Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Color issue Barco DP2K20C

Author Topic: Color issue Barco DP2K20C
Larry V. Price
Film Handler

- posted 03-17-2017 09:48 PM      Profile for Larry V. Price   Email Larry V. Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have a DPK20C with Dolby DSS 200 server. This afternoon before our first show our Technical Director brought to the booth a new made in house trailer to be tested. Colors in the trailer were weird, other content run just prior to this was fine. When playback of the bad trailer ended, we had a pink color on the screen with no content playing. Other content tested would play but with a pink cast to everything. Rebooting the server and projector did nothing. Reseating both the Enigma board and the ICP fixed the problem. The suspect trailer was re-made and I had the same result when it was tested between shows. Again, a reboot did nothing, reseating the boards cleared the problem again. Could the issue have been caused by a corrupt trailer? Or did I have two different problems occurring at the same time twice in a row? Our Technical Director has made hundreds of trailers in the past using DCP O Matic and this has never happened before. I do have both a spare Enigma and ICP board in the booth if needed. I am working at another venue tomorrow and the projectionist that will be here is less experienced than I.

|  IP: Logged

Stephan Shelley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-17-2017 09:59 PM      Profile for Stephan Shelley   Email Stephan Shelley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you using the CAT 862 mediablock? If so I bet the bad trailer has the 3D flag set and switched the DSS 200 into 3D mode. You will get pink like that when using cat 862 and twin hdsdi and the projector set to a 2D channel and the server set to 3D

Larry V. Price
Film Handler

- posted 03-17-2017 10:35 PM      Profile for Larry V. Price   Email Larry V. Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, We are using a CAT 862. I'll take a real close look at that trailer.

Stephan Shelley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-17-2017 11:18 PM      Profile for Stephan Shelley   Email Stephan Shelley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It should have a 3D ball in both the trailer and in the show title. Do you show 3D on this screen if not you can disable the auto 3D and force it to 2D.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 03-18-2017 04:55 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
or, even better, have the trailer re-done in proper 2D. Or select a 3D macro on the projector.

Larry V. Price
Film Handler

- posted 03-18-2017 02:42 PM      Profile for Larry V. Price   Email Larry V. Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The trailer in question is actually a 34 second introduction to the film by it's director. It is a recorded Skype call. The clip is not in 3D, no 3D icon on the playlist. It is, however, what is causing the problem. I remained late after the show and was able to reproduce the issue by playing only that clip. We have had color issues a few months ago with this same projector that required reseating the boards to clear it. Our service technician (Miles McRae) is at that venue right now taking a look as to what is up, I am working at another venue today. We are a non-profit and everyone here is hoping we don't need to spend $5,000.00 on a new board.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 03-18-2017 03:15 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
if all the other content works fine, you DO NOT need any spare part! [Smile]

Did you make sure the server says 2D when it's playing that clip and that the projector is on a 2D macro?

Once the screen is pink at the end, try playing a single 2D clip and confirm that the server and the projector are both in 2D mode (on the server, bottom left should read 2D). Does it go back to normal behaviour?

A pink screen should just be the wrong colour space being used, no need to re-seat boards and no need for an engineer [Wink]

Carl Hetherington
Film Handler

- posted 03-18-2017 06:34 PM      Profile for Carl Hetherington   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Hetherington   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can you make the troublesome DCP available to us to look at?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: