Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » sudden level drop - cp750? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: sudden level drop - cp750?
Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 05-12-2017 04:33 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A friend just called me from the middle of a festival. Suddenly they had to push up their CP750 to 8 or 9 to get a decent level on their system. They tried with different content, but the problem remained. They usually play around 4. Anyone ever experienced that with a cp750? They said they can rule out the amps. Their server has no digital audio leveling capability. A dying power-supply? Overheating?

- Carsten

|  IP: Logged

Stephan Shelley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-12-2017 06:43 PM      Profile for Stephan Shelley   Email Stephan Shelley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you checked the power amps? I have recently had issues with the vol pots on the OSC DCA amps. They can cause a vol drop or sound cutout.

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 05-12-2017 07:08 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I found the same volume issues for a festival where the installer did not allow proper air flow and was running hot

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-12-2017 07:33 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I could make a good living just traveling the country cleaning QSC amps... If you clean the pots be sure to also clean the heat sinks.

-

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 05-12-2017 09:05 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They probably have more than one amp and all of them failing at the same time is highly unusual.

They probably have done some power cycling already? I'm not sure how this could be a power supply related failure, since it would be kind of an odd failure only to affect the pre-amp/analog part and not the digital/controller part of the processor.

I guess they're using digital inputs? In the unlikely case they're not, they might check the input side of things obviously.

Stephan Shelley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-12-2017 09:47 PM      Profile for Stephan Shelley   Email Stephan Shelley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You loose center channel you loose a lot and if it is a 4 channel amp.... Had one of those have dirty pots.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 05-13-2017 05:52 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They were in the mid of a festival screening when they called. They didn't bother to pull up the CP to 9 as long as they were there. They WERE bothered what would happen if for some reason 'the old' situation would come back and blast peoples heads off.

After that screening round, they powercycled, and placed a fan-blower on the CP750 and the issue was gone. Usually analog output amps would be sourced by the +/-15 Volts, so I would have suspected something around this. With some basic measurement gear it would have been easy to diagnose the call, but they don't have the gear and the knowledge to do this, especially not in the mid of a festival. As they are a bit far off the rest of the world, I advised them to get a backup power-supply for the 750.

Does anybody know how the output levels of the CP750 are set? Purely digital, or with digitally controlled pots?

- Carsten

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 05-13-2017 07:31 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The festival situation they had the CP750 stacked on equipment like books on a shelf with zero air flow and hot to the touch. The booth air conditioning was off. The pedestal was mounted backward with rack face to the front wall for non-easy service.
They spent 16 hours to install the equipment versus 4-6 hour average for the site. Did the same...relocate....power cycle...cool down with fan and AC. The "installer" company run great ads of their skills in the trade magazines. [Confused]

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 05-13-2017 08:24 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whatever creates service calls is good for them...

During the gold-rush of the digital rollout, I saw lot's of installations like that.

- Carsten

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 05-14-2017 01:07 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The CP750 has one PCB, no adjustments on it. They do not release a schematic so I don't know how the signal path looks, but it's probably totally digital until the final D-A stage. There would be no reason to go analog and insert a fader stage afterwards.

Harold Hallikainen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-14-2017 02:57 PM      Profile for Harold Hallikainen   Author's Homepage   Email Harold Hallikainen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know about the CP750, but USL processors like the JSD-60 and JSD-100 have an SPI controlled analog pot between the DAC and output line driver. Gain trim is done here to maintain maximum dynamic range. If a trim down is done before the DAC, the signal goes down, but the noise does not.

With this particular issue, did all channels go down in level? Does the CP750 front panel bar graph show the levels down? Does a booth monitor also reveal the levels down?

Good luck!

Harold

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 05-15-2017 04:29 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Harold - I told them to check these indications. However, in the mid of s screening series, their willing to do a proper analysis were limited. They were just glad it worked after rebooting and applying the fan blower...

- Carsten

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 10-20-2018 11:06 AM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 523 days since the last post.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 10-20-2018 11:06 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dolby has issued a field Bulletin on this. They claim it is caused by cooking the unit (not enough ventilation) and the repair is changing the motherboard.

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-23-2018 04:12 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep. Had this happen recently. Norm at Dolby confirmed it's a known issue with the CP750 and I had to send it in for repair. The motherboard was, indeed, replaced. I wasn't told that it was caused by overheating, but that doesn't mean it wasn't. I don't see how, though. There's nothing above the 750 in the rack, and there is a blank space between it and the monitor below.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: