Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Christie 2230 Convergence Calibration

Author Topic: Christie 2230 Convergence Calibration
Lucas Iaccarino
Film Handler

- posted 03-10-2017 06:32 PM      Profile for Lucas Iaccarino   Email Lucas Iaccarino   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello.

Iīm having some convergence troubles with some Christie 2230 in a couple of Screens. The Technical manager says he doesnīt know how to calibrate them, so we are waiting for Christie Service. Could you tell me if itīs that difficult? For Barco Projectors is so easy to access there.
Thank you very much

|  IP: Logged

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 03-10-2017 10:59 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Convergence of a Christie 2220/2230 is nowhere near as easy as with a S2 Barco. To be fair though, Barcos slip out of convergence a lot more often than Christies (but take 5 minutes to fix).
It requires fairly standard tools although Christie sells a convergence tool kit. I think there's also a convergence manual separate from the normal service manual.
It is not fun. Don't try it with a deadline looming.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 03-11-2017 04:30 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For a quck fix, if there are larger overall convergence errors, there is an electronic convergence option accessible on the touch screen. Everything done there should be reset when doing mechanical convergence.

- Carsten

Lucas Iaccarino
Film Handler

- posted 03-11-2017 07:05 AM      Profile for Lucas Iaccarino   Email Lucas Iaccarino   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I Understand. So my best choice is to try the electronic convergence and then wait for Christie to repair it. Anyway I will look for the convergence manual you said.

Thank you very much

Stephan Shelley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-11-2017 11:58 AM      Profile for Stephan Shelley   Email Stephan Shelley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think there is a tech note about problems with the electronic convergence and to use the mechanical.

And I second about it not being easy. Adjustments are down deep behind the formatter boards where they mount to the prism frame and locking screws accessed through holes in the formater boards.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 03-11-2017 02:25 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Christie is pretty good about having the tools tucked under the covers. Adjusting the convergence is NOT for the faint of heart or for the experimenter. Small adjustments have great changes and you could very well make things worse. On the Christie CPxx30 series, there is also an air duct that has to be moved to gain access to some controls and while it is out of position, you are now running the risk of overheating the DMDs (you get precious little time).

I HIGHLY recommend the USL CCT camera for convergence. It can cut your time in quarters, if not tenths. Typically, with covers removed and a lot of light splashing around, using binoculars or a spotting scope can be tricky. You should have UV protection on so using those devices can be even more tricky. Plus, when looking at primary colors, the index of refraction becomes more apparent so blue will look like it is "behind" the other colors.

The electronic convergence is only supposed to be problematic on the 4K DMDs (and the S2K, I believe too). That said, it isn't convergence in the true sense, it merely is pixel shift so you can move the convergence in whole pixels. So if your convergence is off by a pixel or more, then yes that is the quick and dirty way.

I tend to agree with others, if you have a bad convergence problem, use the electronic convergence until they can be mechanically set right by someone with the proper equipment and training.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 03-11-2017 04:17 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would assume that UV has already been removed by the UV filter just before the engine vane?
Recent Christie engines don't need the DMD's to be loosened, they're spring-mounted like Barco's but they don't have the extenders. This make the adjustments much easier.
However, if you touch ANYTHING with a metal tool you'll then need a new engine which is going to be very expensive so I second everybody else's advice of NOT to attempt convergence if you have not been trained.

Stephan Shelley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-11-2017 04:24 PM      Profile for Stephan Shelley   Email Stephan Shelley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The spring loading I think started with the 4K prism. Not sure they ever did the 1.2 or .98 chip 2Ks,

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 03-11-2017 04:37 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
they said they were hoping to apply the same design on other engines. Not sure what happened then.

Lucas Iaccarino
Film Handler

- posted 04-17-2017 12:41 PM      Profile for Lucas Iaccarino   Email Lucas Iaccarino   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Already resolved. The Technical Manager fix it.
Thanks

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: