Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Barco DP2K-8S - ICMP vs HDMI connect

Author Topic: Barco DP2K-8S - ICMP vs HDMI connect
Danny Griffith
Film Handler

- posted 04-03-2017 08:46 PM      Profile for Danny Griffith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi All,

I run a venue that uses a Barco DP2K-8S projector. We've had intermittent troubles with HDMI connectivity (works sometimes, then doesn't) and now the HDMI port will not receive signal at all.

We needed connectivity from the stage so we applied the following connection solution (btw this is over about a 25m distance as the crow flies):

Stage/Laptop - HDMI cable > HDMI / CAT6 booster > CAT6 cable 35m > HDMI / CAT6 booster (as receiver) > HDMI cable > projector HDMI port.

The installers are claiming that this connection has fried the ICMP board in the projector. My question is....... is this possible?

My thinking is that the voltage of any or all of these cables is so low that frying a $15,000 piece of hardware seems improbable. All power outlets are earthed and surge protected too.

Any advice is appreciated

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 04-03-2017 08:57 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A typical HDMI over CAT cable is based on the HDBaseT format. If you are just using some form of signal booster, who knows what the results are unless you put a proper scope on it to see what the waveforms are looking like.

If you plug a signal directly into the unit (skip the extender), does it also not work?

Note too, it can be the crappy cable that damages an HDMI connector too.

Generally speaking, CAT6 buys you little or nothing when moving A/V signals. More importantly, one should use shielded cable (STP CAT5e normally outperforms UTP CAT6/6A).

Again, I'd stick to a standard like HDBase-T or a well supported firm like Extron or Crestron for such HDMI extensions.

Ben Schulz
Film Handler

- posted 04-03-2017 10:35 PM      Profile for Ben Schulz   Email Ben Schulz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Danny

It may be that is has fried the board due to hot swapping, which can happen. Barco's are a little more friendly than Christie's with this but it can still happen.

Hope this helps.

John Roddy
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-03-2017 10:39 PM      Profile for John Roddy   Author's Homepage   Email John Roddy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it possible the output from the stage was delivering PoE as well as the A/V signal (more likely HDBase-T, as Steve mentioned)? HDMI only uses 5V, but typical power over ethernet is 48V. That could potentially result in the receiver getting 48V instead of the 5V it's expecting, and if it's not particularly well designed, it might not adjust for it and just pass that straight to the projector port.

It's a stretch, but that's the only explanation I can think of.

Also, for reference, 25ft+ HDMI cables are not that expensive. I actually own a 50ft cable that's supposed to be fully compatible with all HDMI bells & whistles (4K@60Hz, HDR, ARC, and other assorted abbreviations). I think it was only around $30 on Amazon. Anything rated for HDMI "high speed" should be able to do at least any 2K demand you put on it.

Danny Griffith
Film Handler

- posted 04-04-2017 12:29 AM      Profile for Danny Griffith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks guys, Very informative.

I guess we'll have to wait and see what the technicians say has happened!

Ben Shulz - I did a little research on hot swapping HDMI and you may be right - although people generally say that with better protected equipment (I'm putting the Barco projector in this basket) it will cause handshaking problems at worst. This was indeed happening and I know we were plugging in and out frequently when trouble-shooting.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 04-04-2017 01:40 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It may indeed be that your HDMI-CAT6 receiver fried the HDMI input, but it doesn't necessarily have to happen, it may have been an unlucky choice.

I am usually quite concerned about expensive devices with a single HDMI port. So what I usually prefer to have is another device in front of that connector that allows some safety protection from hot-plugging, connector-wear, etc. Typically, another HDMI repeater, switcher, splitter, etc. In this case, a switcher/matrix would be useful anyway, since it would allow to switch from the stage HDMI to a local booth HDMI.

I would first backup the ICMP and projector settings, then do a full reset in Communicator, then try again after the unit has been unpowered completely for a while.
If this ICMP must be repaired, you may just as well ask Barco wether they could supply you with the new dual HDMI2.0 module.

Do you have a link to the HDMI-CAT booster you used?

There are some devices that allow to power either the receiver or transmitter side remotely, so you have a common ground, getting you out of potential ground-loop issues. For some installations, optical fibre is advisable.

If this signal is running over a standard CAT5/6/7 installation (patch panels, wall sockets, patch cables, etc.), make extra sure no one can ever swap cables unwittingly. What type of cable is running between stage and booth - stranded, or solid wire, wall plugs, shielded/unshielded?

There are converters from HDMI to Displayport (note that this direction is special, there are many cheap cables doing it the other way round), but on the ICMP these may be a bit problematic, as you can't adjust the Gamma or color coding on these ports. If that stage HDMI is mainly intended to connect a remote computer/laptop, I would advise to use the ICMPs Displayport for that connection, and connect HDMI only locally to consumer equipment like DVD/Bluray.

HDMI can be a beast. But the good thing is, there are so many affordable converters from and to every imaginable format available. I just found a unit in one of my daily newsletters that will convert and switch either HDMI, DP or VGA to it's HDMI output, and costs only around 70US$.

- Carsten

Danny Griffith
Film Handler

- posted 04-04-2017 08:27 PM      Profile for Danny Griffith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Danke sehr Carsten!

The HDMI extenders were Aten / Van Cryst VE800's. I work in Cambodia so we kind of have to work with what's here. The postal service has a nasty habit of "disappearing" things, even if on the off chance a company agrees to send things here (!)

As far as the CAT6 cable goes it's Schneider Electric UTP 75C (unshielded I believe?) EIL Verified to TIA-586-C.2

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 04-05-2017 06:33 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ATEN is a major company out of Taiwan with global distribution. The model you are using is a simple extender box which I have used to a Christie projector over a protected CAT 6 dual run with no issues.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 04-05-2017 08:38 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With an 8s you don't have a choice of alt content inputs as it does not have DVI input like the larger Barcos or many other projectors have - what the IMB/IMS/ICMP gives you is all there is... so carping about the limited ability to control the image quality (colour space, gamma, etc) on their HDMI or DP inputs is pointless. Note that the Barco ICMP disables the DVI inputs on B and C series projectors as well.
HDMI is complex and somewhat easily "confused", unexpectedly either completely failing to connect or forcing a lower video quality. A tested setup can crap out at showtime.
Adding an HDMI switcher can help... conversely they can cause more problems than they solve.
I haven't used that extender but have had a lot of trouble with extenders. We use the Kramer active extenders with their CAT6-STP cable, the units work as advertised and we have some recourse if there's trouble: Kramer basically guarantees the advertised performance when you use their cable. Others may say "60M with CAT5 cable" but if that doesn't work... you're on your own.
I have had some problems with Dolby IMB HDMI inputs. The connector is recessed fairly deep behind the front panel and some HDMI cables don't connect properly. Cutting away a bit of the cable plug plastic so the tip can go in deeper has solved a few cases where I could not get the HDMI input to work. The Barco ICMP doesn't have this particular problem.
I have never managed to get audio through an ICMP DP input, the documentation claims that current firmware will handle DP audio but we've yet to hear any.
I have had an IMS HDMI input fail with some hardware problem, the "OK" LED was on but no image or sound. Dolby replaced the server under warranty.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 04-05-2017 10:51 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
if the 'booster' is a proper HDMI to cat5 extender, then I can't see why you should have fried the HDMI port - besides having bad luck.

Can you display anything from, say, a blu ray player directly connected to the port using a short HDMI cable?

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 04-05-2017 03:54 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Danny Griffith
As far as the CAT6 cable goes it's Schneider Electric UTP 75C (unshielded I believe?) EIL Verified to TIA-586-C.2
Verification for these cables is for Ethernet/LAN use. 30-50m unshielded cable with such an extender calls for trouble. Are you able to replace that cable with proper S/FTP CAT6 or CAT7? It has become nearly impossible to get unshielded cable over here, since the difference in price has grown neglectable, and everyone want's to see the thick orange CAT7 here.

The ATEN VE800 that I just googled is available over here too - but is one of those units needing two CAT5/6/7 cables - these are the cheapest type of units, I think they are unreliable on longer runs compared to those that use only a single cable.

Did you try to get a picture from a BluRay/DVD Player connected to the ICMP locally?

- Carsten

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 04-06-2017 06:28 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The single Cat5e/6/7 HDMI extenders I've seen use some kind of data compression. I've one of them, the output is terrible and it messes around with your colors too. There might be better implementations though. Those things should be pretty safe to connect to your HDMI ports, since the HDMI signal is actually generated inside of the receiver.

The others all use two cables and usually split the TMDS (the actual data) and DDC (the control data) part of the HDMI signal over the two Cat5e/6/7 cables. Those things actually just split the HDMI wires over the Cat* cables and boost the HDMI signal. I'm always a bit reluctant to hook those things up to something pretty expensive, because if the receiver is acting erratically and the receiving equipment doesn't have adequate safeguards, I risk blowing up the port.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 04-06-2017 07:34 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Marcel - while you can judge the typical dual CAT5 extender as simple 1:1 level converters, you can not base assumptions about other devices solely on their use of a single cable.
To my knowledge, there are three prominent types of single cable extenders:
- Serializer/De-Serializer (similiar to HDMI-SDI converters)
- HDBaseT standard devices (the more expensive ones)
- IP based 're-encoding' type. These actually compress in near realtime to lossy codecs like MJPEG and use a streaming-like technology. They can be routed over switches, offer multipoint connections, etc. - but they show some inherent latency and compression artifacts. But typically, as IP based devices, they can utilize the maximum allowed length of an ethernet segment, and more with interconnecting switches easily.

I would not recommend this third lossy compressing type,unless there is a special applicational need for it. Considering the complexity of transmitter and receiver with a codec and IP core, I was surprised to find some of these at prices well below 100€ per pair.

HDBaseT is certainly the type to prefer, being the most robust, and an industry standard, but sometimes too expensive.

The serializer/de-serializer type is HDMI transparent, there is no lossy compression or latency involved, but the cheaper units need high quality cables for longer cable runs, and/or will not work reliably over cable lengths of more than 50-60 metres. Within those limits, I have found these to be working reliably, at a cost of 50-60€ per transmitter/receiver pair. Some of them offer automatic or manual cable length equalization.

The serializer/deserializer type is also available for optical fibre connections, but at even higher prices. HDMI-HDSDI-HDMI may be another option if coax cable is available or preferred.

- Carsten

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 04-07-2017 06:36 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Consider too, with the HDBaseT stuff, many (non-DCinema) projectors and switches now accept that signal so you may only need 1/2 of the equipment to utilize it. It also allows for powering one end from the other and even moving Ethernet and/or control signals over the single CAT cable so there may be other economies in using an established defacto standard. Even the likes of Extron, which likes proprietary things has bowed, somewhat, to HDBaseT (some of their switchers have now have a switch position for it).

We recently put in a Panasonic projector that, with a single Ethernet cable had communication with the projector for control, "HDMI" video signal as well as their web interface. That used to be up to three cables (RS232 for control, Ethernet if you wanted the web interface that is handy for configuration, and the video signal via HDMI...now all just one Ethernet and, as I said before, you just need to supply the one end.

With HDBaseT you are also not locked into a single manufacturer for either end too, as evidence by above (Panasonic projector with Extron and Atlona switches, extender).

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: