Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » The Film Freeze For a Few Second (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: The Film Freeze For a Few Second
Ananta Rusdyanto
Film Handler

- posted 04-28-2017 09:39 AM      Profile for Ananta Rusdyanto   Email Ananta Rusdyanto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all,
I'm a newbie here, i have a problem with my projector. I operate a Barco DP2K-20C projector, the problem is when i play a film, the film freeze for a few time. The duration of freeze is about 10 to 20 seconds. To dix it, i have to raid the storage and re-ingest the film. It does fix the freeze problem, but if i ingest a new film without raid, the film freeze again.
Is there anyone had the same problem with me and is there any solution for that?please let know...

Thank's

|  IP: Logged

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 04-28-2017 09:50 AM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We had a similar problem this year. However, with the complexities of these machines in mind, the causes of our respective problems may be different.

At the start of our season, we had our machines updated, which is customary. Usually, this causes no problems. This year however, we had problems with two projectors, where we'd go into encrypted content with no sound, or no picture, or perhaps both. Power cycling the projector was required to fix the problem.

Then, "Beauty and the Beast" froze on us, twice in the same performance. The freeze lasted longer than a few seconds... more like 30, but the show started itself back up on both occasions.

Long story short, it turned out that two of our IMBs did not like the latest update. Our service company regressed back to what we had last year and there have been no problems. Dolby wants our IMBs so they can study the problem. However, we're just out of warranty and they aren't offering anything for the opportunity to study our cards... we'd have to pay to replace them. Our service company sees no immediate problem with leaving well enough alone, for now, so the cards are staying put.

We also discovered that, coincidentally, we were experiencing progressively-worse failures in 3 of the 9 hard drives in our booth. We replaced all 9, taking the opportunity to install larger drives.

So far, no further issues.

Barco DP2K-23 and 32B projectors, Doremi servers.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 04-28-2017 10:30 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
By and large, if you are getting image freeze on shows, you are experiencing an underflow issue. That almost always points back to the RAID. So that is where I'd start...are the drives good? Check the SMART logs and see if you have any errors or high reallocated sector counts (over 100). The other thing to note is if the reallocated sector count is climbing at anything higher than 1 every couple of months (if that). If you are getting several a day, that drive is failing.

If the drives are good (and the SMART data is not a vindication of the drive but it can point to a bad one), then check on communication between the RAID and the mediblock (Ethernet cables, PCIe cables, etc.).

The logs though are your best friend to see what happened. The server should note if the data isn't coming fast enough to keep the should continuous.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 04-28-2017 01:01 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(You are in the wrong section, this belongs to Digital Cinema!)

What server are you using? What do you mean with "raid the storage", wipe it?
As Steve says it's likely an HDD failing. Unfortunately RAID arrays are not always smart enough to prevent that from happening.
And - apologies for the bad joke - make sure you're running the latest Java version [Wink]

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 04-28-2017 02:25 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A fried recently had that on a Dolby DSS200, stuttering during a show, fine after a reboot, reoccurred the next day, and so on. I told him to look at the drive LEDs, and the second drive was red. I told him to replace it, and the problem was gone.

- Carsten

Ananta Rusdyanto
Film Handler

- posted 04-28-2017 10:02 PM      Profile for Ananta Rusdyanto   Email Ananta Rusdyanto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank's all for the explanation, like i said in the first place, i was a newbie here, so i apologize for my mistake.
For the information, we use a barco alchemy server.
Like Marco and Carsten said, I think one of the HDD is failing, because i have seen it before that the third HDD is red. After i raid them the HDD led back to normal, but i think the third HDD still failed and didn't run properly.
I'll try to change the HDD with the new one and see if the problem fixed with HDD replacement.

Thank's all.
Best Regards, Ananta Rusdyanto

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 04-28-2017 11:02 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with Steve. Every time I have had issues with shows freezing, it's been because one or more RAID drives were failing. Some times a quick fix is to remove the failing drive from the RAID, but this is only a short term fix.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-29-2017 10:05 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First note that all server manufacturers consider hard drives an expendable item like xenon lamps are. Only the drive manufacturers warranty usually applies.

You can look at the individual drive errors in the S.M.A.R.T. info in the servers Admin panel to determine which drives are failing. If your server is at the 5 year old mark just replacing them is the right thing to do, because they ARE at this point in time going to fail sooner than later. 5 years is pretty good for a set of drives running in RAID where they are constantly checking the data. I change out all drives in a complex at the 5 year mark irregardless and never have any issues this way.

I have seen poorer life (2 to 3 years average) out of the 2.5" HGST drives that GDC uses in the PDP-3000, and I am looking at other drive options to use in those. The factory drives are only 5400 RPM and the 7200 rpm HGST drives might be a more reliable option for just a few bucks more because those are also used in IT data servers.

Mark

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 04-30-2017 09:43 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I still do not know what "after I raid them" means.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-30-2017 11:10 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After I raid them means build the raid....

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 04-30-2017 05:52 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
re-initialise the whole RAID array???

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 05-01-2017 04:06 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I do Barco maintenance where I have to shut down the GDC then the projector, I also reboot the PSD-3000 while projector is down.

We do weekly reboots to eliminate these freezes. Otherwise, I'll get a house where the presentation will start to skip and freeze.

Yes, we have those 54K spin drives in our PSD units, but read that these drives are specially made, even though they are not enterprise drives, for cinema use.

I always wonder on buffer underrun with the slower spin drives.

-Monte

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 05-01-2017 04:19 AM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Marco Giustini
re-initialise the whole RAID array???
Simple process, so long as you switch only one drive at a time. not much more difficult to do all 3 at once, though you'll lose your content if you do it that way.

In my case, I duplicate my content across all 3 of my servers, so I was able to replace all 3 drives at once. Took 4 or 5 hours to rebuild the RAID, then the rest of the day to re-ingest all the content from one of the other servers. Did all 3 servers over a couple of days that way.

Don't know if it would be less time to replace only one drive...

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 05-01-2017 05:37 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jack

I guess you mean re-build a RAID by removing a drive and re-installing it back in?
Just to be clear, this should NEVER be necessary - as you should not reboot a server weekly to avoid freezes.
Those are computers, they are supposed to work. If your picture freezes on a regular basis, there is a SW/HW problem which will need to be addressed.

Re-building the raid/re-ingesting will probably cause the content to end up on a different part of the platters, which is not affected by the fault.

Re-building/re-initialising is not the solution and in the long term will unnecessarily wear those drives out.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 05-01-2017 07:14 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would hope that the drives the PSD are using are "enterprise" grade RAID drives. Using desktop/laptop drives would be a recipe for failure. The "mentality" of a desktop/laptop drive over a raid drive is completely different. A raid drive presumes it is part of a raid so if it gets something unreadable, it marks it bad and moves on. A desktop/laptop drive presumes it is the only drive in use and will re-read for some time trying to recover the data and thereby hang a raid that is trying to read new data continuously.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: