Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Calibrating via IMB/IMS ?

Author Topic: Calibrating via IMB/IMS ?
Alan Gouger
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-25-2017 05:59 PM      Profile for Alan Gouger   Author's Homepage   Email Alan Gouger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it possible to calibrate playing back the patterns using the projectors internal IMS? If so where would you enter the data.
I have the content meant for use with the server supplied by Qalif.

|  IP: Logged

Alan Gouger
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-25-2017 07:15 PM      Profile for Alan Gouger   Author's Homepage   Email Alan Gouger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I dont think I worded my question properly and time has expired I can no longer edit my post. Trying to explain it better below.

I have the calibration patterns for use with the server/IMS supplied by Qalif.

If measuring the patterns during playback from the projectors IMS where or how would you enter the data?

Jose Angel Velasco
Film Handler

- posted 03-26-2017 04:08 AM      Profile for Jose Angel Velasco   Author's Homepage   Email Jose Angel Velasco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What are you measuring? And, what data do you need to enter?

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 03-26-2017 06:25 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Color is calibrated in the ICP using ICP pattern files on TI projectors. You can use a server playback of full white to set/calibrate image brightness. Lens settings and image masking can be adjusted using ICP patterns or playback patterns but ICP patterns are usually used.
What else is required?

Harold Hallikainen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-26-2017 10:04 AM      Profile for Harold Hallikainen   Author's Homepage   Email Harold Hallikainen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The original poster mentioned Qalif, which is similar to the USL LSS-100P and a similar product from Cinema Test Tools. Each of these products uses a test DCP. The projected image is analyzed for color and luminance. Speaker SPLs are also measured. The results are reported to a database for further analysis and trend detection.

Some information on LSS color measurement is at http://ftp.uslinc.com/ftp/Products/LSS-100P/Documents/Technical/ColorMeasurement/ColorMeasurment%20LSS_160525.pdf .

A manual on the LSS, which gives more idea of the concepts of this type of instrument, is at http://ftp.uslinc.com/ftp/Products/LSS-100P/Software/Firmware/beta/LSS-100P_UserManual_160817.pdf .

Information on Qalif is at http://h-t-solutions.com/qalif/ .

Information on the Digital Test Tools system is at http://digitaltesttools.com/ .

Harold

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 03-26-2017 11:05 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave is correct in that for DLP projectors, the color is calibrated in the ICP. Now it is true that most people use the internal patterns to calibrate the projector (actually, it is the full on "pattern" on the formatter boards that is used for calibration (hence they are also called "uncorrected" and are accessible regardless if the RGB 12bit color patterns are present or not).

That said, the "proper" way is to use the server itself to play a full red/green/blue/white pattern (the way 3D does it). This takes into account the full signal path and any potential influences to the image. Ideally, it should make no difference but if something is adversely affecting the color, using the test patterns from the server will take that into account.

As such, using the Qualif patterns from your server should allow the unit to make an appropriate MCGD file for color correction.

The IMS has nothing to do out of the ordinary. Where an IMS CAN affect color is on its alternate content inputs like HDMI. On the IMS1000/IMS2000 there are indeed YCrCb versus RGB versus Auto settings. Furthermore, I've found that if you leave it in Auto, odds are the black levels will suck on the IMS series(for alternate content). I would presume they will eventually fix this.

Alan Gouger
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-26-2017 12:54 PM      Profile for Alan Gouger   Author's Homepage   Email Alan Gouger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Harold and Steve you explained it much better then I.

I want to accomplish the same thing as the Qalif measuring the entire signal path but without having to use the Qalif.
So bypassing the internal patterns using patterns played from the server I would still have to go back and enter that data in ICP calibration program, there is no other location to add this data?

Thank you!

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 03-26-2017 02:35 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Essentially, no. Depending on your projector, there will be a means to do it in their respective UIs but that is just an alternate means of communicating with the ICP.

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 02-05-2019 02:59 PM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 681 days since the last post.

Ioannis Syrogiannis
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-05-2019 02:59 PM      Profile for Ioannis Syrogiannis   Email Ioannis Syrogiannis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Harold Hallikainen

Some information on LSS color measurement is at http://ftp.uslinc.com/ftp/Products/LSS-100P/Documents/Technical/ColorMeasurement/ColorMeasurment%20LSS_160525.pdf .

A manual on the LSS, which gives more idea of the concepts of this type of instrument, is at http://ftp.uslinc.com/ftp/Products/LSS-100P/Software/Firmware/beta/LSS-100P_UserManual_160817.pdf .

The following links would be more up-to-date. I guess that, since the links are already shared, it wouldn't be bad to point out the difference:

http://ftp.uslinc.com/Products/LSS-100P/Documents/Technical/ColorMeasurement/ColorMeasurment%20LSS_160525.pdf

http://ftp.uslinc.com/Products/LSS-100P/Documents/LSS-100P_UserManual_160817.pdf

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: