Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Kinoton DCP30/Barco Series 1 TCGD file - how to choose the correct one?

Author Topic: Kinoton DCP30/Barco Series 1 TCGD file - how to choose the correct one?
Michal Matys
Film Handler

- posted 05-02-2017 10:57 AM      Profile for Michal Matys     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello,
I am having an issue with Kinoton DCP30, which basically is Barco Series 1 projector.

I struggle to find how to choose the correct TCGD file in preset. It is not by default in the preset/macro setup, as for example MCGD file is. I have incorrect colors for 3D now and I found out that when I activate the correct TCGD file through communicator, it is OK, but I just need to know hot to set it up to the preset since the option is not there.

Does anyone know how to solve this? I tried to connect via ICP/enigma control program to the TI board, but did not find any option to set the preset to select this exact TCGD file I need.

Does anyone know hot this is solved in Barcos s1 projectors?

Thnanks for your ideas!

- Michal

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 05-02-2017 11:10 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Barco uses "PCF" (Projector Configuration File) files, and by extension, I'm sure Kinoton does too.

A PCF file should contain the TCGD file. A PCF is just a collection of the various configurations rather than loading each bit one at a time.

So, the key question is which server are you using and which 3D. This will affect with PCF file to choose. For instance, if you are using a Dolby server, it would be the MXFI PCF files but if it is a Doremi and most of the others it would be the YCxCz files. Both the TCGD and CSC files are different between the types of servers for 3D using HDSDI. As such, I recommend using the PCF files.

Michal Matys
Film Handler

- posted 05-02-2017 11:56 AM      Profile for Michal Matys     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello,

The problem is that those pcf files, no matter which I choose it does not help either.

The setup is doremi with dolby 3D.

Strange is that in this cinema, where I have Christie as well (s1 and s2) I had this issue on every hall. Suddenly every 3D preset had incorrect colours, in Christie I just checked the settings and used the correct tcgd, but kinoton as I said I was unable to. Maybe if I will overwrite the pcf files using files from other projector, it will be ok, I will try it out.

Any idea what could cause this that every 3d preset gets suddenly misconfigured no matter which projector model? Could some corrupted dcp cause this?

Thank you
Michal

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 05-02-2017 12:52 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On the Doremi, you need to have 3D content in your SPL to have it switch color space too.

There are the 292A_B inputs that have to be set right as well as the 3D files on the projector.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 05-02-2017 08:35 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What server? Doremi needs to have "3D" selected in the playlist properties to switch to 4:2:2 YCxCz colour output. Dolby DSS servers can do the switch automatically (use 3D colour when a playlsit includes a 3D clip). GDC... not sure. ICMP.. again, not sure.
Playing 2d 4:4:4 XYZ signal on a 3D projector setting, or the opposite, shows really super weird colour - purple or green mostly.
If the colour is not THAT bad you may have RGB or MXFI selected instead of XYZ (with a Doremi), or similar.
You should generally use the PCF that matches the format, like XYZ_1.85 for scope or whatever the filename format Kinoton uses is.
With Barco you can add other files after the pcf if you want to change from whatever it uses - like adding a REC709 colorspace line after the cinema pcf.
It makes no sense that the entire complex screwed up at once. The only idea I have is that there's a TMS and its playlist generation has been messed up. Different TMS systems make up playlists in different ways but all need some site specific template or something. My guess is that the 3D playlists are not changing the server to 3D mode. If you have any IMB systems, these would not have any problem with that because 3D colour and signal is identical to 2D.

Michal Matys
Film Handler

- posted 05-04-2017 04:53 AM      Profile for Michal Matys     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

The server is Doremi.

I have solved this issue, what I had to do is that I downloaded PCF files form kinoton in other site (only MXFI_185 and MXFI_239 I needed for dolby 3D) and I had to rename those and load to the projector, since the original ones cannot be deleted/modified. Then I had to connect via ICP/enigma control program to TI board and I had to configure correct TCGD file to my PCF file I just loaded to the projectors. The colors are ok when I selected this PCF in the projector macro. When I tried to configure the TCGD for the current MXFI format, it would not let me for some reason.

Although I am glad that this is solved, I still dont understand how something like this can happen, both kinotons on this site showed this issue, as well as christie series 1 and 2.

- Michal

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 05-04-2017 05:00 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What software version is running on these kinotons? Sounds like a corrupted file/file system.
But on multiple different systems at the same time and out of the blue?

- Carsten

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 05-07-2017 10:33 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you updated the Doremi servers? I kind of remember there was a Dolby3D issue when a 3D playlist was running 2D content and I think this was addressed at some point.
Also, if memory serves, only Dolby servers use MXFI PCF files for Dolby 3D?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: