. I can push it in to the point where the motor should take over, but there is a pause before it does, it takes the tape in slightly, but not as far as the point where it should move down, and then spits it out. The error message now is consistant, ERROR 02-194, but the manual doesn't list error messages. I think it's something minor, and I'd rather avoid having to call in an engineer, or worse still transport it, if possible.

I took the top off and had a good look inside the cassette compartment, but there's no visible sign of anything wrong.

Anybody seen anything similar to this, have a listing of error codes, or have any suggestions for things to check

I'm planning to take the tapes to have checked on another machine tomorrow to make sure that it's not a tape problem but I don't think that it is.

|  IP: Logged

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 05-21-2017 09:48 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
According to this, error 02-194 means "Failed to detect both S and T reel FGs by the FG check during cassette tape insertion." I'm guessing that S = supply and T = takeup, but don't know what FG is. Something to do with the machine not detecting that the cassette is feeding and taking up the tape properly during the threading process would be my guess.

If this problem were only happening with one tape, I'd guess a bad cassette mechanism. But as it's happening with more than one, it looks to me like there is a hardware fault in the machine - sorry.

I've lost touch with what the market is like in Britain, but here, used, professional DVCAM VTRs with thousands of good hours left on them can be had on Ebay for $100-200. I bought a DSR-25 for $100-ish last year to do a transfer to files for archiving project. The transition to HD hit while these things were being manufactured by the bazillion, and so the used equipment market is flooded with them. If the market for PAL machines is in any way similar, it's probably not worth trying to get yours fixed, and just buy another one.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 05-21-2017 11:12 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for your reply Leo, the error code information is very useful. Where did you find it; do you have a Sony service manual, or can they be found on line somewhere?

I paid enough for it, though vastly less than it would have cost originally that it's worth trying to get it going.

I've just tried to load a tape again. During the process the supply hub spins, but the take-up one does not. The drum doesn't spin up, but that could well be because it's not getting far enough into the process for that to happen before it detects the fault, and shuts down. I did get a picture briefly from tape during preroll yesterday.

My guess is that the take-up is belt driven and that during several years of storage the belt has become stretched, glazed, taken up the set of it's shape around the pulleys etc. if the belt was slipping yesterday it might explain why the small amount of tape for a five second preroll could run, but not a longer length. Maybe one of the other error codes I saw was something like slack tape detected.

Next step, take the right hand cover off and take a look under the cassette mechanism I think. If that is the problem a new set of belts shouldn't be too difficult to obtain.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 05-21-2017 01:47 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Found it by Googling - see link in my post above.

Agreed - a belt problem fits all the known facts.

Carl Hetherington
Film Handler

- posted 05-21-2017 01:53 PM      Profile for Carl Hetherington   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Hetherington   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe FG is device fitted to a motor to give a pulse describing its speed in order to control it. See this book for some discussion. So it does sound like it's erroring on the fact that one of the spindles isn't moving.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 05-21-2017 02:57 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Carl, fancy meeting you here!

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 05-21-2017 09:36 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Who'da thunk a Sony deck would have a Film Guard detector?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: