Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » "Before I Fall" - VERY dark

Author Topic: "Before I Fall" - VERY dark
Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 03-24-2017 02:48 AM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did anyone here have a problem with this title? I don't recall us running into anything we nearly couldn't play. This one looks like it'll be first.

The entire show is nearly unwatchable, and once the lights come up, you might as well forget about the credits.

Yes... tried it on all 3 screens. It's not the equipment.

It's running as a 2nd feature... suspect it's too late to do anything about it this weekend.

|  IP: Logged

Martin Murray
Film Handler

- posted 03-26-2017 05:15 AM      Profile for Martin Murray   Email Martin Murray   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Drive-in dcp's should be addressed. No reason it can't be done.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 03-26-2017 10:58 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A couple things that can be done on dark DCPs for the likes of drive ins. If there is a 3D version of it available and you have an HDSDI system, run the 3D version that is already timed for low-light and just use one eye (set up a preset that just looks at HDSDI A OR B). Try lowering the gamma a bit easier to do on some projectors than others BUT if you have the gamma files, they can be loaded onto any DLP projector. Working directly with the ICP program, it is possible to raise the "brightness level" too because basically your black level is too low unless you are near 14fL and most DIs are not.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 03-26-2017 04:15 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok with lowering the gamma but I disagree on the black level! Yes, raising the brightness will *also* raise the lower levels of the picture but it will also raise the black level indeed, which is already mediocre on DLP machines.
I wouldn't recommend touching gamma or brightness on D-Cinema content to be honest - there is no way a DLP can get that wrong and if your picture is dark the only solution is to make sure you are hitting the 14fL target - or report the issue to the distribution.
If cinemas start tinkering with gamma and brightness on their projectors, it'll only get worse!

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 03-26-2017 07:10 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When you are talking about a drive in, hitting 14fL may not be practical. And even if you do hit 14fL, the typical drive in screen looks UGLY.

Remember too, sometimes what you are combating in an outdoor environment is light polution too, including from mother nature herself. So raising the black level isn't really hurting you...you were never going to see those details anyway.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 03-27-2017 09:28 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't realise we were talking about a Drive in.

I'm still shivering to the idea that the average cinema may decide to compensate for poor light levels by tinkering with the ICP though!

Steve Wilson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-01-2017 01:35 AM      Profile for Steve Wilson   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw Star Wars: Rogue One at a local theater. I compalined to myself that the owner was too cheap to put in a new bulb. Then I had the same movie at my Drive In Theater and it was just as dark and unplayable as I had remembered it at the indoors theater. As Martin Says, it easy to make drive in prints a bit lighter and the time has come especially given all the different exposures given over to Imax theaters and their limited numbers. Go Martin GOL

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: