Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Dolby SLS Express Series (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Dolby SLS Express Series
Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 03-18-2017 02:11 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone in this forum know much about the new Dolby SLS Express Series product line? I guess it's something that is brand new or coming soon and geared toward lowering the costs of a Dolby Atmos installation. Dolby is offering SLS 3-Axis speakers, an SLS Rapid Rigging system and new Dolby multi-channel amplifiers, available in 24 and 32 channel configurations. One Dolby amplifier can replace up to 16 individual stereo amplifiers.

I hadn't heard anything about these products until stumbling upon it at the Dolby web site. In one respect I like the idea of Dolby introducing 24-channel and 32-channel amplifiers. Hopefully it will light a fire under the butts of rival companies like QSC. If you want to build an Atmos system around QSC's Q-Sys setup you'll still be buying at least a couple dozen or even more individual power amplifiers.

|  IP: Logged

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 03-18-2017 07:17 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dolby is showing the finished Amp at Cine Com week after next. They will probably show the SLS hardware as well.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-18-2017 07:36 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
An amp similar to this no doubt...
https://www.bgw.com/amplifiers/vxi/vxi88

AB systems had a 6 channel amp in the early 2000's that was a semi disaster like most of their stuff was. Personally, it's not worth installing an amp that if one channel goes bad or something in the transformer primary circuit fails it takes the whole room off line for days. Plus the Atmos systems around here would certainly qualify as "Express" systems, or bare minimum. There is nothing at all exciting about them. There are better sounding 7.1 systems around here....

Mark

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 03-18-2017 07:48 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They had the amp at CinemaCon last year (in prototype stage). Can be powered off of 3-Phase, as I recall (think about how much power you are using with that many channels!). But the power was configurable.

I liken it to the Altec Incremental Amplifiers. Dolby, last year, proclaimed it to be just for the various surround speakers.

I'm wondering if, for Atmos, people wouldn't be better served by self-powered speakers and just running a circuit down the side walls another couple in the ceiling. Get the speakers on Blulink and you are down to pretty cheap wiring, overall. Particularly on a new build.

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 03-18-2017 08:30 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Single phase only. I asked the same question a while back.

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-18-2017 10:12 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, I'm guessing (actually, hoping) an amp with this many channels
has fully redundant power supplies, so that if a stupid diode or cap
craps out, you don't suddenly loose all 24 channels.., no?

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 03-18-2017 11:49 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All valid questions to be answered. Hopefully Dolby (and its rivals have good answers to those questions). I really think commercial movie theaters need to move beyond the conventional 5.1 or 7.1 paradigm that is easy and cheap to reproduce in home theater. Dolby Atmos may be available in home theater setups, but not many people are willing to buy all the speakers and go through the work/expense of having that hardware installed. In the home theater end of things it seems like easy to install (and cheap) sound bars are all the rage. Still, I wouldn't mind having an Atmos 7.1.4 setup in my living room. I just don't want to collapse my living room's plaster ceiling in the process of installing the ".4" part of the sound system.

Steve Guttag

- posted 03-19-2017 01:03 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The problem, Bobby, is that because there is no distinction between home Atmos (or iPad Atmos, for that matter) and professional theatrical Atmos, the home, in the potential patron's ears, is the same. It is sort of Blu-ray in HD versus DCP in 2K...you can talk until you're blue in the face that they are not the same but the patron won't know the difference. There is zero marquee value in advertising "2K" or "4K". Homes already have those.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 03-19-2017 05:22 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Guttag
I'm wondering if, for Atmos, people wouldn't be better served by self-powered speakers and just running a circuit down the side walls another couple in the ceiling. Get the speakers on Blulink and you are down to pretty cheap wiring, overall. Particularly on a new build.
Similar to what Meyer Sound are doing.
I would be concerned to have, say, 35 speakers in the auditorium and also 35 amplifiers located in very difficult to access positions. If a 4-ch amplifier fails in the booth, it's a 10 minutes job to replace. If a top surround speaker fails, you'll need a tower. And the more components you add in the speaker, the more likely they are to fail.

If I remember the Dolby amplifier I was shown, it has modular sections for the secondaries but the primary is a single module so yes, there is a chance to lose the whole set of channels in one go [Wink]

Steve Guttag

- posted 03-19-2017 07:33 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Conversely, if one amplifier fails, you affect just one speaker, not four (or more).

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 03-19-2017 11:08 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well the Meyer Sound solution has the primary section of the amps in the booth - so you still have a single point of failure somewhere.
Your solution would be the most reliable but most expensive to service in case of failure.
In the end amplifiers can be very reliable and I can't recall many cinemas losing amplifiers very easily. I'd rather have them in an accessible place than on the ceiling to be honest.

Pietro Clarici
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-19-2017 11:53 AM      Profile for Pietro Clarici   Author's Homepage   Email Pietro Clarici   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is the CP850 able to re-render Atmos tracks on the fly, automatically compensating for a failed channel? That would be a plus for independent active surrounds, IMO.

Then you'd only need to get to the affected speaker at the end of the show: can't remember exactly where, but I believe I saw pictures of a setup with rows of Atmos speakers mounted on light motorized trusses. Could help with retrofitting and maintenance.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 03-19-2017 12:07 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't see it being easier/cheaper to run power and signal to each (of many, in these systems) surround.
Copper isn't cheap... but I doubt the overall cost of installing power outlets and Cobranet (or equivalent) cabling is less than running speaker wires.
Yes, a 12 channel amp will drop 12 speaker channels if/when it fails. But replacing it in a sound rack is not much of a chore.
Accessing a ceiling surround to service an integrated amp... that's a chore!
A Meyer system sounds pretty sweet. Also hella expensive and a bit less common than hen's teeth. One problem - it has no amp output monitoring capability that I know of: I think Cobranet can include that.
I haven't been fond if high channel count amps. For a 5.1 or 7.1 system I like the flexibility of 2ch amps. Going to Atmos the amp count can quickly get ridiculous - there's a decent saving in rack size, power distribution, and amp cost when you use (at least) 4ch amps for the surrounds.
Dolby obviously recognizes this. They took on SLS to have an in-house speaker supplier to reduce Atmos project speaker cost. Adding an amplifier product makes sense. I'd like to see an Atmos booth monitor too. The fairly common practice of using a DCM for screen channel crossover/monitoring leaves all the surrounds unmonitorable.

Steve Guttag

- posted 03-19-2017 02:19 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Having an electrician put in outlets along the surround route, particularly on a new-build is going to be practically free, with respect to the building costs. running CAT cable is as cheap as copper gets for audio. running speaker wire, either plenum or in conduit is far from free.

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-19-2017 04:01 PM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As systems become more complex with many identical components, the obvious direction to take the hardware is to modularize it. Many hard drives in a system and replacements can be changed easily. Many audio amplifiers hot swap-able.

Reducing the fixed pieces of the system to highly reliable components to make the entire system more reliable. Like common power supplies with extreme designed components. Probably one spare per multiplex.

The broadcast industry has made the concept of minimum failures with duplicate spares a way of life. Why not theatres?

Modern stage lighting systems are an example with many swap-able dimmers operating from the same supply. DMX controls managed through swap-able drivers in the rack.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: