Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Series 3 Projectors (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Series 3 Projectors
Greg Routenburg
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-20-2017 12:12 PM      Profile for Greg Routenburg   Email Greg Routenburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was looking up some specs on the Christie Digital website this afternoon and discovered a new model listed, the 2308, which they are referring to as Series 3. Does anyone have any information on this new up and coming series of projectors and how they will differ from Series 2?

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-20-2017 12:36 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Everyone is working up their Series 3 stuff, there will be some on display at Cinemacon. You ought to steal Gord's ticket and attend it this year.

Mark

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 03-20-2017 03:09 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Barco has been calling their ICMP equipped "Alchemy" projectors "Series 3" for a while now. I do not know what the difference is between S2 and S3...?

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 03-20-2017 05:09 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Marketing? There is a new cinema controller on the latest Barco projectors and they called it Series 3. The Alchemy indeed integrates the ICP but the engine is still the same.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 03-20-2017 08:14 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The new CCB design is because some chips on the original are NLA, according to rumors I've heard. Not for any big improvement.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 03-21-2017 07:03 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Considering that the new CCB is a drop-in replacement, no it isn't the big change to "series 3." Their ICMP could be considered a dramatic change because it busts the 500Mb/s limit and expands the resolution/frame rate capabilities.

I'm not sure there really needs to be a distinction now between the "series." With Series 0/Mark VII stuff to series 1, you had the obvious 1.2K going to 2K changes as well as going from 4:2:2 single link video to 4:4:4 dual-link. Again, moving from series 1 to series 2, you had a huge shift in how security and processing was to be handled with a standardized slot for where a mediablock could be used and a strong push to make it an IMB type mediablock. The processing power of the series 2 also went up as 24fps 3D was designed in from the onset (remember how most series 1 projectors, designed in 2003/2004 couldn't do full-frame 3D due to processing bottlenecks). Series 2 projectors are the first "DCI Compliant" projectors with Series 1 projectors having bandaid type DCI fixes (GORE board).

So, unless the rules change, I just don't see series 3 making such a distinction. I do see the individual projector companies evolving their projectors. One could say the newer RGB laser projectors are such an evolution.

Arnold Chase
Film Handler

- posted 03-21-2017 10:26 AM      Profile for Arnold Chase   Email Arnold Chase   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With regard to the Christie line, it appears that in addition to a new user interface, they are finally getting serious about allowing alternative content (UHD, etc.) to be played more easily.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 03-22-2017 07:31 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A while ago I read an interview with the chief of TI's cinema products division in Cinema Technology Magazine.

Basically, what he said was that TI's DLP division doesn't want to be an electronics/board OEM supplier, as hey practically did with series 1 and series 2 projectors. They supplied both the design AND hardware/software of important boards, like Enigma, ICP, Cinelink, Cinecanvas, etc., so the projector manufacturers would have both a quick start, and could ensure a solid and manufacturer independent consistent operation of digital cinema systems, including the major security aspects. But they don't want to play that OEM role forever. Starting with S2K, they wanted/allowed the projector manufacturers to take more control (which also allowed to bring down the cost).

Like Barco did with their ICMP/Alchemy, which got rid of the TI ICP.

So I guess, Series 3, if there will be a common name for it at all, will designate projectors where only DLPs and probably formatter electronics come from TI.
I guess there will be no further development of TIs ICP. The enigma is done with anyway (good).

- Carsten

Steve Guttag

- posted 03-22-2017 09:58 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Enigma is still available. I agree with your assessment that TI would like to go back to just being a chip manufacturer and let the design of the systems be with the projector manufacturers.

Now when will Barco or another company release a projector like their "Loki" model (for residential) for use in Cinemas. It looks like it could be the type of design for the future. Native 2.37 (Close enough) and 5K.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 03-22-2017 11:02 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sure, Enigmas are still available. But they won't make an enigma.v2 or endorse it's future use or something. It was needed for HD-SDI, and that is now legacy technology.

- Carsten

Steve Guttag

- posted 03-22-2017 11:28 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We still put in HDSDI based systems [Razz] GDC still has their SX2001 server that supports it. For 2K systems, there isn't any disadvantage. When was the last time you had a full enigma?

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 03-22-2017 11:56 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When was the last time you had a failed enigma due to tamper switch aging ;-)

I fully understand your personal reasons for HD-SDI based systems. My personal stability experience concerning IMB/IMS is with Sony and the Alchemy, and they are as solid connection-wise as HD-SDI (if not more).

- Carsten

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 03-22-2017 12:30 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
When was the last time you had a failed enigma due to tamper switch aging ;-)
[Wink]

Steve,
You cannot possibly be praising the Enigma?? [Smile]

Jarod Reddig
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-22-2017 01:41 PM      Profile for Jarod Reddig   Email Jarod Reddig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sonys new 4K RGB laser dual engine single lens projector to be shown at CinemaCon is said by Sony to be designed with small cinema and consumer (residential) installations in mind. The prototype is gargantuan from what I hear.

Steve Guttag

- posted 03-22-2017 04:16 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm NOT an Enigma fan. I AM an SDI fan. I'm not, particularly an IMB/IMS fan. Yeah, I've come to grips with them and put them in, like everyone else, but they are not my first pick for a 2K system.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: