Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Setting up a UPC-28C for Closed Caption

Author Topic: Setting up a UPC-28C for Closed Caption
Andy Bundy
Film Handler

- posted 04-27-2017 05:57 PM      Profile for Andy Bundy   Author's Homepage   Email Andy Bundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey everyone,

My theater is in the process of setting up our Closed Captioning to get up to ADA standards and the such. We went with the USL UPC-28C that sends both the HI/VI as well as the Closed Caption. We have the Audio part setup, but the CC part is throwing me off. We have the GDC SX2000A and I'm having the hardest time figuring out how to setup to show the captions from the server. The manuals are not making sense to me, and I couldn't find any other help on the subject.

I appreciate any help I can get.

Thanks!
Andy

|  IP: Logged

Stephan Shelley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-27-2017 06:29 PM      Profile for Stephan Shelley   Email Stephan Shelley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First you need to run a cat 5 cable between the emitter panel and the switch that the server and projector connect to. Use the web interface of the emitter panel to set a unused network address on that network and also the address of the GDC server. The default address of the panel and default login are in the manual. Once you change the address of the panel you will lose connection. You will need to reconnect using the address you assigned.

In the configuration maintenance menu on the GDC server go to Captions and check the box for the USL unit. That should do it.

Andy Bundy
Film Handler

- posted 04-27-2017 06:41 PM      Profile for Andy Bundy   Author's Homepage   Email Andy Bundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now, I wasn't here when they initially set up the GDC server, and there are 3 different IP Addresses that I found while looking through the server. The network eth0, eth1 and one in the options for Time Code. Which one do I use for the DCS IP? I'm not sure which one, and what each links to. I think that is what's throwing me off.

Stephan Shelley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-27-2017 07:01 PM      Profile for Stephan Shelley   Email Stephan Shelley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Look at the address of the projector and the one you want to use is the one that is on that network. another way is trace the cable to the management switch and see which port it is plugged into on the back of the server.

Should mention that if you are on one of the NOCs they will have a specific address the the CC unit should be and a specific port that it is plugged into on the management switch.

Harold Hallikainen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-27-2017 11:25 PM      Profile for Harold Hallikainen   Author's Homepage   Email Harold Hallikainen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Feel free to call USL (+1 805 549 0161). As I recall, on the GDC, you use the ETH0 IP address. You can test it by using Tera Term or Putty to make a TCP connection to the server at that IP address on port 4170. If the connection is accepted, captioning should work. Note also that on the GDC, when you check the box to enable captioning, the SMS needs to be restarted. It only reads the checkbox on start (I have not checked the latest GDC software, so this may not still be true, but a reboot or SMS restart does not hurt and can fix things). Finally, the IRC-28C has a very extensive streaming log on port 10001. You can connect to it with Tera Term or Putty and see what's going on. Is it connecting to the server? Is it getting RPL URLs? Is it getting the timed text files? and so on.

Good luck! Give us a call if you need further help.

Thanks!

Harold

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: