Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » KDM Hell (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: KDM Hell
Roy Servis Jnr
Film Handler

- posted 05-05-2017 04:12 PM      Profile for Roy Servis Jnr   Email Roy Servis Jnr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,
Just wondered about your thoughts on kdm deliveries - good or bad.

Is there anything that could be done better? would really love some feedback!

Any ideas on ensuring theatre information is kept updated.

Happy to talk online or offline.

Regards,

Roy

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 05-05-2017 04:19 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Never had any issues with the deliveries, opening the package and extracting the actual key when using the email system.

But, sometimes where the key is generated, a bit of code gets entered in wrong making the key inoperable..

..and that has been the only issue with KDM's that I have experienced.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 05-05-2017 05:02 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only bad thing I see is KDMs being delivered late. Some of our distributors seem to have internal rules about sending out KDMs only 1 or 2 days before the feature should play. That's pretty late if you want to program shows and schedules and want to be sure the KDMs fit the features. Also not enough time if something goes wrong. Other studios send out KDM on the day the movie was booked. Wondering what they could be doing wrong...

It's annoying, but I wouldn't call it KDM Hell. All in all, we have few to no issues with KDMs at all.

- Carsten

Roy Servis Jnr
Film Handler

- posted 05-05-2017 05:04 PM      Profile for Roy Servis Jnr   Email Roy Servis Jnr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Monte and Carsten for your valuable feedback.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-05-2017 06:47 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't remember any issues, except for last week our booker assumed we would open "Guardians" on Thursday night, but we had already advertised the previous movie to play thru Thursday. But when I went to play it last night, I found an expired KDM. Five-minute phone call to Deluxe fixed the issue though. So, no horrible problems at all.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 05-07-2017 01:14 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If Deluxe/Technicolor is handling the KDM issue, there is very rarely a serious problem. The worst case scenario is a phone call a couple of hours before showtime, but they will respond with the correct KDM pretty much instantly.

The only times I've had a close shave with Deluxe/Technicolor were:

- Once, when they couldn't raise anyone at the (again, smaller and arthouse) distributor that had hired them to authorize the issue of the correct KDM.

- Once, when we replaced a server/media block and moved the former one to the other auditorium in the same building, Deluxe/Technicolor failed to record the correct serial numbers in their system correctly, and there then followed a few days of having to call them to have a KDM issued for the correct media block serial.

If KDMs are not handled by Deluxe Technicolor, however (and especially if you're dealing with a DIY-er using DCP-o-Matic, and who doesn't really understand what he or she is doing), it can be a nightmare, especially with smaller arthouse distributors, and those in a different time zone to yours. We lost two festival shows last year because a KDM was issued in Europe for their local time, for a very tight window, and without the issuer realizing that we are nine hours behind them. In one case, the KDM was only actually emailed to us (by an automated system, I suspect) after it had closed! No-one was able to answer our calls or emails, because it was 2am in Athens, and it was a small distributor with no 24/7 phone support.

Another thing to watch out for is if one distributor handles two separate movies with the same title. We had this last week when playing Orson Welles's The Trial. Rialto sent us the correct DCP drive, but a KDM for a 2004 Filipino movie of the same name. This was caught in time to issue the right KDM, but is still a potential danger point; and is one of the reasons why I encourage the other projectionists here to use the UUID when identifying a given CPL in phone/email exchanges, not the ISDCF name: it reduces the chances of confusing two DCPs, especially in situations where multiple versions arrive on the same drive, such as an unsubtitled OV and an English-subtitled VF. We've been issued the wrong KDM in those situations, too.

Roy Servis Jnr
Film Handler

- posted 05-08-2017 03:58 AM      Profile for Roy Servis Jnr   Email Roy Servis Jnr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you all for you're great feedback.

So it seems as long as you have 24/7 telephone support nothing seems an issue.

What about live chat?

What are your feelings on updating server certs yourselves via a web site? either with a secure login or authenticated link?

Having the ability to download recently issued keys?

Roy

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 05-08-2017 07:47 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it would be great if all the major issuers would have a comprehensive web-interface where you can download your KDMs and manage your certificates. Maybe even something like an API to hook up your TMS, which in turn could distribute it to your servers.

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 05-08-2017 12:39 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I suppose one other point is not to assume that all servers are exactly on time. The clock on mine, for example, is currently about 40 minutes behind. (That's supposed to be getting fixed within the next month or so.)

And if you want to insure a proper presentation, be sure to allow enough time for the projectionist to screen your film himself before showing it to the public. And don't assume that dealing with your film is the only thing that he is doing that day.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 05-08-2017 05:18 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Out of curiosity, how many different KDM senders does everyone deal with in different countries? I remember, when we installed a new media block a year ago, I sent certificate/serials to 5 email recipients I gathered from recent KDMs we received. These were the only companies we were receiving KDM emails from.

That was a rather simple process. Within (literally) seconds, we received conformations/new KDMs from these issuers. None of them were studios, all were 'just' service/mastering companies.

How is that in other countries?

- Carsten

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 05-08-2017 05:33 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just Technicolor/Deluxe here. Fox does their own keys but they come in with the Technicolor/Deluxe stuff.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 05-10-2017 04:00 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One can get their Fox keys directly from:

www.foxkeys.com

User:Fox
PW:Fox

Find your country, then state/province, city, and location.

It's all there.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 05-10-2017 11:39 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Carsten Kurz
Out of curiosity, how many different KDM senders does everyone deal with in different countries?
The answer to that is going to depend on what sort of theater you are. A typical Harkins or AMC 10-plex will probably get all of them from Deluxe Technicolor. At the other end of the scale, theaters like ours (which are very arthouse and festival heavy) will receive KDMs from 40-50 different issuers each year, located everywhere from Punta Arenas to Novosibirsk (I'm not joking: I have received KDMs issued in these two places), some of which will be one-offs who we will never deal with again.

Even so, I'd say that about 70% of ours come from Deluxe Technicolor. Most of the ones that don't are festival related (the major arthouse and rep/classics distributors in the US tend not to encrypt their DCPs), and the big festivals tend to hire someone whose job it is to wrangle them, make phone calls to Sodomistan in the middle of the night, etc. etc. The gnarly ones are the festivals that our own programmers organize, for which the KDM hell falls on us.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 05-10-2017 06:12 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thus, it looks like getting keys for tentpole features isn't the issue...

But the keys from indies and obscure locations seems to be where this issue lies....

Chase Taylor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-10-2017 06:44 PM      Profile for Chase Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Chase Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have enjoyed Cinergy from MiT, it has an option for KDM delivery and that has made my life so much easier. I have all my keys emailed to them and they ingest them for us.

The other great thing is if I have a feature that does not have a KDM ingested yet for a scheduled show or is about to expire without an holdover key it will alert me via email or text to let me know.

It will also do Health Monitoring and if something goes out of range (lamp hours, fan failures, etc etc) it will text or email you too.

Chase

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: