Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Color Space Conversion YUV/RGB to XYZ

Author Topic: Color Space Conversion YUV/RGB to XYZ
Jordi Aguila
Film Handler

- posted 03-23-2017 11:33 AM      Profile for Jordi Aguila   Email Jordi Aguila   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi to all,

normally the mastering DCP softwares have the option to change the color space from YUV/RGB to XYZ directly, but all the cinemas works in P3 and we have tested in our color grading room to change from DCP in XYZ to YUV/RGB directly (like the mastering softwares) and we see that we don't have the same color but, if we change first to P3 and then to YUV/RGB we see the same on the screen and in our monitor.

In resume: to do a correct color space conversion, we have seen that is necesary to 1st change to P3 and then apply the conversion to XYZ.

Anyone can confirm this color space conversion workflow?
And why the softwares don't do the correct way?

Thank you.

|  IP: Logged

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 03-23-2017 12:24 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't do color conversion work on video, but do it all the time with image graphics. I usually get better results by working in deeper color bit depths and doing the conversions in such a color space.

For instance I can go from RGB, CIE L*a*b and CMYK more effectively in 16-bit per channel depth and deal with gamma limit differences more easily, avoiding all kinds of strange noise and banding in the image. There's 65,000 levels from white to black in each channel rather than only 256 in 8-bit per channel color.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 03-23-2017 03:24 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
XYZ is the storage colorspace of the DCP. P3 is the transfer/display colorspace of projectors.

Sourcecolorspace -> XYZ->DCP->Server->P3->projector.

There is no error in converting common source colorspaces to XYZ directly (these conversions may be very different for different source colorspaces).

Without knowing what your hardware and software is setup and calibrated to, I have no idea what might be wrong.

- Carsten

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 03-23-2017 08:00 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On our Barco units, we have created a macro preset with adjusted color space settings (PCF files) created for such external video sources via HDMI input.

This was all due to the color space being different from those outside sources than the actual default DCP color space.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: