Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Trouble duplicating NC2500S lamphouse & top front panel key

Author Topic: Trouble duplicating NC2500S lamphouse & top front panel key
Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 03-06-2017 05:29 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have recently installed a used NEC NC2500S projector, that came with only one key for the lamphouse and top panel. If that gets lost or broken that would not be good news, obviously, given that both covers need to be properly shut to close the tamper and safety switches protecting them. So I'm trying to get a copy made.

I've now been to no fewer than four key duplicating places (Lowe's, Home Depot and two independent locksmiths), all of whom say that they can't duplicate the key - very unusual shape and they don't have an appropriate blank. It looks pretty ordinary to me, but there again, I'm not a lock expert.

The key has "Toshigiya" stamped into it, and the number 121 below. Toshigiya appears to be a manufacturer of a wide range of small mechanical objects, based in Tokyo. There is an authorized reseller in Long Beach, and I suppose that one option would be to contact them, but if they need to import made-to-order keys from Japan, this could end up being an expensive exercise.

Toshigiya's website lists part # 121 as being a complete lock assembly, with key. Presumably there are many different key types sold with these locks, so even if I bought a complete #121 lock set, the keys that came with it would almost certainly not fit the locks on my projector.

Has anyone managed to get one of these keys duplicated, and if so, where? I'd be a little wary of mailing our only one out of town, but might consider doing so. Alternatively, does anyone know of a model of replacement lock that would simply go on these panels without any serious modifications needed, and which is readily available in the US? I can't find any US-based vendor offering actual Toshigiya #121 lock sets for sale online.

Suggestions appreciated as always.

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-06-2017 06:35 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any of the larger locksmith places should be able to do it. They may need the lock itself though.

Mark

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 03-07-2017 10:23 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
most elevator companies or security companies can duplicate them

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 03-07-2017 04:11 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think a 'real' locksmith would be able to do it. Question is, how do you find a 'real' locksmith locally, as you are certainly not willing to send away the key to a remote company... Also wondering wether it's easier to build in a new lock. It doesn't look like a very special lock. Should be able to find fitting ones easily.

Lock-picking is a sport nowadays, maybe you can find a capable locksmith through one of their internet forum sites.

- Carsten

Rick Raskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-07-2017 04:22 PM      Profile for Rick Raskin   Email Rick Raskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The #121 looks like a common cabinet lock. Does the one in your machine look like that?

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 03-08-2017 08:12 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, which makes it all the more bizarre that four places have all told me that they can't copy it.

I guess I need to keep trying more independent locksmiths.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 03-08-2017 10:45 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Could you remove the lock and replace it with one for which you can make spare keys?

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 03-08-2017 10:56 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You could try calling NEC and ask them the specific blank that is used and or a viable substitute. If you can get that info, you can call around instead of having to visit all of the various locksmiths. Or maybe NEC will do a copy for you.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-09-2017 01:32 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Carsten Kurz
Also wondering wether it's easier to build in a new lock. It doesn't look like a very special lock. Should be able to find fitting ones easily.
If you do this check to be sure the switch hasp doesn't activate a safety micro switch like it does in Series 2 NEC's... Any replacement you install is also going to have to activate the switch or you could also bypass the switch.

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: